Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Can Ear Pain be Connected with Pain in the Throat and Tongue

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I have had a cold for 6 days. Starting sometime yesterday, a place on the back of my tongue on one side has become sore. It hurts when I move my tongue around to eat. It also hurts to swallow, although my throat is not sore. It does not feel swollen, but I don't know. The inside of my ear on that side also hurts, and the pain in my ear feels connected to the pain of my tonque, and the pain of eating or swallowing. I wonder if the ear and tongue pain is connected, and whether this is connected in any way to the common cold that I have had (but seem to be getting over). Is this something that will probably go away soon on its own? Is there any way I can treat it at home or with over-the-counter medicine?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2006
Dental Health Answer A850
Oral-pharyngeal-middle ear infections can be connected to the common cold that has exacerbated into a bacterial complication. If diagnosed as a middle ear infection, your doctor can prescribe antibiotic tablets (amoxicillin-3X500mg per day for 7 days), local treatment with an antiseptic solution for the oral cavity (providone iodum 1%) , and antibiotic drops for the ear (neomycin+dexametason). You can schedule a visit to your family doctor, and then an ENT specialist, if necessary.
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Dental Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.