Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Cleaning

Okay gang I know this may sound daft , but u know the plastic splints u wear in yourmouth at nite etc , wats the best way ?How should u clean them?? Ive been told different things by diferent dentists etc, diswashin liquid/ just water etc.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 24th, 2006
Supporter
I use two methods - one, just brush with toothbrush and toothpaste like you would your teeth only a little harder, and the other is to soak it in something like polident for several hours and then brush it afterwards.

Hope that helps,
carol
|

replied February 25th, 2006
Cleaning
Hiya

thanks for that, do u have a soft or hard splint I have a soft one ( does that make a difference re cleaning it with polident etc??)
|

replied February 25th, 2006
Supporter
I currently have a hard one, but have had both kinds. You can still use the polident method, just don't soak as long. The brushing part is still very important.
|

replied February 26th, 2006
Cleaning
Thanks for that ,
wish I could use a hard one it would sure last a lot longer than these soft ones. Daft thing is even re soft splints different dentists use different types of plastic.
|

replied February 27th, 2006
Cleaning
Was stunned when the dentist told me to just rinse it under the tap??????????????????
|

Supporter
Eeeewwwww, icko.

Is the soft bite splint helping you with pain? My soft splints were always used just for waiting until the hard ones were ready. I really liked this one soft splint a while back, but I have heard that if you wear them too long, they become like a chew toy in your mouth. I didn't get to that point. This last one that I have is not the hardest acrylic i've ever had. It's got some softness in it, but I don't know how or why. I guess I could ask what it is made from when I see him next week. I've always had a problem with bottom bite splints. They were so uncomfortable and I assumed it was because my lower jaw is small and the splint so big and clunky, but this last one is great. It's the first bottom one made by this tmj dentist, so I guess it really does make a difference who makes your splints. I could wear this almost all the time if I wanted to, but I only do when sleeping.

Talked too much. Hope you are doing well with a clean bite splint.

Carol
|

Cleaning
Well the new splints I got are rubbery , (not like the soft splint I got before) tried a hard splint n just cant wear em. Unfortunately bein a carer on 240.00 per weeek I dont have a choice who makes my splint.
Sighh.
|

replied March 25th, 2006
Cleaning
Some wear top splints others wear bottom splints is there a difference??
|

replied March 25th, 2006
Supporter
Not really. It seems to be more what the dentist makes or prefers but until this last bottom splint, I hated bottom ones. They were too big and bulky for my small jaw. This current one just basically covers my teeth without the bulk. My tongue and mouth like it better and it works great.

But it may be the bulkiness of the splint or lack of bulkiness that I like so much. It's seems to be doing what it's suppose to and my symptoms and pain have greatly reduced (i've made other changes too though).

So, whatever you feel the most comfortable with that works is how I would determine what kind you wear. :)

take care and god bless...
Carol
|
Quick Reply