Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Feeling Out of It/ In a Dream..help Me!!! (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I think I am having panic attacks, well I know I am. I have went to the emergency room because of them. I use to work and get out. I recently moved w/ my fiance and my 2yr old daughter. I am not working anymore, I stay at home and I am not as close to my family as I was (like 30mins away now) my fiance works 3rd shift so I don't see him, so it's just me and my daughter 24/7. That's just a little back ground on me. But this is my question, I have been off and on for maybe 4- 6months, I have been feeling out of it, like I am in a dream. I am sick of feeling weird. Also I am not really having panic attacks anymore, like I use to get shakey, hot/cold flashes, tingley, rapid heart beat, ect. I'm not like that anymore. I just feel out of it (in a dream) and lazy, also every once in a while (seems like around the time of my period, before or after) when I am asleep i'll wake up and it feels like my whole body (on the inside) is shaking/ trembling...Now that scares me. Any suggestions??? My doctor told me to get my eyes checked about the out of it feeling...Everything was fine, well I need glasses but nothing that would make me feel the way I do. I feel out of my body. And when I go out I feel strange like everyone's looking at me or something, the out of it feeling worsens, but I have the out of it feeling most of the time!!! It's driving me crazy, please help me...I have no insurance to go to a doctor again!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Lennon
|

replied March 14th, 2006
Tbh, it really sounds like stress/anxiety to me.

But i'm assuming the "feeling like i'm in a dream" "feel like i'm out of my body" sensations refer to sort of feeling detached from your surroundings? Like you see things but don't really, people might talk to you, but even if you try to listen hard, your mind wanders and you can't quite understand? I don't know if I communicated that well. If that's what you mean, then that's definitely one of my own symptoms. If not, then i'm not sure...Maybe you'll need to clarify?

I get full body shakes when I wake up, but only if it's really early, like before 6:30 a.M. Or so.
|

replied March 14th, 2006
Thanks
Thank you! That makes me feel a little bit better.
|

replied March 14th, 2006
I guess that pretty much how I am, I just can't focus or concentrate like i'm just kind of blah, it's really hard to explain it. It's kind of an out of body feeling, I feel drained/ weak no ambition
|

replied March 15th, 2006
Experienced User
What you're feeling is a normal thing for the brain to do when it's exhausted. It shuts itself down and is actually resting itself while you're still awake. That's why you feel like you're not there.

If your brain didn't do that, there's a chance you might go insane so it's a good thing.

Everyone gets that from time to time but people with anxiety focus on it and it keeps coming back from the stress of the worry. Just let it happen and it'll go away. It's totally normal.
|

replied February 11th, 2013
That helped me so much. I know you probably won't read this because it is 2013! I am 14 almost 15 and I have had anxiety since I was 12! It seems as if noone else is out there, but there is. I have been feeling spaced out and I think it is because of my video games... I love Black OPs 2 and I guess I will take a break from it. But thanks so much for posting that! I finally found a reason! Thank you!
|

replied April 28th, 2008
Drowning feeling
I am 38 years old male with minor alevated blood pressure, border line sugar in blood fasting, and colestorol 232.

Lately, I am feeling that my body has been drowning, I went to emmergency ward of a hospital who performed different tests including ECG, Bood Sugar and Blood pressure reading all the test were normal still I have the feeling including fatigue.
I am unable to understand the reason. Please advice
|

replied April 28th, 2008
Experienced User
Theres help!!
Ive only quickly glanced over your forum but it oh sounds sooooo familiar. I went through a phase of feeling totally DISASSOCIATED. First id feel panicky etc but then i just went numb and like Lennon said its your brain just shutting down. Ive been getting anxiety stuff for years. What actually saved me in the end is my just turned 4 year old daughter. Although ive done a lot of travelling etc I am very shy and used to be terribly insecure. Now i knew i didnt want my baby to end up like me so i started taking her to Library hour. Most libraries have a story hour once a week and two is the perfect age to start taking her. Through that i met other parents and found out about other things to do, cheap. A few of us got together and we now do a play-group session at the community centre after the library story hour. Its become a great succes. I never thought id be one of those clucky clucky mother types.............far from it...but im hoping like me you will at least meet one or two people whom you have something in common with. I dont check the forums that often but please feel free to send me a private message. Good luck and take care.
|

replied January 18th, 2009
Hey
I am a 24 year old guy, and I have that exact same thing. I had panic attacks when I was 14, and then went away a year later. Then, lately, 4 months ago, my heart would race, and now lately it would keep me up until 4:00 in the morning. Not so much anymore (I have good days and bad days), but you know how sometimes you kick in your sleep so hard that you wake yourself up? Well I do that and I've been kicking harder and harder, and it's like I gasp for air when I wake up, followed by (most of the time) shaking or being scared. At times, I wake up and I'm not really awake but definately not sleeping, and I panic feeling like I can't escape where I'm at, or that I can't escape reality (if that makes sense?), or can't escape my bad dream. Lately, I've been freaking out thinking about growing up,being old and dying, having a bad life, being alone or with someone I don't really love, or just living my life without being in control of it or disappointment. I feel guilty a lot because I'm more sexually active that normal (I fear getting my heart broken again, let's just say that, and I get lonely too), and all of this came I think by spending too much time at home during break, no job, and no school. I now feel out of it, sometimes I move my hand around or touch it a lot more just to make sure it's still there (lol) or that I'm still here. Anyone ever been afraid of thinking yourself out of reality, like pissing god off for taking life for granted? lol I feel so silly and so stressed out for nothing. But all of this is scaring the hell out of me. Anyway, just know you're not alone. I know life isn't to be taken so seriously, but my god it means so much to me.
|

replied May 5th, 2011
You are still young with your whole life ahead of you...we all get our heart broken in life, but there is the right girl out there for you, who will love and be by your side till you die, also maybe try a partime job on your breaks, so your not without some purpose.
We all experience worry and stress in life, it usually comes from what we think or how we react to situations in life...Things usually arent as bad as we think! (fear- is false evidence appearing as real)
|

replied January 27th, 2009
Feeling Strange
Hey sophira
i get exactly that too. it is horrible and i ge i when i am having fun. i want to know how to make it go away because i am only 13 and i want to cherrish every day as much as i can. Does anyone know how to makeit go away because i always make a full of myself whenever i have an attack.
thanks

