Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

Break Out After Tanning... Please Help!

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I have been tanning for roughly a month now. Two weeks ago, I started using lotion with no problems. Well, four days ago, I used the lotion and tanned for 15 minutes. I then went an worked out. After lifting, I took off my shirt and my chest was covered in what looked like pimples. I assumed it was due to the lotion initially. I was then informed that working out immediately after tanning is not the smartest thing to do because the sweat combined with the lotion/tan can clog your pores.

I immediately threw away the lotion and bought some anti-itch, rash stuff. The next day, 50% of the bumps were gone and so was the redness. The next day, almost all of them were gone. So I went an tanned tonight after my workout without using the lotion, and I had an ever worse breakout. Now my chest is even more covered, a few popped up on my stomach, back, neck, arms, shoulders and ass. My traps are covered as well. I immediately showered with soap and treated the infected area with the anti-itch cream. Hopefully the breakout will subside again.

Again, i'm not quite sure if these are pimples or what. They are little bumps randomly spread out. After the break out, most of the bumps were red like pimples. After showering and applying the cream, the bumps are now tan like my skin, but clearly visible. They itch slightly, but not too bad. Does anyone know exactly what the breakout is? Also, what is the main cause of it? Obviously I am going to stop tanning for the time being. Should I stop tanning permantely? Any help is appreciated. I'm a 19/m.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 28th, 2006
Reechards
Hi there!! :)

i think its pimples because sometimes when im putting some lotion or oil in my chest or in my back there this little spots of red growing on my back and on my chest. What I did was check on this website and tried thier product, I knew the site because of my friends, I tried it and boom!!! :) it did subside and slowly it was all gone, if you have time try to check it out: edit

nicole garcia
|

replied March 30th, 2010
shower after your workout and scrub- it helps open your pores. Then go tanning. It should help. Even if you work out and then Tan your body is still sweaty and has cloged poors. You want to open up the poors before you tan.

Could also- if it keeps happening be a reaction to the Tanning beds. Not everyones skin likes it...some people are allergic to the sun- maybe you are slightly and the bed is just making it pop out.
|

replied April 12th, 2010
im not sure if this is the same for everyone, but tanning can cause acne in the long run.
|

replied April 18th, 2010
i had the same problem, but only on my chest, but little red bumbs scattered all over my chest! i do believe it was from tanning bed, only tanned for like three sessions, and last summer i dont remember having this problem, im starting to believe my skin has gotten xtra sensitive ever since turning thirty! ive been using sarna lotion for about three days.. no relief yet! i see it as well as long as the breakout is not on my face! however i always cover my face in the bed anyways! Thank god for that move! let me know if there are otc remedy for this .. seeing that i cannot afford dermatologyattention
|

replied September 23rd, 2011
Sounds more like hives to me if they are gone the next day..not acne. Acne takes alot longer to dissapear..plus you said they itch. Maybe you are developing some new allergies to something you were accustomed to before.
|

replied March 6th, 2012
sept0702
I have tumid Lupus and skin disorder and of course my doctor told me not to tan bc they don't like it anyway, but I did anyway and wow I sure wish I would have listened to them because I suffered itching all night after every session so I just gave up tanning, She also told me I couldn't be in the sun unless I had the strongest SPF on. All those little bumps your talking about is the same thing that is all over me after I get out of the tanning bed everytime with or without lotion, and they even wipe my bed down with reg water thinking it was the sanatizer
|

replied June 1st, 2012
Similar Problem
When I am out in the sun too long I get little bumps on my shoulders and back as well... I also thought they were acne or my skin reacting from too much sun exposure... Though I am not sure either./: though mine do not itch... Jst feel like they are warm... Not so much burning like a regular rash or anything... =(
|

replied July 11th, 2014
Itchy Rash After Tanning...
There is a difference in rashes. For example: Someone here mentioned they got tiny red bumps after only 3 sessions? That sounds more like heat rash. There is another term for it. If you gradually increase your time in the T bed as recommended by the manufacturer, noting everyone has a different skin type & some should not tan indoors or out at all, you probably won't get the rash. I know both because of being guilty of wanting to see immediate results & pushing it & being a tanning salon owner for 6 years.
|