Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Irritation After Menstural Period

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
After my menstural period I have vaginal irritation and I get little tears in my genitals... In the past my doctor has said that it is a vaginal bacterial infection. I have been tested for every std there is several times... Can someone explain this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2006
Experienced User
Re: Irritation After Menstural Period
staylor wrote:
after my menstural period I have vaginal irritation and I get little tears in my genitals... In the past my doctor has said that it is a vaginal bacterial infection. I have been tested for every std there is several times... Can someone explain this?

i use to get something similar to that when I was allergic to the pads I was using carefree deodorant so I switched. Good luck sweetie
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2006
Supporter
Hey. I've noticed that lately after my period, and I have no idea what causes it! Just thought i'd let you know so you don't feel weird ;)

i cant speak for you, cos your problem may be different, but for me, I just ignore it. I am certain it has nothing to do with infections - i've never had an infection. On one or two occasions it has actually taken weeks for the little tear to heal, but I just tell myself not to touch it, just let it heal itself. It's not even really a problem for me cos the only time it hurts is when im washing. Just be gentle with youself, particularly when you're washing or doing assorted naughty things :)

it might just go away in a while. I haven't noticed any of these tears for a few months now.
|

replied March 11th, 2006
I had that problem when I first started getting my rag. They go away, they won't be there forever. I know it sucks because it hurts or it may itch, but it will go away sooner or later. Don't worry urself with it. And u have to remember that ur body is going through a lot of hormonal changes down there after u rag, so maybe it has something to do with that.
|

replied March 11th, 2006
Experienced User
Fyi Some Background Information
Fyi some background info. I have been getting my mensural period for several years now. Any help would be appreciated!
|

replied March 11th, 2006
Fyi... Im Trying to Help U!!!`
I was just saying that I was having that problem when I first got my rag. I've had my period for many years now also. Sweetie
|

replied March 19th, 2006
Infection
I too have had that problem, I definetly feel all your pain! Just a suggestion, but try getting checked out for yeast infections, because that it what caused mine. Sometimes if it is just a mild infection you can just experience itching or irritation and without much cause the skin can tear. The skin is so fragile that even wiping yourself after the bathroom, or sex can cause tears.
Hope that helps!
|

replied March 20th, 2006
Experienced User
Re: Irritation After Menstural Period
dannyboygirl wrote:
staylor wrote:
after my menstural period I have vaginal irritation and I get little tears in my genitals... In the past my doctor has said that it is a vaginal bacterial infection. I have been tested for every std there is several times... Can someone explain this?

i use to get something similar to that when I was allergic to the pads I was using carefree deodorant so I switched. Good luck sweetie

good point, if all tests are negative you could try switching to unbleached pads or tampons, reusable/washable pads or my personal favourite, a mooncup or divacup.

Also, avoid bubble bath and other scented products in that area.
|

replied March 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Avoid lotions, powder and be sure to keep your fingernails trimmed and if you have a guy that you fool around with down there, make sure his are clipped too. I get small tears from fingernails and don't realize it til after the fact and its irriating!
|

replied January 12th, 2012
My solutions to tearing & itching after menstrating
I am in my 40's. This started happening every month for 7 months.
So this is what I have discovered after many months of trials, errors, drs, etc.
For me the tears are not from sex, just thinning drying tissues that comes with age. Hormone therapy would help, however, because I have had blood clots before I am not allowed. To ever go on them. Have you gyno check your hormone levels. And use. ADE ointment ( not cream ) on the tears while they are healing it will protect them from urine and stop stinging and will help them heal.
As to the itching have you tried RePhresh brand tampons? I get them at Walgreens.
On you period you Ph changes down there because blood has a different Ph. So you can get yeast infections or just an imbalance of Ph which can cause irritations and itching.

I discovered that a lot of the tampon manufacturers have changed the way they. Make their. Tampons... Did you know there are chemicals in them? RePhresh brand has put some strange treated with Vit C and another ingredient. To keep the Ph more normal during your period. Finally no more itching...

If you use baby wipes... I do. (they are softer and clean better on irritated skin)
Only use Them to clean the outer area. Otherwise they can also change ph. Buy non fragrance, no alcohol, ones (read ingredients list some say no alcohol on the cover, but on the list they have alcohol... Just not rubbing alcohol). Look for ones that have aloe or chamomile towards the top of the ingredients list. I prefer huggies they are softer than pampers.
|

replied March 10th, 2013
Ok. I get this to and i was researching it a bit ago because its going on now. First of all i have a wicked allergy to disposable pads but still have to use them until i make my cloth reusable ones. Side note: if you have the itchies because of a pad and still need to wear it put a little diaper rash cream on you first. I use desitin but don't recommend it because it smells like baby powder, which i don't like. Ok, on to post period itchies, first of all it may be an allergy to pads/soaps/etc like other ladies have said BUT another possible reason is that right after your period your hormone levels are at their lowest so our natural lubricating factory down there isn't working as well. It was suggested to use something like KY but to me it doesn't stick around long enough so i use just good old vaseline. It soothes the itch almost instantly! Hope this helps!
|

replied January 23rd, 2014
Little tears are often caused by the chemicals in pads and tampons! However it often goes unnoticed unless your body is allergic to the chlorines used to bleach these products. I had the same problem and it became unbearable until I switched to 100% cotton, unbleached pads and quit using tampons. I also switched to simple, non-chlorine toilet paper. My problems vanished, and I'm saving my body and the earth from a lot of poisonous chemicals, too.

Additionally, you should *never* use anything other than water to clean your vagina! It is a very delicate area and its PH can be thrown off very easily. Because the PH of soaps, lotions, and vaseline are different from that of your vagina, using them will only extend your problems.
|