Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Swelling From Gout

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
I have had several attacks of gout over the years. Most recently, I had it in my left ankle. The pain has mostly gone away, but the swelling has persisted for several weeks now. Is there any effective way to reduce the swelling, or do I just have to put up with it until if naturally goes away.? Any info appreciated. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 26th, 2006
The swelling is usually the first thing to go when I start on indocin, then the pain....But I haven't had it in my ankle...Just my great left toe. Sorry I couldn't help much.
|

replied February 27th, 2006
Experienced User
Here is my old post.
Posted: 11-15-05 12:35am.

A bad gout attack can destroy a lot of tissues and body fluids -- that's why it's so painful. Depending on how bad was the attack, it may take weeks or months to clear these fallen heroes out of the battle fields. Here are a few things that can help:

1) use the attacked joints as little as possible.
2) soak the swollen joints in warm/hot water for 10~20 minutes at a time and gently rub the playdough-like substance to break it off. Do this a few times a day.
3) raise the attack sites high above the heart level as long and as often as possible to help drain the fluids, especially after the soaking.

After the gout attacks, the mono-sodium urate (msu) crystals which cause gout attacks are coated by certain proteins and will stay in the joint forever, unless you lower your blood uric acid level to 6 mg/dl or lower. Allopurinol doesn't help reduce the swelling. But it can reduce the blood uric acid level and slowly dissolve the msu crystals (tophi). Initial gout attacks along are unlikely to cause permanent damages. But if left untreated, the build-up of tophi over years or decades can erode the bones... More gout info can be found at http://www.Icuredmygout.Org . Good luck.
|

replied February 28th, 2006
Natural Approach to Stop Pain And Reduce Swells
Appropriate herb like wild lingzhi (not cultivated) is very effective for building up body system and adjusting metabolic disorder.
|

Thanks For Addnl Info
Thanks to you both for the additional response. I tried the geocities website and got "sorry the page you requested could not be found" .... Could it be miscopied?
|

Cannot View
Type the address heading and search probably you can find. If not send me an emai.
|

replied October 31st, 2010
CHERRIES
I get 1 or 2 attacks a year right after I eat (stupidly) anything with black lentils in it. I counter it with fresh cherries or cherry juice (pure) this has the amazing effect of clearing it up pretty fast-try it, it sure can't hurt. I know it sounds crazy-but anyone who has tried it found that it works-but yo got to give it a couple of days
|

replied October 31st, 2010
I get 1 or 2 attacks a year right after I eat (stupidly) anything with black lentils in it. I counter it with fresh cherries or cherry juice (pure) this has the amazing effect of clearing it up pretty fast-try it, it sure can't hurt. I know it sounds crazy-but anyone who has tried it found that it works-but yo got to give it a couple of days
|

replied February 9th, 2011
I am wondering how many of the Gout victims were in Viet Nam during Agent Orange period? My husband just went through a terrible episode with gout in his ankle. He served in Viet Nam and was sprayed with Agent Orange. He developed diabetes II, neuropathy in his legs and arms and has hearing loss from the bombs exploding around him. I wonder if the exposure to Agent Orange can cause Gout. Does anyone know?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2011
Hi dennish, I think it is always a good idea to be prepared if you get regular gout attacks especially if the symptoms persist over longer and longer periods. Surely you would have done some research on what is triggering your attacks and made the necessary life style changes. But you also need to treat the attack as quickly as possible when they happen to minimize damage to tissues and joints. See your doctor for a prescription for an anti-inflammatory medication to keep by your side always. It also might be a good idea to discuss the fact that the swelling is lasting so much longer now.
|