Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Skip Placebo Pills In Order to Skip Period? (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I am going to hawaii in a couple weeks. I just realized that I couldn't have more perfect timing (yeah right!) as my period is on track to show up perfectly for the time I am there. I really don't want to be plagued by the monthly visitor while I am on vacation as it makes me miserable (cramps, bloating, irritablility, etc.) I was wondering if I could skip my placebo pills and just start a new pack. Has anyone ever done this? Did any period symptoms show up? Is it dangerous or unhealthy in any way? Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kristigraham
|

replied March 1st, 2006
Experienced User
Re: Skip Placebo Pills In Order to Skip Period?
scrdat20 wrote:
i am going to hawaii in a couple weeks. I just realized that I couldn't have more perfect timing (yeah right!) as my period is on track to show up perfectly for the time I am there. I really don't want to be plagued by the monthly visitor while I am on vacation as it makes me miserable (cramps, bloating, irritablility, etc.) I was wondering if I could skip my placebo pills and just start a new pack. Has anyone ever done this? Did any period symptoms show up? Is it dangerous or unhealthy in any way? Thank you!

it's not recommended (just because your uterus needs to shed each month) but every time I did it my period never even seemed to want to occur. It shouldn't hurt you if you only do it once, but doing it numerous times can reeeeally mess up your cycle because it doesn't know when to start or stop.
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2006
Especially eHealthy
You can do it as long as yoyu don't do it every month.Like the person above me said,it can really mess up you cycle.Just for this occasion I would do it
|

replied March 1st, 2006
Experienced User
You can only skip your period if you're taking a monophasic pill. If you're unsure as to whether or not yours is monophasic, you can tell by the color of your active pills. Active monophasic pills are all the same color and contain the same amount of hormones in each pill, triphasic pills are a different color each week and each week's pills contain a different level of hormones. :)

however, even then you still run the risk of your period getting messed up especially if you don't take your pill at the exact same time every day... You might successfully skip your period (you may still experience pms though) or you might delay the onset of it by a week. Sometimes it's worked for me and sometimes it hasn't.

Nicole
|

replied March 1st, 2006
Hmmm,thats interesting
|

replied March 1st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Yes triphasic pills have so many different hormone levels that it can cause pretty heavy breakthourgh bleeding in women who try and skip their periods. Seasonale is monophasic obviously...

The very first month that you try and skip your period you may still have some light bleeding, it does take a few months of skipping for your bosy to adjust.

A period on the pill is not a real period, it is simply a withdrawal bleed. It is safe to skip periods while on the pill, and in fact the very first pills did not have a period week. To try and make the pill seem more natural they added a period week, but it is just a withdrawal bleed caused by no more hormones.
|

replied March 1st, 2006
Experienced User
carifairy wrote:
yes triphasic pills have so many different hormone levels that it can cause pretty heavy breakthourgh bleeding in women who try and skip their periods. Seasonale is monophasic obviously...

The very first month that you try and skip your period you may still have some light bleeding, it does take a few months of skipping for your bosy to adjust.

A period on the pill is not a real period, it is simply a withdrawal bleed. It is safe to skip periods while on the pill, and in fact the very first pills did not have a period week. To try and make the pill seem more natural they added a period week, but it is just a withdrawal bleed caused by no more hormones.

glad you posted cari! Maybe the reason i'm not always successful with skipping my period is because I haven't done it several months in a row. It's always been a once in a while thing for me - like usually while i'm out of town, on vacation, etc.

Nicole
|

replied March 3rd, 2006
Your not suppose to skip your period in the first place,but its even worss to do it constantly.You could really mess yourself up.
|

replied March 3rd, 2006
Experienced User
Thank You
Thank you, ladies for your replies. I certainly don't want to do it every month, but I think I will give it a try this one time. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't unhealthy to not let all of that stuff out when it is supposed to come out. :) thanks again!!
|

replied May 27th, 2006
If you are taking a monophasic pill, it is perfectly okay to take the active pills straight for up to 3 months at a time. This is exactly what seasonale is. They took a normal monophasic pill and said that taking it for 84 days was okay, and named it seasonale. As long as your pill is monophasic, it is exactly the same thing.

Doctors wouldn't proscribe this, if it was unhealthy or unsafe. If you are on the pill, you do not have a true period each month- therefor skipping the placebo week will not hurt you at all. Its not like there is blood backing up into your body, and it is not hurting you.

