Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Sharp Head Pains (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I've been very worried about these headaches i've been having. I keep getting sharp apins either in my temple area or on the top of my head. They only last a few seconds and are not very painful just irritating. I was wondering if anyone knew what they were as I am become very worried. Are these sort of headaches associated with brain tumour or ms?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lezrac82
|

replied March 5th, 2006
What i'm gonna tell you is based solely on my personal experience and is not backed up by any medical knowledge.

I'm prone to anxiety attacks, get real bad ones about twice a year, and mild ones every now and then. I'm also under a lot of stress due to college and such.

I experienced something similar to what you described a few months ago. I've been smoking back then, and out of the blue it would come, usually when I worked in front of my computer - a short lasting, sharp pain, right under the skull, at the right top side of my head. It kind of freaked me out, because I thought that stress and smoking were finally getting me.

Then later, right after another such pain occurred, I felt intense pressure in my head, a bad heart palpitation, and was literally losing consciousness. It felt differently than during your "normal" anxiety attack, because I was literally losing control of my arms and legs, and could barely stand straight. I looked up the symptoms online, and they were similar to a stroke.

Then a few days later the same happened again - numb legs and arms, difficulty speaking, head pressure, and a really bad heart palpitation. So I called an ambulance. By the time I got to the er, I kind of calmed down, but still could feel numbness and a weak pain in my head.

After I described my symptoms to a nurse, she told me that if that was indeed a stroke, I wouldn't be sitting in front of her discussing that with her. A doctor came over, talked to me, didn't say anything conclusive, and just asked if I wanted to take a brain scan. I figured I wouldn't and left the hospital.

That was not it, though. For about a week afterwards, I felt like my head was filled with cotton. I was sleepy all the time, and really sad about the whole thing (a depression?). I searched google for tightness in a head, blah blah blah, but didn’t find anything. The condition wore off after next semester in college started.

The conclusion - I really don't know what the heck that was. That couldn't be a stroke, because I was not affected by it in any way besides that tightness in my head. But at the same time, it was unlike anxiety attacks which i'm rather used to now.

:? :?:
|
Users who thank drifter for this post: lezrac82 

replied March 6th, 2006
Experienced User
Hi liam j:

i was experiencing the exact same thing as you... A really sharp head pain that last a couple seconds or so, and then goes away.. They come without warning too, just out of the blue and then are gone about the same way. I was getting very concerned too. I just started suffering from anxiety about 6 months ago. When my anxiety got to its worst about a little more than a month ago, they were the worst... Then I started getting real headaches every day. I have never had headaches before. I too was soooo terrified of a brain tumor... Actually at one point, I think I was pretty much convinced that I had one... I was so sad. Anyways, I just recently had an mri because my doctor thought it would make me feel better. Pretty much it comes down to it that brain tumors usually have much worse symptoms than these sharp pains. They are usually bad headaches in the morning right when you get up, vomiting/nasuea, and seizures. So I wouldn't be too worried about it. They are extremely rare in people who are young and don't have cancer. They are probably just these things called ice pick headaches, you can read about them on the internet. They are exactly as you and I describe and are very common in migraine sufferers. You might want to check it out. But if you are worried like I was... Then go to your doctor just to put your mind at rest. Its not worth it to worry! Hope this helps... Have a good one.
|
Users who thank scrdat20 for this post: lezrac82 

replied April 15th, 2011
Your a really nice person btw , taking ur time out to reassure people ... I no i over react but its our health !!! x
|

replied March 7th, 2006
Thanks both of you for your advice. Scrdat, i'm going to the doctors on thursday and im very worried. I realise that the headaches I have are not the headaches associated with brain tumors but still I cant help but feel worried.
|

