Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Can't Go to School

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Has anyone experienced this anxiety before?

I took some excedrin tension headache medicine a few weeks ago...Turned out I took like 3 times what I was supposed to take and there was alot of caffine in it,..It sent me over the e dge and I had a pretty bad panic attack in about 2 or 3 of my classes and pretty much completley worrying and anxious for the whole day which I just got up and left school which were' of course not allowed to do.

Ever since then i've had anxiety..About having the anxiety , and I haven't been at school for about a week , I really need to go and I want to graduate but I just worry im gonna have terrible panic and de-realization there I can't handle.

I went to a psycho last week great guy he perscribed me xanax klonopin and effexor...Any suggestions? Please im in need of some help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pinksalter
|

replied February 28th, 2006
Experienced User
I had the same kind of thing and I couldn't go to school for a while...
When i'm in school i'm constantly shaking and sweating and feel like I can't breathe...And my hands are completely cold.
I come home every day feeling like i'm dieing and can't do anything till the next day.
Now i've also got the pressure of catching up on the 4 months of work i've missed and seeing everyone else happy and excited about graduating makes me even more worried and unhappy.
In your case i'd should talk to someone about it...
Maybe the worrying about the medicine released some worries that you'd had building up for a while rather than actualy causing the anxiety itself?
|

replied March 1st, 2006
Experienced User
Hi,

it sounds like you have built up a fear of going to school incase the same thing happens again. I think the medicine you took maybe made you feel a bit funny but the realisation of taking too much has made you panic even more. The only problem with avoiding school is that it is going to make your anxiety worse and you may start to get agrophobic. Anxiety is so much to do with your thoughts and subconscious mind that you won`t even realise your thinking that way.

I didn`t want to go out for fear of a panic attack but I made myself do it, it was tough and may only have stayed out for a couple of minutes at first but I gradually built it up. Your mind has learnt this new behaviour of fearing the school situation but it can be changed so don`t worry that you`ll feel this way forever. I think it would really help talking to someone, its amazing what another persons advice can do to help. Like you I got really bad derealisation and depersonalisation, the important thing to remember is it can`t hurt you in anyway and once your anxiety goes down so will it.

Good luck I know its not easy, i`ve been there but you can get better!

Debs
|

replied March 6th, 2006
I understand what you mean. But my experience was kind of different to yours. I wasnt afraid to actually go to school, only if I had to talk, or do drama or a presentation. Otherwise I would be ok. But the nerves would make me feel sick, like I was actually ill so physically I felt like I couldn't go in or cope. I think the thing to do is force yourself to go in, because as soon as you start to avoid it, you're mind only makes it worse. I made the mistake of trying to hide from situations that made me have a panic attack, and now my problems are 100 times worse because I just can't get back into those situations.
|

replied April 13th, 2009
anxiety sucks
i had the same thang and it caused me to completely freeze in life and in school but then i learned that the more i gave in to the fear and fear of another attack the less i could do soo i just had to psych my self outand say this isnt going to beat me and get super stubborn and say Gods going to get me threw this and the attacks still came but i could feel them comeing on and i would just brace myself breath and talk myself down and tell myself ull make it u always do and guess what i did and it just got easyer every time now i still have them but it doable instead of it takeing me out for weeks its just a few minutes dont let the pannic attack punk u it will rule u if u let just dont let it lifes to short and theres so many awesome things in life to enjoy
|

replied September 3rd, 2009
i feel all you guys
i get the same thing, except my panic attack is all about facial tension. its almost become part of me every time i go to school. i subconciously trigger this frown look on my face since it has happened so much. i want to get over it, but it always happens in class. even though i want to believe otherwise, i always feel people's eyes on me. especially when im not sitting in the back of the class. my subconscience then just starts thinking that they think im really weird looking.
my problem is really odd. i either have this extreme muscle tension in my jaw area, or around my eyes which makes me look like im crying.
this symptom has almost become part of me, because no matter how hard i try to just be happy, i always start to fret about my face eventually. there is one certain class i have it the most extreme- its probably a panic attack. all i can possible concentrate on is my face and what is happening to it. (its like a really bad injury- all you can concentrate on is the pain) i try to think of happy things, but i cant.
I really want to just love everyone and be nice to everyone. i want to make friends and have a normal high school life. inside, i believe i am a nice person, but when i look in the mirror at school, i look like a depressed creepy looking freak. im not going to lie.
people even look at me with sad, almost disturbed looks. i hate my school life right now.
|

