Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Fitness, Health and Nutrition Forum

Ringworm And Pregnancy

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I just got a kitten about 4 weeks ago. And now I am have developed ringworm. I have read on the internet that the most comon form of catching ringworm is from you pet (cat or dog) I am going to my family dr this week for treatment. I am concerned I just missed a period and I might be pregnant. I am just afraid that the ringworm/fungus will hurt the baby? Does any one know? Anyone ever developed ringworm during their pregnancy?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Just have it treated right away, they usually give u a topical antifungal cream to rub on the ringworm) just so u dont freak out its not actually a worm its actually bacteria/fungus (i had it and this what dr said) I have a massive phobia of worms and it can be spread so make sure if u touch it to wash ur hands or when u apply the cream wash ur hands before and after!!
|

replied March 15th, 2006
Thanks For the Advice
Thank you so much for the advice. I will make sure I wash really well. I have an appointment to take that cat to the vet also. I hope this is cleared up very soon...It is itchy!
|

replied March 15th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
If you are pregnant, remember to be very careful around the cat's litter box. Wear gloves while handling it .A.N.D wash your hands afterwards. It's not necessary to stay away from it, though. I've heard of people who have completely neglected their cats because they got pregnant. :(

i love cats. What's your kitten like?
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2006
Supporter
I didnt know you had to be so careful around a litterbox if ur pregnant, my kittens litterbox is in my room cause my dad wont let me put it anywhere else.. My kitten is 5 months old, he's black and white..

Go here to see his pic
http://www.Friendpages.Com/albums/15/30853 15.14067.jpg
|

replied March 16th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
oh_mommy wrote:
i didnt know you had to be so careful around a litterbox if ur pregnant, my kittens litterbox is in my room cause my dad wont let me put it anywhere else.. My kitten is 5 months old, he's black and white..

Go here to see his pic
http://www.Friendpages.Com/albums/15/30853 15.14067.Jpg

awww, he's adorable! I love kittens.

Yeah, there's a risk of toxoplasmosis. It's only if you happen to ingest the faeces, but that's easier than you'd think. :lol:

here, fact-sheet thingy: http://www.Cdc.Gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/to xoplasmosis/factsht_toxoplasmosis.Htm
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Just another tidbit of info I thought I had ringworm and got that antifungal cream but it was eczema, I know u can buy hydrocortisone cream over the counter but talk to ur dr first they will know what it is!!
|

replied March 16th, 2006
I tried the anti itch cream before I knew what it was. The dr said it would only mask the itch not kill the fungus. The dr said that there is no known cases of ringworm cases hurting the fetus.. I am so glad...I was really worried.
My kittens is about 4 mo old. Her name is maggie mae. She is a calico. And she loves to sleep on my lap all day long. She is a good baby.
|

replied December 12th, 2008
ringworm advise
I have a 5 week old kitten and I know have 3 ringworm spots: on left breast and armpit. I bought Lotramin and used it this am. Now what? I am also diabetic! I checked my other boys, nothing!
|

replied June 8th, 2010
ring worm in pregant women
my daughter is 28 weeks pregant and my other daughter is 13 weeks pregant is ring worm dangerous to them
|

replied January 30th, 2011
i have a friend who have a ringworm before and its coming again and again that affects his socila life:(. He had been to differrent derma but sadly it goes away in a moment but it comes back until he followed a program. In just a week,no more ringworm and no more breakout.Smile
|

replied June 24th, 2013
Ringworm treatment
Well unfortunately ringworm is very persistent and annoying. It is difficult and take a very long time to treat. Six weeks seems to be the average. It is important that the environment your cat stays in is cleaned because ringworm spores are quite resistant in the environment. Common treatments of ringworm are PetsBestRx Ringworm Medicine Pack for Small Breed Cats from Q-Based Healthcare. I worked at an animal shelter where ringworm was quite popular and in addition to giving cats medication the kittens were bathed with a dip called lyme sulfur or given a chlorohexidine bath. Even with all those treatments it still took an average of six weeks for that cats to be considered ringworm free.
|