Jordan
|

replied May 5th, 2011
I have experienced anxiety and panic attacks, they are scary and you feel out of control...this is your body trying to bring to your atention that you need to slow down, and come to term some deeper issues in your life, have hope 'they will go away', as you research techniques and find understanding...you are perfectly normal and you will over come this, know that taking axiety pills is not a cure only a cover up!
|

replied January 28th, 2009
out of it
you are suffering from anxiety... i have developed GAD, read up on it.. generalized anxiety disorder. the only thing that helps is xanax. see a family practice doc and get a prescription for it. it's pretty cheap, generic is alprazolam. it will make you feel grounded and back in ur body. you will be able to go out and feel normal.
|

Anyone Else?
Google these keywords if your with me...

Mental Imagery
Lexical Bias
Cognitive Awarness
|

This Forum has helped so much
I only recently started having anxiety attatcks about 6 months ago, and since then, i've had 3 more. The last two were within 1 day of each other, and since the last (and worst) one, I just cant get back to feeling 100% "normal". First off, it's winter, and i've taken some time off from work because of the attacks, so i've been cooped up in the house by myself for 5 days (which obviously doesnt help). I too am feeling detatched, thinking things that are just not "normal" for me. I dont feel like myself. And i'm mostly afraid that I never will again. It's hard for me to explain the sensation of "detachment". But i found this forum online, and i'm experiancing everything that you guys are. I have a newfound hope. I know i'm not going crazy. And I can deal with this, i WILL deal with this.
|

replied May 5th, 2011
Just know that you are normal, and that this is only temporary, its your bodies way of telling you that you need to slow down and deal with deeper issues, I went through a similar thing and I researched techniques and ways to cope without taking medication, be persistant its alot to do with our thinking, worry is fear- meaning false evidence appearing as real!Smile
|

Experienced User
Suggestion
I have taken a couple of different Anti-depressants in the past. Zoloft and Prozac. Both were fine the first time i took them and i only took them for around 2-3 months. The second time i took them (at different times) they had the total opposite effects. I am not against taking them but i do feel they need to be very closely monitored. Eventually i felt i wasnt suffering from depression so mch as Anxiety and i now take Buspar. Its saved my life. Its not like an SSRI and doesnt make me feel dopey or anything. It doesnt make me feel any diiferent apart from that i dont feel anxious anymore. Hope this helps.
|

replied January 29th, 2009
Feeliing strange treatment
Does anyone no if they sell xanax in spam unapproved? Will it make the attacks go away?

Thanks

Jordan
|

replied January 29th, 2009
Experienced User
No to Xanax
I definately do not recomend xanax. It can be terribly addictive and have long term memory problems.
|

replied February 2nd, 2009
NO IS RIGHT
i have had panic attacks for 11 years,i have tried almost everything to help however the only thing that seemed to work was xanex i was taking three millagrams a day i became very addicted when i tried to come off them it was terrible i didnt think i would survive it i had to go to treatment i have been off for 2 months now and i feel great i still have feelings that i cant explain it has only been happening at night and i end up praying i wont die that seems to be all i can think about when this is happening does anyone else feel this way?
|

replied March 10th, 2009
man it feels good to know im not alone
but my one ? is why did it just come out of
nowhere like im 23 years old and i dont remember ever feeling like this before
|

replied March 13th, 2009
drained and out of it...........?
I know what all of you are talking about. i went through it years back. i felt like i was in a bag or dreaming. like it wasn't able to get my head clear. scared to think about this. it happened after i had an asthma attack and was sick in bed for weeks. at the time i was being treated for an adrenal weakness and the asthma happened and was too much. i was in bed for months trying to get over it. after i got back on my feet i still got like that for a few yrs. the main cause of it is usually low blood sugar. do a google on hypoglycemia and it explains it there. it is a very complicated ailment. but easy to change. takes hard work and commitment to change the diet but it can be done. usually caused by weak adrenals. adrenal gland weakness is usually from too much stress, too much sugar and junk food and lots ofcarbs that break down fast into sugar, too much coffee and caffeine even in sodas. you can do a search on adreanl gland weakness for this. usually cut the stress, sugar, coffee and add a good b complex vitamin and vit c supplement and you are on your way. what a scary feeling. i know what you are talking about
|

replied March 27th, 2009
why ?
is it so hard to describe the sensations and feelings i try to tell a few of my friends but its so hard to explain

i feel the same way you do worry girl
like how you said you worry you wont
feel 100 % ever again haha thats me too
|

replied March 31st, 2009
same here!!
I feel almost exzactly what you are saying... i mean its pretty much the same. I have been having friendship problems and i believe that is what caused it. I also had stomach problems and i blech almost every time i eat for a certain amont of time and i feel like i'm getting out of reality i just dont feel well... and im only 16. Does any one know a cure for this ? Also i am very skinny and i love to eat i cant get enough food at times.

please help
thanks =]
|