I grew up in an older house from the age of 7-17 with my mom, step dad, and younger brothers. After a few years I developed frequent headaches and had constant sinus issues, along with more frequent stomach flu. My step dad had even more frequent headaches over the years, and my mother has had it the worse.
We moved into the house in '89, and my mother started to develop her health issues about 3 years ago. She has now been diagnosed with m.S., and her health issues put her out of work for atleast 6 months. She still has her same issues.
I've always had this feeling that something in that house was causing our sickness. When I moved out in '00, all of my health issues stopped. I have been the only one to leave, and i'm the only one w/o constant headaches and other sicknesses.
A couple days ago, my mom called me and said that she had taken an ax and broke away the wood under the sink (she was frustrated with my step dads denial about the condition of the house), as it had a strong moldy smell. Needless to say, it was horrible. I can only imagine that most of that house has been rotting away over the years, as the landlord had never replaced the roof tiles which clearly could be letting mold build underneath.
I think that a number of environmental factors can trigger the ms response, however, I think what is missing is the identification. Ms is not a singular disease, as such, and so we only treat symptoms. The answer is ----if your family is living in a moldy house---get out or have it removed. You don't eat moldy food---why live in it? If they have ms get the best treatment as prescribed by a physician.