Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Links Btwn Migraines, Seizuress & Bipolar Disorder

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Is there any medical reasoning that suggest that there is linkage between seizures, migraines and bipolar disorder?

I've had migraines since childhood. After hs grad, I was involved in a car accident and suffered head tramma. Shortly after I was diagnosed with seizures. I've taken tegratol, phenobarbitol, dilanton, deprakote, klonapin [singular and every different combination possible], to try to get control of seizure control. Currently, i'm taking felbatol and keppra, which for the most, seems to to the best control i've had.

The side effect of these different med's go from headache and nausea to depression, etc.

The reason for my asking this question is my mil, who is a retired pediatric nurse, insist that I am and have always been pneunamic depressant or bipolar. I have stood my ground to say this is not true - the side effects of these different meds may have made it look like I was suffering from bipolar; but, that's the meds - not me!

Is there any linkage between migraines, seizures and bipolar?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 24th, 2010
It is impossible for one that has med. to heavy epileptic sezures to become Bipolar,... because the "shock treatments" are built in. When the stress builds up the sezure comes and stress is gone for a while.
Back when it was legal to shut physicly handicapped relitives away, it was noticed the epileptics never became Bipolar (or 3 other condistions). So the Shock Treatment was invented to help others.
|

replied May 24th, 2010
It is impossible for one that has med. to heavy epileptic sezures to become Bipolar,... because the "shock treatments" are built in. When the stress builds up the sezure comes and stress is gone for a while.
Back when it was legal to shut physicly handicapped relitives away, it was noticed the epileptics never became Bipolar (or 3 other condistions). So the Shock Treatment was invented to help others.
|

replied June 2nd, 2010
lestie, That is not true. I am bipolar 1, very rapid cycling,and I also have epilepsy. Apparently my body's self administered shock treatments aren't very effective, because both disorders are very treatment resistant and hard to manage.
|

replied June 4th, 2010
Truth
Bipolar is a physically inheared, permanent, condition. It causes the brain to be unable to assurb the nutrition it needs. A doctor decades ago discovered this and made a very potent vitamin combo; that made all people that took it normal again, as long as they took it everyday. Did your parent(s) have Bipolar and your granparents,...?
Drug companies could not make money with truth. So they made theirs thay rarely works, but they get tons of money.
There are psycological condition(s) with the same symtoms - Boarderline Personality Disorder. And one can even be cured of this with psychiatry help. (Some children will become like their parents, but all will heal with help.)
Too many doctors today like to lable a patient with the Bipolar so they can get money from the drug companies or are just not caring about the person.
How long did it take for a doctor to lable you? It takes a minimim of six months to correcrly diagnosis a person of these.
Even Dr. Phil has stated that "It takes a minimim of Six Months to diagnosis the symtoms of Bipolar ...."
|

replied June 7th, 2011
Correlation between bi-polar disorder,seizures & migraines?
To Shortie1825:
I am NOT an expert or a DR,but I am bi-polar & have suffered from migraines for years;in addition I have experienced several episodes that we now believe to be seizures. When I passed out & hit my head a few months ago,it was at least partly because I was currently OFF medication* I had been taking for a year.
But throughout my life I had other similar episodes.

(*Neurontin,prescribed for post-herpetic neuralgia I've had as a result of shingles. But it's also an anti-convulsant used to treat seizures.) When I was off this medicine I had a really bad seizure,hit my head & had a concussion. I've been researching this & believe there is a correlation between the 3 conditions. Seizures,migraines & bi-polar are all problems stemming from irregular brain activity.
This is NOT a vitamin deficiency! Good nutrition is important,obviously--but is not the cause of your condition.
Personally, I am an excellent chef who eats VERY well;I rarely eat out,don't consume processed food,never fast food,etc.I also take natural supplements like fish oil--and I am suffering from all 3 issues.
I have always known that I was bi polar,but have only recently been officially diagnosed--no "evil" DR labeled me;I went to a psychiatrist because I was tired of trying to cope with my dramatic mood swings all the time,& knew I needed help.
No one has forced any treatment or drugs on me.
|