Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Does Someone Develop Hives?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Or is it something you are born with? I am 44 years old and never had an allergy, that I was aware of. 2 months ago I got a break out of what I am now being told are hives, the symptoms have turned up mainly on my lower legs but they are in my ears, on my nose, head, chest, stomach shoulders, they are not severe from what i've seen and heard from others who got hives. There are olny 2 things that are out of the ordinary that I can see.

2 months ago, my fish store did not have the particular fish which I would normally eat twice weekly so I bought croaker one week and then tilapia more recently, also we changed detergent for the same reason, I have no idea if any of these were the cause as I have used this same detergent before in the past and while I don't eat either the croaker or tilapia often, I have had them all through my life and never a problem. Yesterday too, I ate the brunswick sardine from the can which I have been eating on a regular basis for a while now and this too I have been eating since I was a child but yesterday I noticed that my hives were itching a lot, have I suddenly developed an allergy to seafood in general or the detergent?

Can anyone shed any light on this subject please? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 8th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I have had hives all my life and for many different reasons. I have never associated them to anything I eat though. I first got them in high school from my nerves. They put me on tranquilizers. I get them when something is going on in my body. Like after mri one time, got them so bad they coulda just shot me and got it over with. It was horrible.

I had a heart attack in 2003, and they did an angioplasty--with a stent---and I had hives for 1 year. And still today if I have any heart pains I get the hives. I think my body is mad at me.

I have gotten swollen lip from certain foods, like lemon pie filling, fresh pineapples, fresh coconut. So, I dont call it hives neccessarily--just my lips swell a little. And pears too, every since my heart attack.

My hives start itching first---then kinda bumps come up--and if it is really bad the million bumps turn into bid fat welts(sp)
|

replied March 14th, 2006
What I would like to know is once you get hives in the way that I have, what happens next? Does the itching and bumps go away by itself or do you have to do something in particular to get rid of the symptoms?
|

replied March 14th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
When I get them from my nerves---the tranquilizers helped, but a lot of the times I did not have the tranquilizers--and they do eventually go away. Usually by the next day mine are completely gone. Unless something happens to trigger them again. Anti-anxiousness pills worked too. For mine--prolly depends on what your triggers are though.
|

replied March 16th, 2006
Yesterday I washed my bed sheets with the same "tide" detergent and immediately upon going to bed my skin from head to toe felt like it was on fire, this was the very first time that I have ever felt my skin react like this, like I was saying in my first post, I have been eating fish all my life so I don't suspect that the change in any particular fish would be the cause here so seeing what has transpired here now, can I assume that is really was the change in detergent which brought about the hives?
|

replied March 16th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
My x father in law had that problem. Had to use arm n hammer detergent. And this was not something he was born with --it developed later in his life. But he would break out from head to toe.

Yes, I guess it could be from the tide. You could try arm n hammer, or some kind of baby detergent like downy, or dreft. They are very gentle.
|

replied March 16th, 2006
Thanks, will go back to free and clear!
|

replied March 19th, 2009
Hives are so horrible i have had them for years when i went on holidays abroad they would only last a few days i thought it was just a change in the climate. A year ago i came up in them all of a suddern at home and they went away after a couple of days, but now i have had them since xmas when i was really ill with a bad cold i have had them nearly every day until a few weeks ago when i decided to see a homeopath who told me all the antihistamines will do is clear it for a couple of days it will never help cure the problem whereas natural herbal tablets clean ur system out and help the liver, it has been very very successful and instead of having them every day im only getting them once a week at the moment. I have also been told not to eat dairy for at least two months and the more i have looked into hives the more times i have come across people saying not to eat dairy. Hives have been driving me crazy and effecting my life so much i feel for all of you who suffer from this if you are running out of options try seeing a HOMEOPATH!!!
|

replied February 16th, 2010
I been diagnosed with chronic urticaria hives.An I've had these horrible itchy hives for over 5yrs now.I have also experienced the chest and rib pain.An it feels like your having a heart attack.I try not to take any medication. As I find I have reactions to it and it makes me feel worse ( prouse of drugs "your bodys a gift from god").I have also had swollen feet,back pain and burning sensations.At the moment I'm now experiencing the tingling and numbness in the fingers.I have also had dermatitis and asthma as a child an restless leg syndrome an been diagnosed with mild shermans disease.My oldest child has also experienced the hives and has been diagnosed with restless leg syndrome .My youngest son who is a twin and has just turn seven. Had a red raw and swollen face the day after new years day.It look like someone had bashed him.We think he might of had a reaction to peanuts or hazelnut chocolates. That we had on the table on new years day.He also developed a middle ear infection not long after.I been told he might have anaphlaxis.My mum has thyroid gland problems and my brother has schizophrenia and he also has reactions to the medication.I've done a bit of research and have found out that asthma,dermatitis,restless leg syndrome,hives,thyroid glands ,middle ear infection,schizophrenia,anaphlaxis ,angioedema,colic,
autoimmune disease,hypersensitive and empathy or seem to link together
|

replied March 30th, 2010
I have been having hives of late - almost every day. I had never had hives before, but I went for a massage last year and the massage therapist used oil on me and though it wasn't itching badly, when I got home and went to take a shower, I realized my back was covered in hives. Since then, I get them daily and I have no idea what the specific trigger is. Sometimes it's because I've itched that part of my skin. Other times it's because the area is hot or because my skin touch something dirty. This is driving me crazy and I am sure taking 1-2 benadryl per day can't be good for my body. Does anyone have any other solutions? The dairy thing may not be do-able, I am a french pastry chef. Thanks.
|