Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Blackout, Or Seizures

Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
:?: im 36, I had what felt like a headrush the other night. I knew I was getting dizzy, its happened before occasionally, but before I knew it, I was on the floor trembling. Wheni came to, I was hearing someone calling my name, I had no idea where I was at for what seemed like hours,but was only seconds I was really disoriented for about 30 minutes after that. What is this? What started like a blackout, semmed like a seizure,needless to say it scared the heck out of me.Any ideas or advice???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 17th, 2006
Try Not to Stress....:)
Hello, yes it' s scarey huh. I too just posted a reply, for strange symptom
i've had for years, and just now it was brought to my attentioni "might" be having teeny seizures. I blacked out a year ago after one of my spells. I could hear someone talking to me, it was not for long though, but what seems forever, I feel ya! But it can be alot of things. Read on the net. It's very informative. Don't read too much into things. It does not have to be serious. But get it checked, you will feel better. It can be anything from anxiety/stress, blood pressure, metabolic reasons. Etc. Or just plain old syncope, (fancy word for fainting) sometimes fixable heart problems are even the cause. I have to go decipher my issue too. Good luck.
|

replied May 31st, 2008
i think i have the same
Hi there,
your symptoms sound very similiar to mine.
i get very dizzy and then it is like my brain switches off for a second, like a zap and i come to on the floor, usually in a kneeling position. this happens several times and then stops.
witness's said it was like i was having electrical shocks through my body.
i feel no pain.
I've am being treated for panic disorder, but I personnally don't think this is the cause.
I am however terrifed of these attacks and am very anxious about having another one, so the treatment for panic disorder will at least take nervousness away i suppose.
i am having a heart moniter fitted on tues, that i wear for four days and am seeing a neurologist in july, so i will let you know what happens
|

replied February 9th, 2009
sounds like a seizure
I have seizures and from what you described that's what it sounds like to me. loss of consciousness doesn't always happen in a seize, but as for not knowing where you are as well as losing hearing and sight, slight mumbling and space distortion it goes with the Symptoms of seizures.

Although I am curious what the difference between the two is as well, to say that a black out is when ever someone faints means that anyone can have them. What are the differences in the symptoms other then the loss of consciousness?
|

replied June 7th, 2009
A seizure is noted on an EEG (we fellow seizure folks know), but I'm not sure if blackouts are seen on an EEG. I'd love to see a PET scan or color motion MRI during a blackout or a seizure. Wow what we could see by that! I almost blacked out today, checked BP, was okay, (take metoprolol for it) and then headache and fatigue all day. It sucks. My brain hates me. Anyway, I take s%!TT# tegretol and I hate that stuff! It's destroyed my memory, my sense of smell and taste! Go figure! Get well, stay well!
|

replied June 7th, 2009
While researching for ADD and fainting spells when I get up to fast it was advised to try a high protein diet. Some of the faiting can be caused by a bit of a low iron level but not serious enough for them to identify it as abnormal. A diet eat right 4 your blood type is supposed to have identified that your blood enzyme can help you eat better. I have found that I get protein attacks which are similar to low blood sugar except it is a craving for protein vs sugars.
|

replied July 13th, 2009
yukkyteg
There are many anti-seizure medicines out there. i used to take tegretol and now take lamictal. My brain isn't in a fog anymore.
|

replied April 8th, 2012
Hello.

I've been reading up tryin to figure out what's going on with me. This thread is very informative. I'm glad I stumbled upon it.

I've had at least 10 of these episodes that I can remember. Vividly. The first was in kindergarden. Most of them have been in the sun. I get very dizzy. then I feel like I'm floating. I can walk and that turns into stumbling.but I can't feel my body. Sometimes I hear a high pitched ringing then lose hearing. My eyesight turns white starting from the peripheral view into the middle until its all white. I've had tingling sensations. My eyes kind of wobble back and forth. And then I collapse. Usually ice or anything that feels cold brings me back. At least twice I was shaking.

I'm not sure if they're disassociative attacks or seizures. Or how the two differ. I know they only happen when I get extremely emotionally or physically stressed. I quit playing basketball because of these attacks. And I'm just now getting drs to finally check it out, at 31.

These are scary and, for me at least, embarrassing. But if you can find out what your triggers are, any consistent behaviors or physical symptoms prior, and what works to revive you, it can really help prevent some blackouts. I know when I get dizzy like that to sit or lie down, try to drink some cold water, or find something cold to put on my face and neck, like keys, a pop can, etc. And, keep a record. It helps drs.
|

replied October 26th, 2012
Blackouts
Hi I'm 18 years old. Untill yesterday I haven't had any real blackouts. It all started when me and my parter were watching Saw 3. It got to the part where this woman is performing surgery on the Jigsaw Killer.

I felt a bit sick, then the next thing I know everythig anound is black and I heard this lowd sound in my head, almost like heavy turbines. It took me a few second then my vision came back. I had know idea where I was for a few seconds, then It all gradually came back to me. I was like " What the F**** just happened?" It was one of the scariest theings that has happened and my girlfriend wast terrified as well. Apparently I was kicking about and my face had gone pale when it happened.

Why it happened? I don't know! but a few months back I had a simular thing after getting my ear pierced, but I didn't quite black out, but felt very dizzy like I did before I blackout yesterday. For the past week I've been i'll with a chest infection, so i'm not sure whether that may have been part of the course. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.
|