Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Sudden Mushroom Allergy? (Page 1)

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
I have eaten mushrooms my whole life without a problem. About a month ago, I had soup at a japanese restaurant that was yellow broth, chopped green onion, and a mushroom. My esophagus swelled right after I had the bowl of soup. I know that I could have also been allergic to the preservative in the soup, but can you all of a sudden start having an allergy to mushrooms? Since the reaction happened, I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks. This has been a month of hell. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper CassAnn
|

replied July 28th, 2008
alleries to mushrooms
Very Happy Hi
I was a lover of mushrooms until 4 years ago when I nearly died. It start small nausea, sweating, loose bowels. that was the first sign of a problem being a chef I was stuffing 2500 mushrooms for a large party. I started to feel strange kind of itchy but a strange kind of itchy the bottoms of my feet felt itchy but also like they were burned and the burn was exposed to heat, then it started to feel like fire ants were crawling up my legs and arms starting at my finger tips, then my face felt very,very, hot and itchy.
they I passed out. woke up in the ambulance ect, ect,.

Yes Allergies to Mushrooms can come on suddenly, I use to eat portabella mushrooms grilled and in salads on meats in sauce ect. the Doctors are finding more , and more cases coming into the ERs as I found out today when I was being treated more mushroom exposer for the second time in 2 days. I'm a chef and mushrooms are not allowed the kitchen I work in but in the last 3 months we have had 4 headchefs come and go and it's really strange how they just don't understand the seriousness of this allergy. With each exposure My systems become worst. the ER Doctors are really puzzled by the behavior of the chef's in charge. today they had to write in my instruction for returning to work that I was Not to enter any kitchen at work that allowed mushrooms and that repeated exposure to mushrooms or mushroom spores can lead to sudden irreversable death.
So I guess I will have to look for another line of work. While the kitchen was adhearing to the no mushrooms in this kitchen rule I was fine, but now well you get the picture Chef A
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
Mushroom allergy
Mushrooms are not just a food now. Remember they are now being used in skin care lines such as some of the Aveno skin care products. It's a nightmare when I go for my annual mammogram as I usually have to go through at least 2 technicians before I find one that is not using Aveno with Shitake mushrooms on their skin or one that is not taking a mushroom supplement tablet every morning for anti-oxidant purposes.

My allergist told me a person can develop an allergy (yes, even severe) at any time to any thing. I ate mushrooms for 31 years. One day, 20-30 minutes after eating some mushrooms on a salad, I doubled over with stomach cramps and had blow out intestinal problems for 3 hours straight, non-stop. I thought immediately of the mushrooms, but thought it was food poisoning. Exact same thing happened 2 months later with 4 slices of mushroom spread over 2 pieces of pizza. A few months later, gave it 1 more try with 1 slice of mushroom -- exact same result. Finally realized I had a severe allergy. Thinking back, for 2 years prior to the first massive reaction, I'd had stomach aches after eating foods that had mushrooms or mushroom powder in the sauce. I never connected the two, just thought it was the rich sauce being too rich for my stomach.

Epipen Injector and Claritan Readitabs (instant melt, enters your system immediately) are now carried with me at all times. I do not eat at all in any restaurant that serves mushrooms. Restaurants (especially fast-food where there are flat grills and several things cooked on the same grill) do not understand the cross-contamination issue. Made to order omelet bar at a buffet -- out of question since someone before me likely had mushrooms in their omelet. Salad bar -- even if I skip the mushrooms, most restaurants tell me they chop all the veggies on the same cutting board early in the morning without washing the board in between different vegetables.

Asked my allergist if I was being paranoid, and he said I was doing exactly what I should be doing. He then cited ER stories of patients who were less diligent or restaurants that were less diligent and patients were exposed to their trigger allergen through cross-contamination incluing kissing their spouse who'd eaten something early in the morning to which the patient was
allergic (and reacting even though spouse had had other meals and drinks since then).

