Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Fitness, Health and Nutrition Forum

Is It Not Good to Drink Tap Water During Pregnancy?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I dont know if its true or not but I thought I heard someone said it before that if u drink tap water during preg. Its not good for the baby or there are chances u might lose it cuz there are some kind not good stuffs in the tap water is that true or not? I need someone to answer this question for me lol to ease my anxiety. If its true then what type drinks would be safe to drink during preg.?? Anyone out there who drank tap water for whole pregnancy and baby came out healthy?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Hmm
No one knows?
|

replied March 6th, 2006
Experienced User
My mom had seven children and drank tap water throughout all her pregnancies... We came out fine. :) however, the quality of your tap water depends on where you live, so it might be a good idea to use a filter. Studies even say that bottled water can have adverse effects (on humans), so who knows? It's all so confusing. :) i'd ask my doc.
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
I've never heard it was bad...I wouldn't worry about it. If you are very worried I would get a brita but it should be fine. I know most people who are pregnant drink tap water.
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I don't drink tap water only bcos I live somewhere where it seems like they find giardia cysts in the water every summer. I do the bottled thing... If I wasn't concerned about the water safety then I probably would just drink tap. I've never seen anything in my preg books saying not to drink tap water....
|

replied March 7th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
You can buy a water filter from a store, just use that, it keeps most of the bad stuff out. Also you can boil it to kill any germs. Bottled water is too expensive all the time..For me anyway.
|

replied March 7th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Actually tap water has macro-nutrients in it that bottled water does not. Tap water is actaully better for you than bottled due to all of the nutrients have been filtered and distilled out of bottled water. The only reason people don't drink it is because of taste preferration....People don't like the taste so they don't reccomend it.

Has anyone seen that show on .Discovery health channel called .Dr. Know?!? He actually investigates bottled water vs. Tap and tap came out to be the winner in nutrients....

Unless you have water from a well and it contains high water of sulfer...Tap is better for you than bottled.

I plan on breast feeding but if that doesn't work out I intend on using tap to make the bottles...It is totally safe to drink tap while you're preggy..It's actually suggested...

Good luck yall!!
Sarah
|

replied March 7th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Ya I used tap water for my bottles when she stopped nursing. Its so much easier than filling it and waiting on the microwave when u can jsut turn on hot water to the temp u want
|