replied April 22nd, 2012
I know this was 3 years ago but i actually cant believe i have found someone who has EXACTLY the same problem as me. I'm in my last year at school and its one of the worst years yet, especially because i have exams and i'm missing 2 or 3 days a week at school. I also get this weird jumping thing where i tense up so much then i jump at everything. I know i only have 6 weeks left until i'm free but it's just so hard. I'm not even going to college because i'm that afraid of the education enviroment and the people.
|

replied March 6th, 2010
I am experiencing anxiety
I'm a 12 year old girl and I am experiencencing anxiety and i had it in primary school and now in high school and now its getting serious beacuse i'm not going to school and its getting the whole family and me upset i was going in to the school for an hour in this room by myself but i cant do that anymore i just get so upset about being myself but when i say that they say then go in to one of your classes but i cant do that they be really mean to me sometimes and i feel like i'm going to cry but i dont want to cry beacuse i wanted to be brave for my family and i found it easier in primary school to get back in beacuse you where in the same class all day but now in high school you go about the school and when my mum was upset and angry one day about me not going to the school for that hour she said the school are going to take my away and put me in a bording school for people who skive school and i was crying all nigh after that and i had a little panic attak that night but i delt with it myself beacuse i diddent want to go near my mum or dad but my mum said sorry and said she was a bit angry and diddent know what she was saying and i feel that they only care about how my family are feeling and not caring how i feel i cant enjoy myself or anything i just want this to all be a dream just wakr up one morning and be a girl who goes to school just like anyone else.
I dont like to talk to people about it but i'm not going to get anywhere if i dont talk to people who are going to help me but i am just so scared and i dont know what to do and when i just wrote what happend i couldent stop myself from crying and please dont feel sorry for me or suggest thing that might help beacuse where i am now nothing can help and i just dont know what to do now does anyone have any tips on how to talk to my parent and people who are trying to help please your my last hope on explaning to everyone about how i am feeling about them being mean to me some of the time
|

replied October 17th, 2010
panic attacks...ugh
oh man im in the same situation....it feels like everytime i get a panic attack its different or feels stronger than the last...i guess what triggers mine is worrying about it happening again, and worring about dying, and wow i have a lot of reasons. i can relate to all of you and dont feel alone or sad. i found that talking to people helps a lot. its worse when ur alone with this. i tell my teachers about my problem and yes some of my frineds to. those that ive told dont think any less of me, they actually help men, but i guess- this is one possibility ive rendered- is that im afraid of what others think of me when i go through this. im going to a psycho this week or next to see what helps. oh and dont do drugs cuz that jsut makes it worse. i mean do take prescribed drugs that docs give u but not illegal or just to get high... trust me
|

replied July 13th, 2011
I want to start college in the fall, but I went to go visit the school, and I don't know if I actually want to sign up.

I have terrible anxiety, and I am very clostophobic and do not like being confined to a room, without the ability to leave whenever I want. I also don't like when the teacher asks me questions, incase I don't know them, I don't want to seem stupid.
|

replied July 20th, 2011
wow, i hope everyone who goes threw that gets better cuz i kinda had that too but it kinda went away but however can anyone help me for any kind of good treatment i could take, because i feel dizzy and lightheaded 24/7 and like im sleeping or like if im not even really living and when i go to stores its like idk the brightness or what? like i hate this and im about to start school again, so can anyone help? if so let me know ASAP, thanks
|