As mushrooms gain popularity, my joy of eating out diminishes. And while I do not hestiate to shake hands with men in business, church, etc., settings, any time I shake hands with a woman, I head to the ladies room and wash my hands immediately in case they use lotions, etc., with shrooms in them. And then I use a paper towel to open the door to exit because, what do women do the ladies room after washing their hands? You guessed it, they often apply a fresh layer of whatever lotion they carry in their purse!
|

replied October 15th, 2009
I used to eat mushrooms all the time, then I started getting really tired after eating them. It never even occurred to me that I was allergic. It was only in hindsight that we realized I had been having reactions. One time my friends had to violently shake me to get me to wake up, and again we just thought I was really tired for some other reason. Then one day I took a bite out of a stuffed mushroom (don't even remember stuffed with what, I don't think I even got to the center of the mushroom) and my throat closed up and I missed a couple breaths. Luckily, I recovered on my own, but was really tired the rest of the night. A skin test confirmed the allergy. I have also developed sudden allergies to shrimp, clams, and various drugs.
|

replied April 11th, 2010
Mushrooms, can there be a delayed reaction?
I may be allergic to mushrooms but not sure yet. Can anyone tell me if I could have a delayed reaction. This is the only food item I have taken from my diet.
I would not get a sudden reaction but a day or two later my whole body would go into inflammation. My shoulders and neck would stiffen,my heart rate go up and my insides felt as if I was in an attack, like they want to say autoimmune. But autoimmune attack comes from something. I am finding out that continued exposure to an adverse product an cause an autoimmune attack. The docters want to call it a disease and put you on meds. I am smarter than that and believe I have a food allergy, but they never told me that it could be that. Can anyone help me with the allergy or reaction, can it be delayed? Does a person have to have stomach cramps or could it me totally different?
|

replied September 2nd, 2011
Food allergies in general can have a delayed reaction. As you continue to eat the food it can turn from a delayed reaction to a sudden reaction. What i have read is that it can be up to 3 days after eating something that you may have the reaction.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
Mushroom allergy!
Delayed reaction, yes! I've been suffering from "migraines" for 8 years. I realized a year ago that I am allergic to all mushrooms. I love to wild harvest them and a year ago I finally made the connection. Yes, it takes me 24 hours to reach the peek of the allergic reaction. Most of the time I feel it starting the morning after I've ingested them. At about the 24 hour mark I am in bed with one side of my head and face pounding and swollen. The rest of my body aches and I sometimes vomit. Since taking mushrooms out of my diet I have been able to trace EVERY SINGLE reaction like this back to the meal I ate 24 hours before! Even taking out the mushrooms from a meal cooked with them will in it will make me sick. I also feel that fermented products can trigger this reaction, such as "real" sourkrout, kimche, kombucha and pickles. But only of they are lactofermented. I am an herbalist but I have not found an herb yet that can help me. If I take two aspirin immediately, as soon as I feel the symptoms starting in the morning I can usually avoid the bulk of the reaction. Definitely feel like this could be autoimmune attack!
|

replied April 12th, 2010
There could be a delayed reaction. I have a delayed reaction to shellfish. Technically, though, it is not an "allergy" as the doctors call it, but an "intolerance." It lasts for several days. By not an "allergy" I mean it does not show up on a skin test, but if you eat it there is a problem with the digestion, kind of like lactose intolerance, but it can get really bad. This is an adverse reaction that is not understood even by doctors or researchers. It is an area that needs to be further studied, because at this time we do not understand the exact mechanism by which the body rejects certain foods. If you think you are having an adverse reaction to something, don''t eat it. That is as far as medicine goes for this subject. Scary, but I know it to be true.
|

replied April 12th, 2010
My reaction lasts several days,even a week. I feel like I am dying. Can there we an internal, systemic reaction and can that do damage to the heart, internal organs?
|

replied April 21st, 2010
mine is a similar story to the second paragraph of "calgal"''s problem, eating mushies or any kinda asian curry with mushies sends me to the toilet for atleast two hours buckled over with stomach cramps.

even if vegetables are cut on the same board as mushrooms same thing happens, now i make it a point in restaurant/fast food places not to put mushrooms near my food cuz im allergic to it, they dont listen, so usually i just dont go back to that place, since they dont take me serious im not gona give them a cent, plus it hurts my stomach/bowels so much wots the point in going out to pay for a meal when u know ure going to pay for it later on the toilet.
|

replied September 9th, 2010
Really good allergy testing for mushrooms etc...
My doctor recommended I get a thorough report of my food sensitivities Through a company called USBioTek Labs. I was told this blood test is more accurate than a skin test but I've never has a skin test so I cannot compare the results. The report was spendy $200 dollars to my doctor (could be cheaper somewhere else) and it takes 3-4 weeks to get results back.

