Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Severe Gout

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
I'm a 20+ year gout sufferer. This last bout made me change my diet. I found out about the diet-gout connection via the web. My doctor neglected to tell me that the beer, seafood and meat diet I was formerly on was counter-productive to gout management, guess he liked the repeat bussiness. My question is: can a severe gout attack in the little finger (to the point of grotesque swelling and discoloration--black-blue-purple) cause enough tissue damage to necessitate the debridement (removal) of the discolored tissue?
Thanks in advance,
ub
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 7th, 2006
Experienced User
It's rather unusual to have sever gout attack in the little finger, especially you are so young. My suggestion is: see a rheumatologist and have the problem joint fluid tested for the gout culprit: monosodium urate crystals. If you have gout, the proper treatment should reduce the swelling without a surgery. More gout info can be found at http://www.Icuredmygout.Org . Good luck.
|

replied March 7th, 2006
Jyy2:
maybe I wasn't clear in my first post. I'm not a 20yr. Old with gout, i'm 45 and a 20+ year veteran of gout. I've been through 10 years of limping (gout in the feet) then it attacked my knees and elbows, (drained numerous times, tested and confirmed gout) both bursa sacs in my elbows have been surgically removed due to gout. I can not begin to count the number of cortazone shots i've had in my knees and hands. I'm pretty damn sure I gots the gout. My question was: can a gout attack in the little finger ( to the point of grotesque swelling and discoloration black-blue-purple) result in enough tissue damage to necessitate the debridement of the affected tissue. But hey' thanks for the concern.
Ub
|

replied March 8th, 2006
Experienced User
Built up of tophi (msu crystals) around the joints can eventually damage the bones and soft tissues around the joints, including the little finger joints. I strongly suggest that you see a rheumatologist. Good luck.
|

replied March 8th, 2006
Jyy2
the last five years of allopurinol 300mg/day have pretty much taken care of the tophi. My rheumatalogist says I have minor bone loss in some joints. She calls them "rat bites". What I really need to know is: can gout (as formerly described) cause an abcess? And would the affected digit have to be cut open and have tissue surgically removed to "save" the finger?
Ub
|

replied March 8th, 2006
Experienced User
I have not read that gout can cause abscess and if so how to deal with it. I assume your rheumatologist or hand surgeon has the answers. Take care.
|

replied August 30th, 2010
gout and race
i'm 27 and have been battling gout since i was 18. in the last year and some change my hands and elbows have been affected. i changed my diet completely about five years ago but i still get dibilitanting flare ups. currently i can't use my left hand at all or even bend at the elbow w/o severe pain. making this dificult to type. when i was diagnosed with gout the doctor mentioned that i'm at a higher risk b/c of my race. its keeping me from finding a job aswell. has any one ever heard that ethnicity plays a part in gout?
|
Quick Reply