Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Pap Smear Detect Stds?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Can a pap smear detect stds? I had both a pap smear and blood taken, but the pap smear came back clear. Could that mean that i'm clear of stds too?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 24th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
It may be different in other countries but smears here do not check for std's. You need to get specifically tested for them
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2006
Experienced User
Sorry I Have to Agree With Moo
:( they are suppose to check you for them every 6 months but you have to tell them. They check for abnormal cells and cervical cancer and stuff like that. Make sure you ask them always know your status honey and use protection even in the heat the moment. Trust me it ain't worth it cuz females don't always get symptoms you can have it for 4 months and not know then you might not be able to have kids :-( be careful n hope I helped.
|

replied February 25th, 2006
Experienced User
S'ok :)
I had blood drawn to test me for just about every std there is lol, so it's fine.
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2006
Experienced User
Re: S'ok :)
littlemisstery wrote:
i had blood drawn to test me for just about every std there is lol, so it's fine.

im proud of you girl do tha d*** thang. Its hard but you be ok no matter what's the results are.Better safe than sorry boo.
|

Extremely eHealthy
It would find the abnormal cells from .H.P.V and if untreated the cells of the cervix will change also with clymidia.(sp)

but first they find the abnormal cells then test to see what those cells are from. This is how my daughter found she had .H.P.V. She has never had a wart from hers. And it can also tell them if the .H.P.V is inactive when they do the pap smear.

But there are many other std's that have to be cultured, and or blood drawn for them.

You need to get yourself checked periodically---especially if you have many partners, engage in any high risk situations, if you use or share needles, or have sex with anyone who does, and if you have sex without condoms, or you find your partner has not been "truly faithful" to you. And if you cannot answer any of these questions with a definative no, get checked again.

Make sure you are safe. They even have meds now to halt the progression of the hiv virus. So knowing is much better than the alternative--right?
|

Experienced User
I agree. I figure it's better to at least get checked if i'm worried to make sure that everything's ok rather than freaking out over it for who knows how long.
|

replied February 9th, 2012
stds
im freaking out about the same thing, ive noticed lately that i've been kind of sore down there and when i do get horny, i get like a pulseing sensation, im really scared to get checked for any stds , but any guy ive been with said they are all clean, im scared to get checked because with my luck i probably do have something .
|
Quick Reply