The report you get contains your reactions to nearly 50, most common food allergies but I believe they can test for more, environmental allergies and other metabolic conditions well. I briefly checked out their website. The test rates your food sensitivities on a scale of 0-6. A 6 would be allergic 3-5 is considered a sensitivity or intolerance to various degrees. Sever reactions usually occur at level 6 but at other levels reactions may vary from unnoticeable to severe as well.

Although my symptoms have never been "sever" they seemed to be getting worse and more frequent. I'm actually 41 (don't tell anyone) so I don't really know which may be acquired or life long. Still I could not pinpoint the cause of my various recurring symptoms. It turns out that I am highly sensitive to seven common foods and rated a 5 for almonds, Oysters, and MUSHROOMS (who knew?) I hate oysters but almonds and mushrooms (dairy, gluten, bananas, etc...) are things I have been eating frequently. My doctor said she had been using this test regularly and I was first patient she knew that tested positive to any degree on mushrooms. Maybe it's just not common enough for doctors to take seriously as apposed to peanuts and bee stings.

Right now I'm using a total elimination diet for one month. Then I will add back foods one at a time to see if the symptoms are tolerable to me or not. I'm pretty sure I can withstand some discomfort for MILK chocolate.
|

replied September 13th, 2010
Wish someone has an answer for drpepper0. Has anyone either experienced or is anyone aware of a connection to an allergic reaction followed by days of panic or anxiety attacks? My daughter has tentatively been diagnosed with allergic reaction to shellfish after an episode. (Pending testing to confirm) But, has experienced lesser symptoms that resemble anxiety attacks. She is miserable and feels she has something worse than an allergic reaction episode would cause. I'm tossing around the idea of "anxiety" but would like to know if that's common after an allergic reaction. It's been a week post the shellfish reaction.
|

replied September 20th, 2010
Mushroom allergy?
I am also wondering if I am going in the direction of calgal. I have been picking and eating wild mushrooms for years. Last year at the end of the season after a great meal with one mushroom (tunnel chanterelle), about 30 min later I doubled over with stomach pains which lasted for several hours. I didn't make the real connection. Now after this year's season, and third meal where I have keeled over with stomach pain from this mushroom, I guess it is allergies or intolerance. The normal doctor has no clue, mushroom expert hadn't heard of stomach pains from this particular mushroom, allergy oranization hadn't heard at all of mushroom allergies. After some web searching, there isn't much info to be found. Great if there are more tips on what to read about this.
|

replied September 22nd, 2010
wondering if you (wildmushrooms123) also have this reaction with the 'regular' mushrooms?? We eat store-bought mushrooms regulary - but tonite my husband had a reaction to some wild mushrooms brought over by a friend. He didn't ingest them, just touched them - but ended up with a rash all over his body, pins & needles tingling all over too. Symptoms resided after some benadryl...but wondering if he'll react that way to all kinds of mushrooms or not?
|

replied September 24th, 2010
In early August my family and I collected "chicken of the woods" in nearby forest and I cooked it up for dinner. After eating 4 bites, my face turned red and puffed up and heartbeat started racing and my breathing was affected. I took an allergy pill and went to bed. The next day the symptoms came back and I almost passed out. I called 911 and was treated for severe allergy. My family was fine after eating this.

Just a couple of weeks ago I decided to try a Reishi tea that I bought at the Chinese grocery store. After taking the tea two days in a row, my body got hot and I couldn't breathe and almost passed out. My doctor brother gave me an Epi pen so I gave myself a shot and was rushed to the hospital.

I have eaten mushrooms all of my life with no problems. I cultivate shiitake. My allergist says I am not allergic to mushrooms. She also says I didn't have allergies to those wild mushrooms. I am going to see another allergist for a second opinion.
|

replied October 25th, 2010
Kombucha connection?
I too think I have an allergy to mushrooms after recent severe gastronomical pains occurring after consumption of mushrooms. I wonder if this might have been incurred by consumption of Kombucha, which appears to be a popular drink and it also appears more and more people are complaint about thus allergy to mushrooms.
|

replied November 8th, 2010
Gastrointestinal pains due to Mushrooms
I myself have noticed that after eating any type of fresh, cooked mushroom I get severe stomach pains that last for hours. (However, this does not occur if i eat canned mushrooms). I would take antacids and the pain still will not go away. I was also recently diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis, wondering if there could be a connection. Maybe i have developed some sort of intolerance to mushrooms and i experience this similar symptom with scrambled eggs, however not with boiled eggs.
|

