Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Ct Scans

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
It's me again. I forgot to mention in my previous post that i've been reading a lot about ct scans on the internet and most people say that they are useless in detecting brain tumors. If that's true then why do drs. Still use them? Am I maybe reading old stuff about the 4, 6 and 8 slice scanners? Like I said, the one they used on me is brand new, 16 slice, which produces almost a thousand images. How can something that detailed miss a tumor? I just don't get that at all.

Melanie
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
That is not true - ct scans will detect brain tumours... These things are serious and are not easily missed by doctors or scans. A brain tumour is a mass that puts pressure on the surrounding tissue... That is what a ct scan is... A scan of brain tissue. Doctors also usually perform neurlogical examinations where the brains functions are tested. This together with a ct scan will very rarely miss a brain tumour.

James
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
Hi james!!!

Thank you for your reply. You don't know how much better you've made me feel. There's something wrong with me, anxiety, whatever, that I just can't seem to shake this fear. I do have a very severe sinus infection that's even making my ear hurt. I am hoping a lot of my worrying is anxiety, stress and depression. I had the scan over a month ago and so far have not developed any new symptoms. I don't know whether or not I mentioned it in my previous post, but I did have a complete neurological workup. Now your reply has made me feel so much better. Thank you and god bless you. God works through other people you know.

In his love,

melanie
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
Hi melanie:

i just have a question for you. Are you really worried about having a brain tumor?...Almost to the point that you really think that you have one? That is what I am going through now for some reason... Like you, I just feel like there is something wrong with me. I have been having pretty bad headaches every day for about a month now and I have never had headaches before. I am a 20 year old female in great health otherwise. I think I have been suffering from anxiety for a couple of months now. I did have an mri just this monday and I am anxiously waiting for the results. I don't really have any other symptoms of a neurological problem other than that, but for some reason I am terrified I have a brain tumor. I was just wandering if you are experiencing this too. Thanks so much. :)

~mandi
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
Hi mandi,

yes, i'm obsessed with it. I've been dealing with way too much stress. This all started out in my neck, and shoulders extending down into mid back. After about a week of that, it went up into the back of my head. Across it. Not pain really, just kind of a tight feeling, I didn't even take aspirin for it. I did have a bad sinus infection w/ a bad sinus headache, and that was found on the ct scan. Said that the sinus cavity was completely full of infection. My ear even hurts. People with anxiety disorders always think they have brain tumors if they have persistent headaches. I don't know why we do it, but we do. I've had so many people tell me to believe in that machine and that radiologist, who they claim is very, very good and the machine is a brand new 16 slice scanner, I even went to the hospital and got the report. No other neurological symptoms except some slight nausea. But I have a very bad stomach anyway, so that could be caused by many things. But nobody can convince me that I don't have a tumor. And i'm sick of feeling like this. Living in constant terror, dwelling on it, which only exacerbates everything, makes it worse. I've noticed that when I watch a movie, or am laughing with my husband or a friend, etc. That I have no headache at all, except for the sinus one. And it didn't help me a bit to get on the internet and do all those searches that I did, and finding out that ct scans were worthless in detecting brain tumors. I can't imagine that if they are, then why do neurologists and doctors still use them on the brain looking for tumors. So yes, i'm terrified, even though the scan said there were no masses nor evidence of one. Let me know how your mri comes out. I'll bet you're just fine. Anxiety is one big cause of headache, if not the biggest. That and stomach disorders. It's easy for me to tell you that I think you're okay, but during the past 4 years, due to way too much stress, i've become ms. Doom and gloom, so I think everybody else that has recurring headaches are fine, but i'm not. And i've also heard that primary brain tumors are very rare, can't remember what the percentage is, but i've convinced myself that i'm in the percentage that gets them. Oh my, whatever will convince me that I don't? Good luck and let me know, okay? How long do you have to wait? The city i'm in, if you get a ct scan or an mri, you find out that very day. I would not like being kept in limbo.

