Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Delay Period By One Week? Decreased Effectiveness?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I have a long distance boyfriend who I only see occassionally, and I want to be able to delay my period by one week (not skip it entirely). I am currently on lo-ovral (it's the same pill for 28 days). Can I skip the 'sugar pills,' take the first week of a new pack, then take the sugar pills the following week, and then 'start over' on a brand new pack? I am not particularly worried about spotting, but I am concerned about lowering the effectiveness of the pill (we do have unprotected sex).

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 28th, 2006
Experienced User
Don't worry about it decreasing the effectiveness of your pills, because it won't. Do exactly what you said in your post and you will be just fine. Trust me, i've done this a few times myself and had no problems with it. When you take the sugar pills, there are no added hormones in your system, thus allowing you to menstruate. The regular pills keep a constant hormone level, preventing ovulation/implantation.
|
Did you find this post helpful?