Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Excessive Ear Wax Buildup

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
For the last few years I have had to go to a doctor every 3 months or less to clean out excessive ear wax.

I am no longer using q-tips and any time I try peroxide or other things, it seems to push the ear wax in and I end up not even able to hear. I also have had no luck with ear candling and won't try that again.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can use to break up ear wax and not impact my hearing.

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 23rd, 2006
I somewhat had this problem around last year. My question is are you using headphones?

If you are I suggest using them less becuase I was reading around and it turns out that earphones / headsets increase ear wax buildup.
|

replied May 21st, 2008
Holey Ear Drums with excessive wax build up
I am currently 17 years old. I had approximately 9 tympanoplasties. When I was about 2 years of age both of my ear drums ruptured. I have had no success with the tympanoplasties. I recently found out that my eustachian tubes are nearly closed off. I have and still do, an extreme case of chronic ear wax build up. I have not used head phones for the better part of 3 years. I cannot use the "ear candling" method, nor the "peroxide" method. Does anyone know of a procedure I can do, without have to get a eustachian tubectomy?
|

replied May 21st, 2008
If you go to the pharmacy there are liquids drops you put in your ears for about 5 minutes and it 'melts' the wax. I think fill a bath tub and slip my head under the water and wiggle my ears and pull at my ear lobes to help put water through my ears and wash the stuff out!
|

replied May 21st, 2008
Experienced User
Yes, there are oils, lubricants, etc to break down the ear wax. My son has allergies and always produced a lot of ear wax. So, if you have allergies, that could be the reason for the excess ear wax.
|
Quick Reply