replied March 7th, 2006
Experienced User
Yes, I know exactly how I feel. Every told me to stop worrying, and I tried my absolulte hardest telling myself that I was just worrying too much and that it was very unlikely that I had a brain tumor. Just try to be optimistic. Easier said than done, huh? Just hang in there. I bet you are probably fine. Brain tumors are very scary things, but luckily very rare. I just found out yesterday from my mri that I had inflammed sinuses froma cold I had a little while ago and that is what was causing my headaches. But the mri said my brain was perfectly fine. Huge relief. Your next challenge will be to believe the doctor. Trust them... It took me a couple times to start, but now that I see that they do pretty much know what they are talking about it, its a lot easier. So it might be tough to trust them at first.... I hope that you are not too worried, being worried sucks. Keep in touch and let me know how your appointment goes. Have a good day! :)
|

replied March 9th, 2006
Hey, i've just been to the doctors and he said the pains could be caused by small muscles spasms and there's no need to worry about them too much.
|

replied February 21st, 2008
Help me
I'm only 16 years old getting ready to turn 17 in a week. I have had really bad headaches ever sence I was 11. I get them rarely now but for the past year I have been getting very sharp random pians in my head towards the back and it will move towards the temples. The pain is only for a couple secondes then its gone, but the pain is so unbareable sometimes I feel like dying. I would really appreciate if some one could help me find out what could be my problem and what I should do. I'm scared.
|

replied February 21st, 2008
Help me
I'm only 16 years old getting ready to turn 17 in a week. Ever sence I was 11 I have had really bad migrains. They aren't so bad now, but the past year and like right this second I get these really, really bad sharp pains in my head. The pain is so sharp it feels like a drill in my head. It will start in the back of my head and move forward towards my temples. The pain is random and it hurts terribley, if any one can help me out and tell me what could be my problem. I'm scared and I'm in pain. I just need someones help.
|

replied February 22nd, 2008
liam j,

what did the doc tell you to do for you muscle spasms?
i think i might be going through the same thing..its feels like my temples get really tight all of the sudden. the pain comes and goes throughout th day?
|

replied April 4th, 2008
Sharp Pain
Hey Everyone,
I too receive these sharp head pains that last only a couple seconds and come and go as they please. I researched it through google and I found some very interesting stuff BUT I do have to say that you shouldn't just assume it's anxiety... go get it checked out just for kicks and giggles!!! One very interesting thing I found that could explain most of your pains is a brain aneurysm.... I have not gotten anything checked out myself yet but I do recommend researching it and bringing your findings to a doctor if it explains your symptoms... just a suggestion Smile
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2009
Thank you!
I just want to say that forums like these are very helpful. About 5 minutes ago I was frantically crying due to sharp head pains, like people have described above. I was hysterically crying. Reading this gave me piece of mind. 5 minutes ago I was looking out the window thinking I would never experience life, and thinking about the out comes of suicide. This forum saved me. Cause I too suffer from anxiety and stress. Thank you, I thought I had a brain tumour, now I'll probably just get an mri.

I use to be so optimistic and hopeful for the future. And for about a month I was at the edge of my seat "knowing" I was going to die. Thanks for bringing the optimism back into a 14-year-old girls life. It's important to have health resources like this. Anyone who has Chronic Anxiety Disorder knows it's not easy, this makes it so so much better.
|
Users who thank taylorrina for this post: rebeccagordon13 

replied June 4th, 2009
Sharp head pain
I am a 65 year old male. I've never had headaches, but about a year ago starting having a sudden sharp pain that last only 2-3 seconds; the pain seems to emanate from deep within my head, somewhere in the upper right quadrant. Typically after each sharp pain, I'm symptom free for several days. I don't think it's related to anxiety, nor can it be an aneurysm. I guess I'll ignore it until the symptoms get worse.
|

replied September 21st, 2009
Yea i have the same pains but i get them on the back right side of my skull and on my side a couple inches below my ribs they happen at the same time in the same place randomly
|

replied September 24th, 2009
I have the same thing.. im thinking it a tumar as well.. thinking im goign to die soon. .. and i also was crying crazy.. im 16 years old and i went to 2 docerts this week and they said it was mingrans. .. but i think i found out why.. can i ask a docter 4 a scan jsut in case ?
|