All the best,

melanie
|

replied March 2nd, 2006
Experienced User
Hi melanie:

it makes me feel so much better that there is someone else out there like me. I have actually calmed down a bit over the last week or so. That internet is terrible isn't it! I can't believe how much worse it has made my anxiety!! Actually, I blame most of my anxiety on it. I have really tried to make myself not look stuff up, it has helped a lot. Just when I am sitting here at work on my computer and I have the internet so readily at hand that I just couldn't help it. Before I knew I had anxiety I would sit here and look up some wierd things I was having, all the while making my anxiety worse. I would read some article about a brain tumor,etc. And get all worked up. I'm like you, as long as my mind is off of it I am fine. When I was most worried about having a tumor, I was getting terrible headaches every day... Now that I am a little more relaxed and not so stressed... Waalahhh.. No more headaches. I just found myself worrying so much about whether I was going to have a seizure ( a bad sign of a brain tumor) anxiety is a wierd thing..... But now that I have figured out that I suffer from it.... I have been successful at improving. I think I just need this mri to stop sorrying....I hope I believe the results. I bet you will be fine too... Just know that you are not alone... Try your absolute hardest to trust the doctors... I am going to try too... I have found that if I have something to keep me busy it is way better. Spend lots of quality fun time with your husband... That is number one favorite thing. I just had to tell myself that I am not going to look back on my life in 50 years and see all that time and energy I spent worrying wasted. It is going to take me alittle while to get through this.... But I am trying very hard. Good luck to you as well... Keep me posted. It helps so much for me to be able to talk to someone like you!! :)
|

replied March 3rd, 2006
Mandi, you sound so much like me I wonder if we aren't twins separated at birth :wink: i've been sitting around waiting on the seizure too. It's been over a month since I had the scan, and I haven't had any new symptoms and my Dr. Told me when I had it, that if I was still convinced that I had a tumor, to wait a month, and get another one done. You told me that you did a lot of searching on the internet, just like I do. There are stories about brain tumor survivors that will scare you to death. I even found one website that listed these survivors symptoms. Just everyday stuff like, earache, frequent urination, tingling in the pinky finger, stuff that people get all the time and amounts to nothing. I just finally chalked it up to they aren't telling their whole story. I don't do searches about brain tumors anymore. And today was a good day, and i'm beginning to wonder whether or not the weird feeling in the back of my head has anything to do with this massive sinus infection. Both of my ears ache, I can't breathe through my nose, not at all. If somebody kidnapped me and taped my mouth, i'd suffocate, literally because I can't breathe through my nose!!!!!! The pain is not severe, (well, in the sinus area it has been), and still......I worry. Have you ever had a panic attack? Maybe you have an anxiety disorder and don't know it. I wish I knew more about you, maybe I could help you more, be more reassuring. Do not be surprised if you doubt the mri, i'm having all kinds of doubts about the cat scan. Last night, a friend of mine was trying to reassure me, and she is a breast cancer survivor, so when they check her to make sure her cancer hasn't returned anywhere in her body, they run a cat scan on her. She told me that they found a small cyst in the scan and sent her on for an mri. But the cat scan found it, just wasn't sure what it was. And she said it wasn't very big either. The cyst was in her sinus area, she had surgery and they removed it, so she's a big believer in them. If you want, i'll give you my e-mail address, and maybe we can help each other. I'm really interested in knowing whether or not you have any anxiety disorders or not, if you do, I can help you as i've dealt with that for years now.
feel free to e-mail me anytime. I'll keep you in my prayers. We could probably talk better e-mailing each other anyway. Let me know about your mri and in the meantime, if you need to talk, or you get scared, let me know, i'm here for you.

In his love,

melanie
|

replied December 29th, 2010
Hi everybody , I be having sharp pain on the side of my head , I went to the Emergency Room and they did a CT Scan and is was negative I'm so scare for a brain tumor they told me to make an appointment for a MRI why?

Maria
|

replied March 28th, 2011
i am also starting to worry about my health. i have had "vertigo" all my life. sometimes it jsut last a few minutes and i get dizzy and everything goes black. other times i just feel dizzy and slow for others. but now its getting worse. it use to be an occasional thing. now it happends a few times a week. i am only 21 but i feel more like im in my eighties. this "vertigo" as the doctors put it is now making me feel "SlOW" i can't quite think straight. At the doctors today while filling out paper work i got so dizzy they put me in a wheel chair. I feel so helpless. I am having a hard time believing that it is only vertigo. i usually am pretty smart and quick but now the simplest tasks make me feel slow and helpless. they did a few test. took some blood, did a coordination test where i had to touch my nose then touch the doctors finger. and they also did a ct scan. then end result was a diagnosis of vertigo. i know i should be happy with those results but after my grandmothers experience i am worried. for years the doctors came up with simple results and sent her on her way. then she finally told them they were wrong and they found a brain tumor. i feel so helpless. i guess i just want a treatable result. i am tired of feeling like there is something wrong with me and not knowing how to fix it. can anyone give me any advice. maybe shed some light on vertigo or how to go about telling the doctors that this is seriouse.
|