Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Ovarian Cyst Removal and Post-Operative Bowel Pain

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
User Profile
Hi

i have recently had surgery for an ovarian cyst that necessitated the removal of the ovary.

This healed fine but since the surgery I have experienced what the doctors called sluggish bowels (postoperative ileus).

My symptoms include vomiting, severe abdominal pain, cramps every couple of minutes 2 hours after food for anything up to 6 hours, bloating, lethargy, constipation and generally feeling very very unwell.

This has been going on now for three weeks now, I was readmitted to hospital a week after surgery (4 days after the initial discharge) and although the symptoms eased with a cesation of food they started again 3 days after the second discharge.

Doctors have said that this condition should sort itself out but I am becoming inceasingly worried and this is increasingly uncomfortable and painful!

One more thing, the surgery team on my second admittal mentioned a kink in the bowel that would necessitate more surgery but since I have actually been to the toilet dismissed this for now.

What I need to know is, is this normal? Should I be in this much pain for this long? What can I do?

Thanks for your time.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2006
Digestive & Bowel Disorders Answer A617
Sluggish bowels are considered a normal side effect of the first 4 weeks after such an operation. One month is adequate time for intestinal motility to be established. In your case, the nature of the ovarian cyst it is also very important. You need expert help and consultation with your surgeon. The only thing I can suggest is to eat more food that contains celluloses (fruit and vegetables).
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.