Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Will Consuming Too Much Fruit Make You Fat? (Page 1)

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
I'm just wondering, would consuming a lot of fruit make you fat? And if so, how much is "too much?"
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Mikolas
|

replied February 23rd, 2006
Someone please helps? :[
|

replied March 27th, 2006
Too Much Friut Will Not Make You Fat...
So I understand your questions because I tend to eat alot of fruit...Especially at nighttime and im always wondering if too much of a good thing can be bad for you.....Its been my experience that too much fruit can not make you fat, per say, but too much of anything can be detrimental.......I believe fat can make you fat......If all your eating is fruit, your not going to get fat.
Try putting your fruit in the freezer, it will help you to eat it slower, perhaps consuming less of it.
|

replied April 7th, 2006
goa wrote:
someone please helps? :[

this is what i've learned from my doctor: it is the sugar content that is more questionable in fruit than fat. Diets that are low carb, such as atkins, recommend limited intake of sugar and carb-laden foods, such as fruit. However, the sugar in fruit is natural and not refined or added. You would have to eat a ton of fruit for it to make you overweight.
|

replied February 3rd, 2012
Sugar in Fruit is still Sugar
Sugar is Sugar, and when your insulin levels are raised you store fat. If you are trying to loose or maintain weight, no more than one serving a day, also make sure that one serving is low glycemic.
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
It does depend on how much and what kind. Too much can also give you the runners too, like the poster said above too much of anything is not great, or something like that.
I remember being pregnant and I craved grapes and I constantly ate them, I kept on gaining a lot of weight and my my dr asked me what I have been craving, so I told him, grapes, and he told me to stop as they are very fattening.
Good luck!
|

replied April 10th, 2006
Grapes
Did someone just say grpaes make you fat.....???? Is this true????
|

replied June 8th, 2006
Ehhh
How in the world are grapes fattening? Lol
|

replied June 8th, 2006
Eating Fruits And Keeping My Figure
The thing with eating fruits will make you fat is half true, half false. Everything depends on how much you eat and what kind of fruits. It is well known the fact that some fruits are a disaster for the silhuette and other can really help you in keeping an organised diet. According to a diet I came across on an internet resource, http://www.Aboutzonediet.Org/ , you have to avoid bananas and dried fruits, but not because they are fat, but because of the quantity of sugar contained by them. The diet I was mentioning about is very famous those days and teach you to divide your platewith food in zones. I am really excited about it and i'm thinking to start one too.
|

replied September 15th, 2008
Fruit is high in natural sugars but also fiber, it is important to eat fruit daily. That being said, too much of anything is not a good thing. Also if you are prone to issues with yeast overgrowth (google Candida), fruit will make the problem worse and make it very difficult to lose weight.
2-3 servings of fruit a day are maximum. You can eat pretty much endless veggies though as long as they are not starchy (ie corn, potatoes, peas etc).
|

replied March 20th, 2009
Yes
Fruits, especially those with a high glucose content, will cause a drastic insulin spike. Grapes and overripe bananas would be some examples of this. The insulin spike from simple sugars is the cause of fat storage, so yes eating too much fruit will make you gain fat. However, do not take fruits out of your diet completely since they are high in both fiber and vitamins. Eat 3-5 servings a day. As for the insulin spikes, get low GI foods, which are almost always 100% whole wheat. Don't be decieved in grocery stores by wheat bread, look for 100% whole ground wheat bread instead. The fiber helps slow digestion and insulin spikes, and since the foods aren't starchy they will help prevent diabetes of your family is prone to it.
|

replied March 20th, 2009
Also
My bad forgot to mention that it's not only high glucose fruits. The liver has dibs on fructose, so although they might not have the same insulin spiking abilities, the leftovers are easily converted into triglycerides (fat). So beware of anything high in sugar, as it will make you fat! Some more than others depending on body types and metabolism rates (male vs. female, ectomorphs vs. endomorphs)... Again I repeat, eat fruits, but excess of anything is bad.
|

replied May 19th, 2009
It should allow you to LOSE weight
When I realized that I was beginning to gain a little bit of weight after finishing college, I looked some ways to eat better and lose weight without any strenuous exercise. I found that consuming acai is the best way.

I make acai puree smoothies each morning. With this I have been able to lose about 10 pounds in a month and become much more energetic throughout the day. I combine a variety of fruits, orange juice, and acai puree in my smoothie.

|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
I can confirm that some of what lilaznalien says is true, though I'm not sure how much a role insulin plays into this.

First, keep in mind that the type of sugar contained within these fruits, is known as fructose, which is a simple sugar. Simple sugars are instantly absorbed, converted and ready to be used as energy. A sudden increase in simple sugars does indeed cause an insulin spike (which is a Sugar [not Fat] storage hormone). The purpose of insulin is for your body to regulate the blood sugar concentration.

During this spike, what occurs is that the simple sugars are taken away from the blood stream and stored in the liver/muscle/fat tissue in the form of glycogen (another type of sugar used for quick bursts of energy during activities such as heavy lifting). This also results in your body temporarily halting the use of fat as an energy source.

