Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Can Afibrillation Cause Chest Pain and Shortness of Breath?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I'VE HAD A FIB SINCE JUNE OF 1999, AND WHEN I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY DAUGHTER LAST YEAR I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL 9 TIMES FOR MY HEART AND DIABETES. I HAD MY AUGHTER IN AUGUST OF 05 AND I'M STILL HAVING PROBLEMS. I SEE MY HEART DR AND SHE HAS ME ON COUMADIN. WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS CAN A FIB CAUSE CHEST PAIN AND SHORTNESS OF BREATH? EVERYTIME I LAY DOWN OR GO TO PICK UP MY LITTLE GIRL I CAN'T BREATH. I DON'T KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT A FIB. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY HEART IS NOT PUMPING ENOUGH BLOOD. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT OTHER SYMPTOMS A FIB HAS. THANKS..

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2006
Heart Disease & Heart Attack Answer A784
The heart contracts when stimulated by electrical impulses that it produces on its own. Any part of the heart muscle can produce electrical impulses that will cause heart contractions. Normally, the sinus node acts as the heart rhythm guide. The sinus node is found in the right heart's pre-chamber. The sinus node self-creates electrical impulses (auto-excitation); the pulse rate, however, is controlled by the neuron-vegetative system (simpaticus and parasimpaticus). Electrical impulses from the sinus node are then conducted to another node (atrial-ventricular) and from there are transmitted through Hiss’s fascicle into the heart chamber’s muscles. This means that one electrical impulse produced in the sinus node causes one contraction of the heart muscle. In atrial fibrillation, many electrical impulses are produced from various places in the heart’s atria. Not all those impulses will reach the chambers and cause contractions because some will be stopped in the atrio-ventricular node. But if there are many impulses produced in the atria(over 200 per minute), many of them will pass through the atrio-ventricular node and will reach the chambers causing the heart to contract too quickly (over 160 per minute). This may occur suddenly. it is called "supra-ventricular paroxysmal tachycardia". Such a heart rate is not effective and manifests with chest pain and breath shortness. While the chambers contract quickly, the atria are only trembling. This atrial trembling creates a condition for the development of blood clots. Blood clots created in the heart’s atria can cause thrombo-embolism in distant organs (lungs, brain, extremities, intestines etc.). Your doctor prescribed you Coumadin in order to prevent blood clotting in the atria. Atrial fibrillation is treated with digoxin, verapamil or another anti-arrhythmic drug.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.