Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Hiv Test Result Within 10 Minutes

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
How reliable are fast tests for hiv, which give result withit 10 minutes? The blood taken for this test is from the finger of the hand (capilarry blood), but not from the vein. Are these fast tests reliable ?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 12th, 2006
Experienced User
Tests
Could you please give the name of this test?
|

replied March 12th, 2006
Unfortunately, I do not know the test name. The only thing I know is that blood is taken from the finger (not from the vein) and one drop of the blood is putting on a small rectangular white mount and the result is ready within 5-10 minutes.
|

replied March 13th, 2006
Experienced User
Instant Tests
Though there are some instant test kits available, they are also only for collecting samples and sending to a lab unianimously for details examination and producing results. Tests could not be done at home and results known. Since, the antibody testing is to observe and test a certain type of anitibody presence which is specific to hiv. So, such 10 minute test cannot be reliable.
|

replied March 23rd, 2006
Yes, I have found the name of this rapid test, it is stat-pak. I have heard that they often give a false positive result. But can we consider if the result is negative then it is reliable?
In the country where I live there are no other tests available, so how reliable are these tests?

Thanks!
|