Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Laminectomy Surgery

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I was wondering if anybody knew much about this procedure? Im 21 with spinal stenosis and have had it I was just wondering what I can do after the surgery lift weights, exercise etc. I deliver beer for a living which is a lot of lifting would I be able to continue with that as well???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 20th, 2006
You should follow your doc's or pt's recommendations about the physical workout's but don't let your body dwindle. At least get a squeezy ball, you'll be suprised at how much it will strenghten your hand and arm's. Which level did you have surgery? Steevo
|

replied February 20th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
After your first follow up appt, post surgery, that is when the doc will prescibe pt. Until that point, you should not do any pt unless it is something like what steevo said, squeez ball or those sping handle things that work your arms only.

Laminectomy and other spinal surgery procedures are hard enough to get right witout adding complications, do only what the doc said you can do and nothing more! You are really young to have had a laminectomy, so you can either have a really long time in pain or maybe be fixed.

If you ever have questions about something that you are unsure of, you should contact your doc's office asap.

Good luck,
brian
|

replied February 21st, 2006
Thanks
Thanks for the advice guys but I havent had the op yet I was just wondering the limitations I will have if I do get it because I know im really young.
|

replied February 21st, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
If you are having something like a micro-discectomy or mini-laminectomy, there will be some limitations at first but as you get stronger, there are normally not too many limits.

If you are having full laminectomy with fixation hardware (fusion), then yes you will have limitations for the rest of your life.

If you have the option of having artificial disc replacement, it is a better alternative simply because after healing, you are not limited to anything but yourself. As long as the procedure is perfect.

Mine went excellent but it did not fix all of the problems and so I am still disabled and need more work done.

Good luck and let us know which way you go.
Brian
|