replied November 5th, 2009
I came across this forum when I searched for sharp pains in the skull area. I have had migraines for many years and have just recently had a short bout with high blood pressure. I started (just today) getting sharp, shooting pains around the skull area and they really,truly hurt! They are not like my migraines at all and I thought - uh oh, I'm gonna stroke out or something. I took an aspirin to thin my blood and I'm gonna go lay down. I hope this goes away. I have had cat scans and MRI's out the ying yang and everything always comes back fine - so I have no clue why this is happening!
|

replied December 13th, 2009
Sporadic Headaches
Hi everyone, I've been reading these posts and can't help but realize that this a somewhat of a trend in younger to teens to younger adults. I too suffer from anxiety, and have been ever since I was 14 years old. I am now 22 and even though I have learned how to manage the anxiety, I can still feel it getting worse. For just recently I have been getting these sporadic headaches. They start either at the top of my head right under my skull or right over my eyes or temples. Sometimes they are sharp, sometimes they are dull, but still painful. I was starting to relate it to stress or sinuses due to the location but they come out of nowhere and without any stressful factor. They are really scary to me although they only lasts for seconds, maybe a minute or two at the most. I find myself wondering if I will see another day. I think am I too young to die, and I know there is no such thing, but these brief, painful spells are freaking me out. Reading some of these posts are helping put my mind at rest. If anyone has any MRI results that conclude something irregular or abnormal, please share with me. Thanks!!
|

replied January 4th, 2010
Short Sharp Head Pains
Hi, i've been experiencing head pains all over my head for at least a year now. I agree with everyone, it is very scary. I have seen a neurologist as well as my primary care doctor regarding the sharp pains and they had me get an MRI and C-scan done and none of these test revealed anything such as a tumor. However, i still continue to visit with my drs. just to make sure i'm not surprised by anything serious because i fail to be proactive. So, the key is to make sure you consult your dr.

After reading everyones post, i decided to do a little research since i was looking for answers to this problem we all seem to be having and i found the below link. I read what was written and it seem to fit our issue. So, please take a look at this link and hopefully it will give you a little bit of relief. Just copy and paste it and it should come right up.

http://headaches.about.com/od/otherheadpai n/a/ice_picks.htm

One more thing, based on what my neurologist said to me, certain foods such as chocolate and gum chewing can trigger these pain episodes. I didn't think it was a factor before and after he mentioned it but recently over the holidays i purchased some chocolate and i was eating two and three of them in a day and i noticed my head pains would come on soon after. So, i've slowed down greatly with eating chocolate and chewing gum. caffeine also cause the head pains as well. To be frank with you all, it was a long list of things he mentioned and i will try and find that list and post it at another time.

Sincerely,

Kingston
|

replied June 15th, 2011
Recent head pains (Slight) left side of head
Thank you for all of your forums. They are very helpful. Especially those who have seen doctors and had tests done. Unfortunately, I am a procrastinator, however, I would be more concerned if the pains were getting worse. I believe the scariest thing is a pain you never experienced before. I've been an on and off smoker for years. Today, I smoke alot less so I believe it could have something to do with it, like a reaction to the head and body adjusting. Also, I have experienced slight migraines, but rarely get basic headaches. But listen to this!!! I live in a highly stressful home environment. Bumping heads constantly with my parents. Strokes and heart problems are in my family and blood. Stress has been something that we all embraced in our household and accepted, rather than actually tried to prevent. Including worrying about any little thing we possibly could. Everyday of my life, I wake up saying, "Today I will not worry about anything." However, it always gets me. Anyhow, my point to get across is this. You may wake up one morning feeling an ache or a pain that you never felt before. It's our body and unfortunately it won't last forever, but remember what the number one killer is in America!?Stress!!! Stress can tear you down and make everything hurt or fall apart even if it's not actually happening. It's my mission in life to prevent it from killing me. I suggest it to be yours as well. Wake up in the morning and say "I will not worry today!" God Bless you all, and may he keep you healthy and strong!
|

replied January 13th, 2010
hi, ive been having the exact same pains in my head for a while now. They are exactly as you all describe except for one difference. Mine are set off. It takes the smallest knock on the head, bite on something crunchy, or even if i bump into someone. I'm not saying I'm clumsy, its literally the smallest everyday thing that sets them off. I find myself being extra careful all the time and a little fearful of doing anything strenuous. The notes on this page have been a real help, but most have said that they happen spontaneously. Its probably nothing but I cant help but worry. Please help!

