Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Heart Murmurs And Anxiety

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
To all my fellow anxiety sufferers.....

I have been suffering from anxiety, and recently found out that I now have a heart murmur. I know that murmurs can be a sign of valve disfunction... I am going for an echocardiogram next week.

Did you develop an anxiety induced heart murmur? I'm hoping that's all this is.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper drpepper0
|

replied March 21st, 2006
Did you find out what happened, I was also told I had a heart murmor a few weeks ago.
|

replied March 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Hey all... I havent gotten my results back yet... I will let you know what happens. Anyone recently diagnosed with heart murmurs...Please read about "innocent heart murmurs"...It will take away some anxiety. I'm saying this because the tech conducting the test said that she didnt hear a heart murmur [though, she wasnt the doc]. Love to all.
|

replied March 29th, 2006
Experienced User
My results showed that I have a slight mitral valve prolapse, but that it was "nothing to worry about".
|

replied March 30th, 2006
Praise god. Could you explain what the procedure was like?
|

replied March 30th, 2006
Experienced User
You have to take your shirt off and put one of those paper shirts on that open in the front.... And they do an ultrasound of the heart from different angles. Completely painless, no shots needed or anything.
|

replied March 30th, 2006
Could you please tell me what your symptoms were? I finally went to the er monday. They drew blood, did chest xrays, ekg, cardiogram, and a catscan of my chest to rule out a pulminary embolism. All came back fine and I was sent home with motrin.

I'm feeling a tad better but the chest pain still comes and goes. I am relieved nothing serious was found but have heard sometimes those test don't detect heart disease. Now I don't suspect heart disease, but just knowing it doesn't detect it, is a lil disconcerting.I was reading up on mitral valve prolapse and I blieve either I have that or a milder form of fibromyalgia (since I have gotten joint pain on and off the past ten yrs, not much tho...Maybe 4x a yr do I experience joint pain lasting a couple days.)
|

replied February 14th, 2010
Murmur
i recently been to the doctor and he said i had a murmur i am 20 i was born with a hole in my heart but went ot several doctors sense and they said it was grew over now recetly doctors say they do hear a murmur im just really worried any information would be greatly appciated i have to see the cardogist in a couple months and get a echocardigram, and i also suffer badly from anxiety.
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2011
Your echo results (murmur due to stress???)
What did you find out when you had the echo? I run 3-7 miles 6 days a week, have a runner's heart rate, and my heart recovers very quickly after I stop running. So here I think I have a healthy heart right? Well I went in to the drs. and he tells me I have a heart murmur-a #2 (easily heard, but soft). This is news to me as I have never been told this from past visits to other drs. I am observed annually for Lupus, but have not been diagnosed with the disease as of yet. I am very concerned it could be tied with the Lupus, and this is the start of it. Alghough my sister just told me stress can induce murmurs. Which does make sense. I have been under GREAT stress the past two months and esp. the weekend before this dr. visit. I am curious to see what you found out about yours and if they said it was due to stress. Help! Thanks!
|

replied March 15th, 2011
dont know if the last question is directed to me but gonna answer it anyways lol i went to a nurse awhile after i found out and got her to have a listen and she must have had trouble hearing it because she kept moveing the sethascope and see i can bearly hear anything ..and i moved right after taht and didnt get to get my echo ....but i feel fine now the reason i went to the doctor in the first place is because i had heart fluttering and chest pains but that was caused by all the constant stressing i was doing at the time which i HAD to stop....but if it happens again and it could i am going to go get my echo ..but to answer your question stress can cause that sound in your heart and aniexty ...or sometimes neither are the cause its just a different sound your heart makes when it beats thats all and trust me if it was a serious one you would have some signs:)
|

replied November 4th, 2012
I was born with a heart murmur which never caused me any problems until a few years ago when i lost my nan. I started suffering with depression which put a strain on my body and shortly after had an anxiety attack and was taken into hospital because of it. Since then i seem to get upset and annoyed with the smallest little things which isn't making me feel any better so i will be going back to the doctors first thing Monday morning as i am unsure what else to do, everytime i get upset my chest starts hurting, any advice from anyone suffering similar issues please?
|

replied November 4th, 2012
I was born with a heart murmur which never caused me any problems until a few years ago when i lost my nan. I started suffering with depression which put a strain on my body and shortly after had an anxiety attack and was taken into hospital because of it. Since then i seem to get upset and annoyed with the smallest little things which isn't making me feel any better so i will be going back to the doctors first thing Monday morning as i am unsure what else to do, any advice from anyone suffering similar issues please?
|