Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Incomplete Bowel Movements, Sexual Side Effects (Page 1)

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
About 8 months ago, I noticed that every time I would go, it felt as though my bowel movements were incomplete. The stool would pass normally for a bit and then suddenly it would stop and I could feel a full/stuck-ness in the upper rectal area, and no matter how hard I strained (though I tried not to) nothing would come out; it felt as if there was some kind of "plug" that stopped any more stool from passing, though I still felt the urge.

I'm quite certain that I was (and am) not constipated because my stools would generally be firm to soft and bowel movements would be pretty regular (every day, every other day). I try to eat high-fiber and laxatives didn't help. Even when I had occasional watery stool/diarrhea, I would only go about half to 3/4 what I normally would and then I would feel the "stuckness" and nothing more would come. It also felt as though the rectal openning was becoming narrower (i even noticed it became more difficult to flatulate). There was no blood in stool and generally not too much pain but a lot of discomfort; it felt as though I was in the middle of an interrupted bowel movement for up to hours afterwards.

This conditioned seemed to gradually worsen, and it was manageable at first but there have been some other rather alarming side effects. Around the time I noticed this problem, I also noticed that I began to loose sexual sensitivity occasionally, especially when it felt that the bowels were severely backed up. I could still function (get erection etc...) it's just that the sensations were reduced, as if I was "numb" down there. This would last for a day to several days and I thought I was just imagining things at first, but this problem slowly got worse as well, and recently I have little to no sensation and it has been going on for at least a week. I'm 23 years old so obviously this is quite bad news. I know that blood flow is essential for sensation and i'm guessing that this blockage is restricting bloodflow to that area.I have also noticed increased difficulty urinating and some pain in the penile area occasionally.

Looking around online, I thought perhaps I have a prolapse of some sort, although I have not found any obvious external protrusions (although the rectum does seem to swell outwards to an extent if I strain).

When I went to see my doctor about it, he just kept insisting that I was constipated and told me to eat more fiber, drink more water, and come back in a month. I asked him to at least check if I have some kind of prolapse so he did a digital rectal exam and said he couldn't feel anything. Just yesterday I read about internal intussusceptions and I plan to make another appointment and insist that I have a more thorough examination to rule out any structural problems (and i'm almost certain it is).

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SteveFrench
|

replied March 31st, 2006
Similar Symptoms
I have had similar symptoms of feeling that my bowel evacuations were incomplete. My stomach becomes distended, feeling gassy and bloated, it feels like a blockage, my stool size appears constricted. I have also have feelings of numbness during sexual activity, however I partially attributed it to my avid cycling. Just curious if you ride a bike regularly to rule out if my penile numbness may be attributed to my incomplete bowel evacuations and not to my constant bike riding. Keep me updated if your doctor visits result in finding the cause of your symptoms.
|

replied November 20th, 2007
Re: Incomplete Bowel Movements, Sexual Side Effects
cmiller wrote:
About 8 months ago, I noticed that every time I would go, it felt as though my bowel movements were incomplete. The stool would pass normally for a bit and then suddenly it would stop and I could feel a full/stuck-ness in the upper rectal area, and no matter how hard I strained (though I tried not to) nothing would come out; it felt as if there was some kind of "plug" that stopped any more stool from passing, though I still felt the urge.

I'm quite certain that I was (and am) not constipated because my stools would generally be firm to soft and bowel movements would be pretty regular (every day, every other day). I try to eat high-fiber and laxatives didn't help. Even when I had occasional watery stool/diarrhea, I would only go about half to 3/4 what I normally would and then I would feel the "stuckness" and nothing more would come. It also felt as though the rectal openning was becoming narrower (i even noticed it became more difficult to flatulate). There was no blood in stool and generally not too much pain but a lot of discomfort; it felt as though I was in the middle of an interrupted bowel movement for up to hours afterwards.

This conditioned seemed to gradually worsen, and it was manageable at first but there have been some other rather alarming side effects. Around the time I noticed this problem, I also noticed that I began to loose sexual sensitivity occasionally, especially when it felt that the bowels were severely backed up. I could still function (get erection etc...) it's just that the sensations were reduced, as if I was "numb" down there. This would last for a day to several days and I thought I was just imagining things at first, but this problem slowly got worse as well, and recently I have little to no sensation and it has been going on for at least a week. I'm 23 years old so obviously this is quite bad news. I know that blood flow is essential for sensation and i'm guessing that this blockage is restricting bloodflow to that area.I have also noticed increased difficulty urinating and some pain in the penile area occasionally.

Looking around online, I thought perhaps I have a prolapse of some sort, although I have not found any obvious external protrusions (although the rectum does seem to swell outwards to an extent if I strain).