replied May 27th, 2011
Hello Mushroomluva,
Did you ever figure out the connection with scrambled eggs and mushrooms? I have thought I had a sensitivity to eggs, but was not bothered by all eggs, although definitely scrambled. Then I have been having the same issue with food when no eggs were present. Today I was thinking mushrooms when I found your post. Maybe it is not all in my head after all. Any ideas?
|

replied February 16th, 2013
I recently started experiencing severe abdominal cramping and gastrointestinal distress after eating certain foods as well and have now narrowed it down to mushrooms and eggs as the top offenders. Very interesting to see two others with a similar experience! I wonder if the two foods share a common compound that is to blame? I've found broccoli causes similar problems, though not always.
|

replied September 17th, 2012
I also suffer from ulcerative colitis and have a stomach ache after eating mushrooms. Several years after being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, I started developing new allergies to certain foods (fresh mushrooms, kiwi, pineapple, mango, figs). Since ulcerative colitis is an autoimmune disorder and it's not totally understood how and why the problem occurs, it is possible that allergies are somehow related to it. Both ulcerative colitis and allergies are a result of one's own immune system attacking things in the body unnecessarily. I've been interested in this for a long time, as several types of autoimmune disorders run in my family.
|

replied November 21st, 2010
Allergies to wild chanterelles
I am 42, and I've recently noticed a reaction to eating wild mushrooms that I have never noticed before in my life. About 4 weeks ago,I took a mushroom identification course in the woods where we picked and ate a a variety of wild species. The next day, I woke up with extremely red swollen eyes and congested sinus passages that lasted for several days. I thought it was seasonal, or perhaps related to the forest moss. A week later, when I prepared store-bought wild mushrooms (chanterelles), I had the same reaction.

I'd be very interested in hearing if anyone has experienced similar symptoms.
|

replied December 20th, 2010
i dont know if im allergic to mushrooms but i have a strange reaction when i eat them. if i eat mushrooms at any time of the day, at night i dream that the house is burning around me and i wake up with my heart beating very fast and my face feels like its still in the house burning in a pot of boiling water. it lasts 2 minutes and only happens when i eat mushrooms.
i would like to know if anyone has experienced the same with any foods
|

replied February 13th, 2011
could it be mushrooms?
Im hoping someone can give me an answer to what I am feeling... I noticed a pattern.. 2 weeks ago I ordered pizza with mushrooms on it and that night I felt real bad.. my symtoms werent that of an allergic reaction..like redness or itchy or your throat closing up. It was more like anxiety or panic attacks.. like if something was going to happen to me and I felt it coming.. I was feeling a little dizzy as well.. but i had a complete check up and my labs were normal. last night I ordered the pizza again not knowing that it might be the mushrooms and I felt horrible all night with the same feelings.. Has anyone felt only those symptoms?? I dont have stomach pains though.. im just wondering if it could be that...
|

replied April 24th, 2011
Possible allergic reaction to Mushrooms
My son are pizza last week and told me that on the way home he felt like he was having a panic attack. This has continued on and off for the past week. He says it feels like shortness of breath. He has not had any pains either. Wondering if its the mushrooms?
|

replied June 18th, 2011
Allegy to Mushrooms
Stores; food and takeaways need to take this serious. My allergy started around 12 years ago. I didn’t put 2 and 2 together until I made a home made chili and left out the mushrooms. It starts off being in agony in my stomach them my bowel I end up with chronic diarrhea; vomiting and swollen stomach; my head hurts and I sweat and get all hot my heart rate increases and I feel very – very unwell.

If the mushrooms are fresh I may get away with just stomach ach but if they are old or have been dried like in packets of jars etc I get really sick with upset tummy and vomiting, I feel unwell for days after. Cross contamination is just as bad and no joke for us sufferers we need to take action NOW and make this known to all those who sell; cook and prepare foods one day someone will die form this why wont they believe us?
|

replied January 16th, 2012
Stomach cramps, diarrhea, anxiety attack, pounding heart, shortness of breath, severely itchy and tingling palms and soles of feet are all signs of allergic reaction. I have learned this the hard way after suffering for a long time and my doctor coming up empty handed after standard blood tests. I would wake up from a sound sleep with my heart racing and feeling like I was going to die and my dr gave me xanax and told me it was anxiety. Nope, allergic reaction. In my case it was to a medication I had taken for years and I was taken off the drug when I became pregnant and haven't had an attack since. I have since found out that food, drugs, environmental, etc can all cause these kinds of attacks. You dont always get hives.
|
12 >>