Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

My thumb has gone numb

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I was at work yesterday cutting some things out with scissors and all of a sudden the upper part of my right thumb went numb. I was wondering why this could have happened at first I thought it went to sleep but I woke up this morning and it was still numb. Any help you can give would be great!! :?:
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 20th, 2006
Your thumb has no circulation, relax your thumb in a warm area or some lukewarm water, message your thumb out in some heat.
|

replied March 20th, 2006
Hi,
I had a simular problem only my two fingers and thumb were involved and painful it was difficult using my hand for anything. They had no color and would turn purple when imerged in warm water. I was diagnoised with raynauds disease. The pain has gone some what and my fingers still go purple in warm water. At one point they couldn't get a pulse reading in my finger. I had neverheard of such thing but recearch it and see if you thing this is want is going on. Cold makes it worse. I had people tell me it could be corpal tunnel. Let me know what you find out or if it persists
ctg
|

replied August 26th, 2013
I have raynauds. But my veins restrict blood flow in the cold. I cant get my hands too cold.
|

replied March 20th, 2006
Well it is probably carpal tunnel but I would ask your doctor first.
It depends what type of pain and aching you hsve in the numbness in your finger and thumb.
I pulled up some information maybe this will help.

One of the earliest signs of carpal tunnel syndrome is numbness and pain in the hand at night. The distribution is distinctively in the thumb, index and middle fingers of the hand.

: carpal tunnel syndrome results from compression of the median nerve at the wrist. It can present, as noted above, with nighttime findings which may progress to daytime pain, numbness and weakness of the thumb. Carpal tunnel syndrome is often seen in patients who do repetitive tasks such as typing, writing or knitting, for example.

: try making a fist and then flexing your wrist to make a 90 degree angle with respect to the forearm. Hold it there for a minute or so. If this maneuver reproduces the pain, you likely have carpal tunnel. This is known as phalen's test.

: initial therapy for carpal tunnel syndrome is conservative with a wrist splint and avoidance of things that would aggravate matters. Surgery for decompression of the nerve is indicated only after a period of conservative therapy has failed to improve the symptoms.

: speak to a physician about the diagnosis of carpal tunnel in you situation for an opinion. Also, one should be wise to the possibility of a herniated cervical disc in this situation as well.
|

replied October 20th, 2011
I get my left thumb numbing out every time I use a peN/pencil/crayon or any writing instument for more then a couple minutes right now I'm texting this with a very numb thumb it always takes a week for it to remedy itself with quite a bit of tingling pain and discomfort it is really inconveniencing when trying to put peircings in or virtually do anything with a numb thumb, carpol runs in my family which sucks but although I can't do the above tests without great pain, there's gotta be something that can alieviate the numbness so it doesn't take a week of screwing around and waitinng for it to correct itself
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
missnumbness,

Unfortunately, this is a problem with one or more of the peripheral nerves, innervating the thumb. Some how, you are putting enough pressure on the nerve(s) to cause a neuropathy. This is why the thumb goes to sleep. Since it wakes up in a few days, the severity is considered to be a neuropraxia (still reversible).

However, the fact that it takes a week for the thumb to wake up is really not a good sign. Most compression neuropathies will wake up within minutes once the pressure is relieved. Like when you sit on your foot and it goes to sleep.

You should stop the inciting activity as soon as you start to feel the symptoms, rather than continue to injure the nerve. If you continue to do this, you will eventually damage the nerve so much, that it will not wake up.

You really should have this evaluated by a hand surgeon. You may have a compression neuropathy that could be treated with a surgical decompression. Or, in some of these cases, a steroid injection may alleviate the problem. But, the only way to know would be to have the thumb and upper extremity examined.

Good luck.
|

replied July 23rd, 2013
Hi i was using a pair os scissors and qithin 10 mins the top part of my thumb is numb. Iits still numb a day. I get a slight achy pain in the bend of my arm every now n then. Not really pain but is annoying now. Thanks bri
|
Quick Reply