When I went to see my doctor about it, he just kept insisting that I was constipated and told me to eat more fiber, drink more water, and come back in a month. I asked him to at least check if I have some kind of prolapse so he did a digital rectal exam and said he couldn't feel anything. Just yesterday I read about internal intussusceptions and I plan to make another appointment and insist that I have a more thorough examination to rule out any structural problems (and i'm almost certain it is).

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!

Hello miller I too am suffering from this bowel problem since two years.I had gone to a gastronentrologist and i went through a colonoscopy exam but everything was fine.I'd like you to tell me more abt your appointment regarding the internal interssuception.Thanks.
|

replied November 30th, 2007
Your Bowel Problem Could Be Protalgia Fugax
Follow the link and see if this could fit in, as cycling has caused this with me as well.

http://ehealthforum.com/health/viewtopic.p hp?p=741481#741481

Try taking a Voltaren 25 (Diclofenac).
As an anti inflammatory it will make your bowel muscles relax in about 20 minutes and you can complete your crap.
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2009
Community Volunteer
All of you may likely have an internal hemroid. They do not necessarily cause bleeding and usually do not hurt at all (unless you are the unfortunate who gets one that becomes infected). The major symptom of these is incomplete bowel movements. Feeling like there is something trapped in there is either true (won't finish because of the hemroid) or it's simply your body interpreting the hemroid itself as blockage, thus causing the sensation. Go this route first to see what happens.
|

replied July 3rd, 2009
hEALED OF HEMAROIDS
Pray to god, i was healed of hemoroids, google prayer request and seek god, you will see instant change or eventual
|

replied August 30th, 2009
i have also same simtoms but there are some more which is that when i use to sit on chair for a long time , i began feeling pain in rectom area causing discomfort in sitting.. plz identify what is cause of it ....is there any one to help?
|

replied December 17th, 2009
Incomplete bowel movements
I have the same **cking problem and I go to bathroom like 5 times a day and my stomach is always bloated and i am 25 years old. my life is TOTALLY RUINED because of this and nothing seems to work for me. Please help me , please somebody give us the solution
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
Have you found what is causing this?
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
have you found a cure?
|

replied May 31st, 2010
Enriched flour could be culprit
I had similar problems. I connected it to my diet. I try to eat healthy and avoid all junk food. I eliminated different foods over a period of a year and discovered it was enriched flour and anything made with it. Flour is now supposedly enriched with genetically modified vitamins. Maybe it's that, or maybe it's the lack of the other 20 something vitamins and minerals that aren't added back. Whatever the reason, once I began eating only whole wheat flour and products made with it my problem stopped immediately. I feel like I have my life back. Before, I would feel like I had to go to the bathroom a couple times a day but could only squeeze out a little rabbit turd if I was lucky. Anyone else found this to be the problem?
|

replied June 8th, 2010
i have a similar problem and it all started 7 years ago, the first time i was ever constipated and since then my probelms have gotten worse. Im 19 now and this problem is an everyday thing for me now, after I've had a bowel movement I feel like I haven't fully gone and then i become really sweaty with cold shivers. It's the worst feeling ever and I can't find a cure for It. Is they're anyone that has found a solution to this?
|

replied November 7th, 2010
Difficulty with Eliminating- Potential Causes and Suggestions
You should see a gastroenterologist and have a rectal examination done asap (if you have a Cleveland Clinic in your area, I would suggest getting in to see one there, they are experienced and very good at what they do).
If you have had any blood in your stools, then without question, request a colonoscopy asap. I began having colonoscopies at age 26 when I first had a trace of blood in my stool. I have since had 2 follow-up colonoscopies and feel good knowing that I am staying on top of my health.

I had most of the symptoms you are describing, the incomplete evacuation, constipation, interrupted bowel movements, and going and less than I used to. Nothing I tried worked (more fiber, more water, stool softeners).

I saw a gastroenterologist at Cleveland Clinic. He did a rectal examination on me and diagnosed me with a rectocele, which is a pouch in the rectum that causes fecal impaction (buildup of the fecal matter) and constipation. He told me to increase my fiber intake, begin taking over-the-counter colase and stool softeners, and he gave me a list of foods to stop eating (which included chocolate, cheese, yogurt, bananas, and rice).

This may be a possible explanation of your symptoms, but also rule out Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Intestinal Polyps (benign growths which can cause blockage and constipation), and/or Intestinal obstruction (with this, you would also have gas that cant pass and bloating as well).

