Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Left Side Throat Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
For about 3 days now I have had pain in the left side of my throat. It isn't an inside 'sore throat' type pain and usually doesn't hurt when I swallow. Instead, it is a pain on the left side of my windpipe that I can locate by touch. It hurts more when my head is in different positions and the pain increases at night when I sleep. The pain radiates to my left jaw by the time I wake up. The pain throbs like a toothache at times and seems to subside when I am standing or sitting up. However, I can always locate the pain by touch. A trip to the emergency room yesterday got me nothing more that some percocets. I am 31 yrs old but I am a tobacco user so this scares me. The er doctor spoke of viral infections and indicated that it could be some type of muscular or nerve problem because the pain changes based on the position and movement of my head. I have no swelling or lumps nor do I have blood in my saliva, a cough, or other cancer type indicators.

Any advice? Anyone else have similar symptoms? Sound like anything? Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper laoks9999
|

replied March 4th, 2009
me 2
i have the exact same problem for the past 2 months at first i thought i was getting my wisdom toth but i wasnt and the pain does escelate at night time too, ive tried tablets and throat sprays and also visited my gp but he couldnt identify anything at all which is very frustrating,i find if i lie down on the side that is sore it relieves it 4 a while .although my pain is on the right side first it started off with really bad headaches now its my throat,jaw and ear occasional headaches 2 ?????
|

replied November 6th, 2009
I have had the same problem and have been advised that it could be stress related. As the muscles in my neck tighten, they cause pressure and irritation to the gland. Not much you can do for it. The other possibility that was mentioned was absessed tooth.
|

replied May 30th, 2010
I have the same problem right now. it started with headaches yesterday - really painful ones, now sore throat and ear on left side,smelly breath and heating up. I'm sure it's something viral going around at the moment as my fianc�© had it ( still does) then passed it on to me. Im writing this at 4:30am. Hardly slept all night.
|

replied July 16th, 2011
I HAVE PAIN IN MY THROAT WHEN LIGHT PRESS ON THE RIGHT SIDE FOR THE LAST SIX MONTHS WHEN I EAT OR DRINK I FEEL THAT IT TOUCH ONLY ONE SIDE AND I AM NOT ADICTED BUT I TAKE ONE OR Two DRINK ONCE IN A MONTH
|

replied April 5th, 2012
better treatment for pain on one side of the throat (self exper)
It is not related to your drink because the mouth is full of bacterias and when you kiss someone or accidentally take something from some one's plate. the bacterias then go to the ducts and salivary gland cells and infect them which causes slight pain in the begning ranging from 6 to 8 months.
you should go for an ultrasound or if u are sure that the pain is only on touching the point or then take amoxicilin tablets for six days upto 625mg. it will cure the infection.
|

replied July 5th, 2012
Sore neck
I have had the same problems twice no. My pain gets worse when I'm stressed or bending over to pick something up. It goes away when I sleep in certain positions but I can always touch the area and find the pain.
|