Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Acute Pancreatitis After Gall Bladder Surgery

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I had my gb removed in january and returned to the er twice because of abdominal pain only to be told I had gas and to go home and eat alot of fibre. When I made my follow up appointment to my gi doc he immediately put me in the hospital because the surgeon had not checked the bile duct and had left a stone (s) in it. So thanks to the stupidity and laziness I am now a diabetic with about 15% of my pancreas left.
So to those of you who are contemplating this surgery insure your surgeon does not skip this step because what I had almost killed me.
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2006
Experienced User
Re: Acute Pancreatitis After Gall Bladder Surgery
paysoncowboy wrote:
i had my gb removed in january and returned to the er twice because of abdominal pain only to be told I had gas and to go home and eat alot of fibre. When I made my follow up appointment to my gi doc he immediately put me in the hospital because the surgeon had not checked the bile duct and had left a stone (s) in it. So thanks to the stupidity and laziness I am now a diabetic with about 15% of my pancreas left.

So to those of you who are contemplating this surgery insure your surgeon does not skip this step because what I had almost killed me.

thanks for the information, as we trust doctors all the time. They took out my gallbladder and I developed ibs and I have had reoccurring pancreatites for 14 years.. You can't eat, drink or party like you use too and the only thing to treat pancreatities is fluids and narcotics for the pain. How ever I learned from a very close friend that is a natropath that, "fresh pinapple will help to heal it" try it slowly and see what you think. I had stopped eating oranges and stuff, because I thought there was enough acid in the gut, but pinapples work well and I have had less attacks.. Good luck make sure it doesn't interfer with you meds!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 31st, 2006
Pancreatitis
Pancreatic problems, up to and including acute pancreatitis is what can happen giving cck when you have gallstones. Very small risk, but when it happens, it is very serious.
|

replied April 1st, 2006
I am sorry this happened to you. Was the pain you went to er for same as it was before you had your gb out? It is scary that we have to trust the drs with our bodies!
|

replied April 1st, 2006
The pains was even worse after the surgery. I am letting the lawyers take care of these doctors for now.
van71 wrote:
i am sorry this happened to you. Was the pain you went to er for same as it was before you had your gb out? It is scary that we have to trust the drs with our bodies!
|

replied March 12th, 2012
Gross Negliegent in Hospitals in this country
I went into the hospital for a 23 hour observation because doctor didn't believe nothing was wrong. If it wasn't for hospital taken blood and finding out that I had a real bad case of pancreatitis. My doctor had ordered no tests and if it wasn't for Hospital taking blood as a normal thing I would have been discharged after 23 hours I was put on IV fluid only and told nothing but I had pancreatitis then a surgeon walks in and tells me that they are taking my gallbladder out! I asked why and was threathened with if I don't get my gallbladder out that the next time I come in with pancreatitis he would not do nothing for me. I responded with a immmediate no and that I needed time to think about what was going on. I was then taken off IV Fluids and nobody came into my room to do nothing. My doctors comes in and tells me that if I don't do what the surgeon says she will do nothing for me anymore. I have had my gallbladder checked a year before and it was unremarkable except some gallstones that have been there like forever and they never were a problem. I never even had pain in my upper right stomach area, but was haven problems in stomach area and lower back under shoulder blade that was extremely painful and was dehydradated for a long time. No doctor would take this serious and did nothing for 2 years. Then when I finally find out why this was happening because of pancreatitis I though great now all they have to do is find out what is causing the pancreatitis. I have never drank alchol and I had a perfectly good gallbladder so all they had to do was test to see what could be causing this instead without consulting me or even talking to me about it they were just going to take out my gallbladder for no justifiable reason and I had nothing to say about it. No tests were done to find out if there was any reason to do this and didn't bother to find out what causing the pancreatitis. In extreme pain getting threaten to never help me if I don't do what they say, I was completely disoriented and they took my IV Fluids away and left me there so dehydrated I couldn't swallow, to say the least it was the worst case nightmare you could ever had. I never even signed anything to do this operation, but I guess I had to agree verbally just to get someone to come into my room. 2 and a half weeks later I have blood work done again and I told both doctors that not only is everything the same but worse. When the blood work came back everything was the same I still had a bad case of pancreatitis. I called everday almost back and forth from my general practitioner and surgeon for weeks asking what am I suppose to do now and what are you going to do about it. I call my doctor's office and they say we sent blood work over to surgeon and to call him, which is not how it is done, but I would call surgeon and of course they tell me they cannot do anything until my doctor sends me over there. This went back and forth for weeks in the meantime I am suffering with the worst pain of my life with nobody giving me nothing for pain and not doing anything about the fact my pancreas is getting worse. Finally I asked the Hospital to look into the matter of why someone gets a perfectly good gallbladder taken out without any test to show what the problem was and was taken advantage of in a situation that I was in so much distress from pain and my pancreas was going bad and I was completely deydrated that I was forced to take the only option that I was totally against. I am sure with your experience you can believe what comes next, the hospital actually tells me that they investigated the matter and found nothing wrong with what these 2 doctors done to me, because they said that they did everything they could to help me after finding out I still had pancreas problems? They did absolutely nothing in fact when I asked for a appt. with my doctor to find out what's going on they never called me back and refusing to take my calls. Also the hospital made the comment that I had said I had no problem with the hospital just the doctors. I was completely without words to describe this kind of stupidity and I told them any hospital that doesn't see a problem in taken out a gallbladder without confirming that there was anything wrong I have a problem with. The sad part of this whole nightmare is in the state of Georgia everyone involve will get away with this gross negligence because every lawyer I talk to says that the hardest person to sue in this state are doctors, and even if I had the money to pay them to take the case to save my money because its hopeless to sue. This is coming from lawyers that everyone thinks are so heartless and no good when its the doctors that are the scum. I know this is long and hard to read but if people will stop and take the time to think about how neglegent hospitals and doctors are they just might help someone not to let this happen because I had a good 80% of dying that day because to take out a person's gallbladder when they have a severe case of pancreatitis is not only unsafe, irresomsible and extremely dangerous that another person might have died and nothing would have been done about it. This Hosipital was Northridge in Commerce Ga. and the doctors are Dr. Patterson and surgeon was Dr.
Rhondina. This needs to be known so they won't kill anybody and get away with it. I am bedridden and don't know if I will wake up everday while I wait on another doctor to do something, but I do not have any hope for everone that finds out about Dr. Patterson so far and talk with there office or her they do nothing for me now it is that bad, covering another doctors but is more important than my life, this is the world we live in please don't let it happen to you just because it sounds to far fethced and you might think I am crazy because people don't think this happens here in America. Trust me I find out worse happens and if you don't believe me my next door neigbor just died after going to the ER in a hospital. Its a real life situation especially when your over 50 and on Medicare your odds go up. My next door neigbor had excellent insurance and was a year or 2 older than I was so it happens to everone believe it don't let it happen to you.
|