By the way, try and start a new daily habit. Trust me, it will work - drink 1 glass of prune juice every day.
Good luck!
|

replied November 14th, 2010
Re: Incomplete Bowel Movements, Sexual Side Effects
I have the same problem too but am just living with it....I hope some one will give us a solution.
|

replied June 15th, 2012
I have the same problem too....I hope some one will give us a solution.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied March 28th, 2011
For all of those with numbness and incomplete bowel movements; Consider Spinal Stenosis and Cauda Equina Syndrome. The symptoms sneak up on you when it is not caused by massive trauma.
|

replied February 6th, 2012
I had a spinal injury many years ago. My spine was compressed as I landed hard on my butt. I have attributed my symptoms to CES. CES is generally a degeneration of the nerves that control bowels and bladder functions due to the coccyx pressuring the nerves. CES will usually cause problems for both. I would guess that bike riding or sitting on hard chairs, while not as severe as an accident, might
possibly damage the same nerves over time.
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tailbone_co ccyx_injury/page3_em.htm
|

replied June 9th, 2011
i have the same problem for nearly 3 years iv had 3 colonoscopys, scans and a test to make sure the muscles are working and cant find any problems my doctor now is sending me to cognitive behavoural therapy. im like a recluse and only go out if i have to i just want to get up one day and not feel the need to go to the loo and worry about it all day long.
|

replied November 24th, 2011
Same issue
exactly the same issue with me .. completely feel blocked and takes about 3-4 trips in the morning if at all am lucky ... struggle the whole day with it and come back home all tired and worn out.. tend to lose weight v fast.

The stuff seems stuck and unable to move for about 2 hours before the next time even tho I am completely bloated and ready to go.

The only thing I found in common was that everyone suffering form this tends to eat v healthy and avoids all junk ... can this weaken our immune system? or is it the additives in just about all foods that are causing this
|

replied November 24th, 2011
exactly the same issue with me .. completely feel blocked and takes about 3-4 trips in the morning if at all am lucky ... struggle the whole day with it and come back home all tired and worn out.. tend to lose weight v fast.

The stuff seems stuck and unable to move for about 2 hours before the next time even tho I am completely bloated and ready to go.

The only thing I found in common was that everyone suffering form this tends to eat v healthy and avoids all junk ... can this weaken our immune system? or is it the additives in just about all foods that are causing this
|

replied December 6th, 2011
Wow; so surprised and delighted/saddened to see others experience this. I am a 35 year old male, and have suffered the same thing over the course of 2.5 years or so. It began as constipation and quickly led to severe and persistent bloating. I'm 6' tall, 162 lbs. So I'm thin, but have a bulging gut. It's very uncomfortable; i hear gurgling all the time and have frequent gas.

Like the others, I have had a colonoscopy that revealed no abnormalities. I've recently found I have a very slow heart rate (40 bpm). After much testing, they didn't see any health risk so decided to not put in a pace maker at this point (insane that i am experiencing this at 35, or ever).

I wonder if this heart issue (decreased bloodflow) has had an impact on my digestion. Does anybody else have a low heart rate?

Also have noticed some sexual oddness lately. I get erections fine, etc, but when I ejaculate it feels stifled; and semen quantity seems less. Also, the euphoric feeling is a bit stifled, like I am in the moment thinking it's not enough.

My fiance and others I confide in think it's just aging, but this was rather sudden; overnight almost.

Now that I read this article I am a little concerned. Other than the obvious discomfort of this, are there any health risks we should be concerned about?

Also, I eat extremely healthy foods. Nothing seems to help.
|

replied October 10th, 2013
Hey man,

I'm a 33 yr old male and I have pretty much the exact same problem that you described. I had an ATV accident a few years ago and I landed really hard on the ATV and slammed my coccyx into the seat. Instantly I felt some nerve damage. But then a few months later, during a bm, there were some cramps in the rectal passage and things stopped moving all of a sudden. I had no clue what had happened and my natural urge was to strain - so I did and continued to do so for an extended period of time (almost 2 years) and started experiencing increased frequency of bm's and increasing no. of incomplete evacuations.

Now, I'm at a point that I have some good phases when I am eating healthy and all (Fiber + water, really makes some noticeable difference), then things are better but generally I am experiencing incomplete bm's every time and things either stop moving after a certain point in time or seem to get stuck right at the very end, leaving me frustrated and helpless. But I don't push it anymore.

Another thing I noticed is that the bm takes some time to build adequate urgency in the morning. And on days when I sleep in, it can take a few hours before anything starts happening. Lately, though I have started experiencing the sexual side effects exactly as you mentioned and problems with urination also. I desperately want to fix this problem.

Have you had any luck so far?

Thanks.
|
12 >>