Lottie
|

replied January 14th, 2010
Ice Pick Headaches - The Basics
(Page 3)

In an article published in Current Pain and Headache Reports, Dr. Todd Rozen summarized the situation of people with ice pick headaches quite succinctly:

"The short-lasting headache syndromes are unique based on their short duration of pain and their associated symptoms. Physicians need to be knowledgeable about these syndromes because each has its own distinct treatment and if the diagnosis is missed, the patient can be burdened with extreme headache-related disability."2

If you're experiencing what you think may be ice pick headaches, please don't just assume that's what they are. Log them in your diary, and go see your doctor. As with any other head pain, there can be too many possible causes to guess. A doctor's diagnosis is vital.

------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------

Resources

1 Newman, Lawrence C., MD. "Effective Management of Ice Pick Pains, SUNCT, and Episodic and Chronic Paroxysmal Hemicrania." Current Pain and Headache Reports 2001, 5:292â??299.

2 Rozen, Todd D., MD. Short-lasting Headache Syndromes and Treatment Options. Current Pain and Headache Reports 2004, 8:268â??273

3 Young, William B., MD, and Silberstein, Stephen, D., MD. "Migraines and Other Headaches." American Academy of Neurology Press Quality of Life Guide. 2004. pp 140-141.

4 Tepper, Stewart J., MD. "Understanding Migraine and Other Headaches." University Press of Mississippi. 2004. pp 97-98.

< Page 1 2 3 > Previous Story
Hemiplegic Migraine - The Basics Next Story
New Daily Persistent Headache - The Basics
Font size
A
A
A
Email This
Print
Bookmark
Was this helpful? Yes Save
0:54How to Avoid Brain Freeze0:54Facts on Stress...2:26Learn about Headache...2:21Learn about Headache...People who read this also read...People who read this also read
Migraine - ice pick migraines

Migraine - 3/3/08 #4 - Weight gain from Elavil (amitriptyline)?

Alice In Wonderland Syndrome - The Basics

Cluster Headaches

Understanding Migraines and Migraine Disease

What the community is saying...Constant stomach pain, daily Migraines?
Posted 01/12 Comments (0)
Full Question: Hi, my name is Chrissy,...

Ask the Clinician
Profile >>

Most Viewed
Ice Pick Headaches - The Basics
Migraine Drug Information
Migraine Triggers
Medications Used for Migraine Treatment
Migraine Medications
Related Migraine Topics
can a migraine cause a fever
can having your eyes dilated cause a migraine
why do you get migraines
does mononitrates cause migraines
what fruits and vegetables cause migraines
ocular migraine cause

Ask a Question
Get answers from our experts and community members.

Ask a question...
View all questions (2639) >
|

replied January 29th, 2010
Sharp Head Pains...ugh!
Reading all of the responses to problems regarding the sharp come and go head pains really made me feel a little at ease about what I am going through. It makes me feel good to know that I am not alone in this, because for many months, I too believed that I was suffering from a tumor or maybe even the beginning warning signs of having a stroke. I go crazy at night just thinking about all of the many complications it could be.

I can not understand what is making me feel this way. The electrifying sharp pains sometimes keep me up at night. Because I am constantly losing sleep I also suffer from a lack of focusness, unwanted feelings of fear, the worrying, feeling tired during the day, and not to mention my work ethic is slacking in many ways. Who would have ever though that some sporadic head pains could spin a person in and out of depression and anxiety. I have been desperately searching for so long, just trying to come up with a name for what I am suffering.

So I am extremely grateful for all of the advice and shared stories given on this post. Now I feel confident enough to carry out the next step by seeking medical attention from my primary physician. I wish everyone good luck in combating this aliment and of course good mental and physical health.
|