replied September 8th, 2012
Thank you so much and I'm so sad for your suffering.
|

replied September 8th, 2012
Thank you so much and I'm so sad for your suffering.
|

replied October 13th, 2012
Im really sorry to hear what you went through,I am going through the same thing right now in Wa state.12 days after gallbladder surgery I still have an infection and horrible pancreatitis.We pay these drs. to care for us,then we have no legal recourse when they destroy our lives,I may lose my job,my house,everything because I cannot work ,and my employer is getting fed up.Im helpless,and feel like im dying,been to the hospital 3 times,and they refuse to help me,LEGACY EMANUEL SALMON CREEK'(Vancouver Wa)
|

replied April 9th, 2006
Gallstones
Hi there

my mom has recently been admitted to the hospital for gallstones. However, one stone is lodged in her bile duct...Which is causing an infection in the pancreas. The infection is taking quite some time to go away so they can go in and do the surgery.

How long is this suppose to take for the infection to clear. It is getting quite concerning. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
deb
|

replied January 13th, 2013
gall bladder/pancreatitis
Had my gb out 8 months ago March 2012. Since then every 3/4 days I get nausea and pain lasting about a week each time, then a couple of days respite then off we go again. Constant diarrhea. Had CT and MRI but they can't find whats causing the pain/nausea, although I haven't actually vomited. Pancreatitis? God I hope not. To anyone out there, think carefully before having gb out.Wish I had gone into things a lot further before going through with it
|

replied January 13th, 2013
gall bladder/pancreatitis
Had my gb out 8 months ago March 2012. Since then every 3/4 days I get nausea and pain lasting about a week each time, then a couple of days respite then off we go again. Constant diarrhea. Had CT and MRI but they can't find whats causing the pain/nausea, although I haven't actually vomited. Pancreatitis? God I hope not. To anyone out there, think carefully before having gb out.Wish I had gone into things a lot further before going through with it
|

replied January 29th, 2013
Hi. Read my post please. I hope it will help like it helped me
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied January 29th, 2013
Hi. I had my gallbladder removed on June 30th, 2012 . In the hospital they told me that I had pancreatitis. Doctors told me not to worry about it will heal itself and eat anything. I had bad pain and they told me to take pain killers. I told them that I will not take them because I am breastfeeding and because pain killers don't cure nothing, they just damage other organs. So I found one woman that sells bee products... And within a month I stoped feeling pain... This woman also has a cream Defender that is 100% natural and if I would have pain anywhere , like pancreas I would put it on and it would stop the pain and cure my pancreas. I read your comments and I had all that and now, thanks God I fell so so so much better, almost perfect... Also when you have your gallbladder removed you need to drink some think to help bile run thru. What helps many people including me. Like I said I take bee products, I drink everyday tea from rosejip and take one table spoon of pumpkin oil. Pumpkin is very good after surgery. I drink 2 cups of low fat probiotic organic kefir, life way.... I am so thankful to God that I found that bee products because my everyday was misserable, and I am 23 years old, have to little kids, one is 3, one is 1. You also have to watch what you eat.... No citrus, no cabbage, no coffe, no fried food, no fat food, no spices, no spicy, no tomatoes... Try to eat steamed vegetables, or sweat potatoes.... No sodas, no cakes.... Y
|

replied August 21st, 2013
Pancreatitis after gallbladder removal
Had my gallbladder removed in July this year, so far nothing has bothered me as far as eating goes, I have eaten cabbage, tomatoes, kosher pickles, you name it, I started out low fat then slowly went back to eating like I used to. Today I woke up with a tummy ache, nothing has seemed to help it, the pain is in the same place as it was when I was admitted to hospital with pancreatitis (both times) I'm not sure what has caused it, I ate supper fairly early yesterday and was up late and no pain before I went to bed, just woke up with it. I'm almost positive it's my pancreas that is hurting so I will try clear liquids for a day and see where that takes me. It's not severe pain just an uncomfortable tummy ache type pain.
|