So what this means is that almost all your sugar levels have been suddenly depleted (since its been all shipped and stored), and your body stopped using fat as an energy source.

But going back to the main topic, whats so bad about the simple sugars getting converted into glycogen? Because glycogen is a limited fuel source, our body only keeps a very small amount of it.

So lets say you had a nice good breakfast, cereal (which is probably simple sugars), with milk (lactose, another simple sugar) and some fruits (fructose, more simple sugars).

Let us say you get this insulin spike as a result, and the sugars are converted into glycogen and stored.

You eat your other meals per day, which may result in more sugar storage, or perhaps a low enough level that the sugars are kept around and being used to some extent as you are doing your work out, your walking around, your other activities. Not to mention the fat in the food you probably consumed is also around.

So what happened at the end of the day? You probably, being the average American (not saying you are necessarily fat, but just because we don't have many food choices that are low in calories anymore), haven't done enough physical activity to compensate for what you consumed, much less those that were stored.

If you didn't consume enough of the simple sugars within your day, the glycogen will not convert back to simple sugar and instead will be converted into an unlimited storage source (unlike glycogen), fat.

In conclusion, if you eat too much fruits, you can gain weight as a result of fat that were deposited because your body had to do something with the sugar concentration that weren't being used.

Therefore, if you are somebody who consumes a lot of fruits, be sure to either limit your fruit intake, or stay active in order to lower your blood sugar level and make use of as much of your extra glycogen as possible, or try to balance out your sugary meals a bit more apart from one another so that you don't get as many insulin spikes.

I hope this information will be of use to you.

P.S.
Fun Fact:
By the way, this insulin spike when eating too much sugary stuff, is why some people experience a sudden weakening in energy or what is known as an energy crash because the insulin removed most of your usable sugar for energy.
Fun Fact 2:
Since insulin is a storage hormone that regulars blood sugar levels, this is why insulin is used medically to treat Type I diabetes (those with a problem to have too much blood sugar concentration).
Fun Fact 3: I'm really sleepy.
|
Users who thank Mikolas for this post: thomace 

replied September 22nd, 2009
Calories make you fat
Fat doesnt

Just say mine and your body needed 1800 cals to power itself
If i was to eat 1800 in junk food
And you were to eat 2500 in fruit you would gain weight not me

And also never eat fruit after a heavy carb meal as the fructose will combine with the carbs adding to body fat
|

replied October 11th, 2009
Lol this is really interesting. I eat about seven to ten servings of fruit a day and I haven't gained any weight! In fact its the exact opposite, and my metabolisms VERY slow. I think the only way you can get fat on fruits is If you indulge in other fatty foods, don't blame the grapes! They're high in fiber and a great alternative to a lot of other junk. Lay off the bread and those giant steak dinners, thats whats causing the weight to stick.
|

replied October 30th, 2009
I don't think it will make you fat, but too much sugar is never a good thing. As least that is what I was told by a holistic doctor. However, eating a lot of fruit is still healthier than people who eat junkfood.
|

replied November 2nd, 2009
Eating fruits does'n make you fat but won't help you lose weight either if you do not eat the right ones. Whole fruits can be very sweet, low sweet and non sweet.

Our body transforms the fructose from the whole fruit in energy in minutes from the insertion. To lose weight you have to eat fruits with very low or non energy. Also GI fruit/vegetable list may help you on that.
Also you have to know what is a fruit. Did you know that tomato, cucumber, zucchini, buckwheat,etc is a fruit?

It is a lot of misleading and misinformation upthere about insulin and eating fruits. For digesting of starch and white sugar is when insulin comes in.

Fruits do not request digestion. You may get some reading on that.

Im a fruit eater myself. I have sweet fruits for breakfast, low for lunch, and non sweet for diner with green salad. I do my own almond milk.
And I dont drink water.
|

replied July 19th, 2010
A few facts:

1) You can lose very little weight through exercise
2) You can only gain weight when insulin is being produced
3) If you ate 1800 calories of junk food, you would gain more weight than the person who ate 2500 calories of fruit (insulin would spike more with the junk food eater)
4) If you want to lose weight, you must keep your insulin levels low so that your body can get glucose from the breakdown of fats and proteins
5) People are not obese because they eat too much and exercise too little; people are obese because they keep their blood sugar (and insulin) levels elevated. This is the formula for fat deposition.
|

replied July 20th, 2010
Re: Mikolas & Living250
Wow! Lot's of input, but what are your sources?

Mikolas- After taking Anatomy, Physiology & Microbiology & multiple Chemistry classes, I most agree with your input.

Living250- Fruits absolutely aid in digestion. Is that what you meant by "require'? Have you ever heard of cellulose? Also, you should look up the Kreb's cycle, cellular respiration.
Also, stating you "don't drink water" on a health website is ridiculous. Any trust in your information is squashed...

Source-AS Biology.
|

replied July 29th, 2010
wrong wrong wrong. all of you are simply retarded. stop spreading misinformation. if you dont know the answer to something keep your trap shut.
|
12 >>
Tags: Nutrition
Quick Reply