It is suggested that one should not do this until they talk to a doctor or clinician.

But if you plan on doing this, make sure you are not taking a triphasic pill. It does not work the same way.

Roxann
|

replied May 27th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Skipping periods on a pill is not big deal. The pill stops ovulation and stops the uterine lining from biulding up completely. The period on a pill is just withdrawal bleed.

They are coming out with a new pill that you take and only get a period 1 time a year!!!

It is safe so far, and doctors who are women have been doing it for years and years. One doc I go to has skipped her period for 10 years, because she gets bad cramps.
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2006
Experienced User
Well my doctor flipped out when I told her I hadn't had a period on a little over a year...I have pcos. She started me on pills right then and there to make me have one and said that women should have a least 4 periods a year to cut way down on chances of cancer and other probs.
|

replied May 28th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
That is different!!!

You were not on pills!!

When you are on birth control pills your uterine lining does not build up like women who cycles unapproved advertising spam not having a period when you are not on birth control pills is a bad sign yes.
|

replied June 9th, 2006
Talk to your doctor. With questions like these you don't need to be asking people on a forum. While we have person experience I think the majority of us didn't go to medical school.

If you're concerned call your doctor, the person who did go to medical school.

I suggest you follow the instructions on the medication (as in don't skip your period).

If you really don't want to have any more periods then get on the depo shot. You'll stop having period in about 3 months.

I don't mean to be harsh, but it's imperative that you keep up a good working relationship with your doctor and that you ask your doctor these kinds of important questions. The forum is for general advice, but everything should be backed up by your doctor, especially when dealing with medications like birth control and anything prescription. :)
|

replied September 24th, 2009
By skipping a placebo week and starting the new pack, does that have an effect on the effectiveness of the pill?
|

replied October 26th, 2009
Actually my doctor suggested that I skip them.
She says it is an induced period anyway.
Think, the pill tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant.
IF it thinks you are pregnant , you do not produce any tissue to create a fetus.
Your period is to dispose of this tissue if you do not get pregnant.

If you don't produce this tissue, you don't have a period.
I've been doing it for 6 months and have NEVER felt better (but I am only 17 so maybe my age has something to do with it )
My doctor personally has done this for 3 years and says she is healthy (she's in her late 30s)
BUT I've realized that if I miss a pill, I immediately get cramps.

There have also been many doctors who do it themselves/
I read that one of these women has been skipping placebos for 12 years!

BUT I've realized that if I miss a pill, I immediately get cramps.

The question is. When you want to have children, how long does it take for your cycle to regulate normally again?
|

replied November 25th, 2009
Skipping your sugar pills to avoid a period will not harm you in anyway, I have not had a period for years and years. It want stuff up your cycle or cause cancer and it will not affect your chances of becoming pregnant when the time is right. If you need to skip a period for a special occasion or holiday have a practice run a few months in advance. Or go the whole hog and give up your sugar pills for good, who needs a period anyway. We go on the pill to stop ovulating and to avoid pregnancy. If you want to get pregnant stop taking the pill and your real period will return when you begin to ovulate again.
|

replied February 9th, 2010
These last posts are correct. The contraceptive pill gives you a "fake" period - a withdrawal bleed because you have stopped taking the pills with the hormones in them. I was getting a three day migraine every month because of the hormonal imbalance which was occurring during my period. I almost lost my job because I had time off once a month. Plus I was miserable and spending a lot on migraine medication. Now that I take the pill back to back (on advice from my doctor of course) my life is so different. No more days off work because of migraine every month. Its made a huge difference.
|

replied November 4th, 2011
Hi Madeleine,

Just wondering what pill you are taking. Im a migraine sufferer every month due to my periods. spending a fortune on tablets. Seriously thinking of going on the pill to end this miserable time.
|

replied February 21st, 2010
i have skipped my period for 6-8 months now, so what i'm reading, i won't lose the chance to have children?
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
You need your period
You need to have your period. It's so unhealthy not to have it. If it was so healthy not to have your period then there would be pills advertised to cancel periods. Clearly when you hit menopause and your period is gone problems do occur. Some people may be lucky to be able to not have it and be healthy but others have serious side affects. Periods are a natural way of your body and your messing with it by taking the bc and skipping the periods. If it was so healthy to not have your period, all bc pills wouldn't have sugar pills in them. Think about it.
|