Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Intense Deja-vu Anxiety (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
For some reason every once in a while I am usually just sitting somewhere and out of nowhere I get a very intense feeling of deja-vu, but its a little different. It's like deja-vu, except intense, and I feel this almost like ripping kind of drain on my body and I start to worry like ive done that before and when I did it turned out horribly...Which is what really bothers me is because it can get so bad that I have to get up and go walking around and totally leave sometimes the house to go outside before I can calm down. Is this something to worry about or am I just being a wuss here, I ask because ive had deja vu before but its never literally worried me, or had a physical affect, or bothered me so much that I have to leave and change scenery, or lasted for that long because when this happens its usually a good minute or two, even though it seems like longer so im not real sure how long it actually is. Confused

Anything would really be appreciated, thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SincerelyRyan
|

replied September 29th, 2003
I'm had a similiar feeling myself. Especially when I take medication like claritin. I'll walk by the medication and think....Did I take this already today? Then I take it and have a panic attack, thinking i'm gonna od because I could of swore I already took one earilier in the day. It makes me pace and shake while my heart races a bit. Takes me a bit to calm myself down. I think i'm just over reacting. Maybe it is normal. I mean I don't see anything wrong with changing scenery if yer stressed out about something to calm yerself down. But if it does happen too often then I would ask a doctor and see what he/she says.
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2011
I have these dreams, and the only way i can describe them is like a video-game. It sounds odd, I know, but there is no other explanation to me. While I'm dreaming, and I try to wake up, I freak out really badly, and I start breathing-heavily, almost like something doesn't want me to get out of bed... When I am awake and want to remember what made me panic so bad, it happens again and it's worse.

((I don't know how to stop this, and I can't take any medications until at least September due to pregnancy,
Any tips or what-not that can help me actually get out of bed in the morning?))
|

replied October 20th, 2011
It sounds like you have sleep paralysis, which is scary but totally harmless. Basically, there is a nerve that "shuts off" when you are dreaming to prevent you from moving and trying to act out what you are dreaming, because you could injure yourself. It's supposed to turn back on as soon as you wake up, but in some people, the nerve stays turned off for a few seconds after you have started to wake up. People often have nightmarish dreams while this is happening and feel like something is holding them down, sitting on their chest, or that there are people or "beings" standing around them. There's nothing you can do about it besides wait it out - it mostly happens in younger women and tends to go away as you get older. I found that it happened to me at a very stressful time in my life, and got better as the stress resolved. Just knowing what was causing it, and that I wasn't sick or going crazy, really helped as well. One note - it is a little more common in women who have been sexually abused, so if that's the case for you, maybe counseling could help resolve it.
|

replied February 28th, 2012
Thats sleep paralysis!!! I have that too. I just have to self talk myself to calm down and then I can wake up out of it. Im 32 and its been happening since i was a teen!
|

replied July 24th, 2013
Sadly I don't have any tips, but I'm incredibly relieved that someone is experiencing the same type of Dejavu that I am. As for the sleep paralysis... The only thing you can do is try to move your limbs one at a time, you can't force your body to start moving. I find that attempting to shake your head back and forth repeatedly helps shut off the paralysis.

At first I thought it was something like the Sims... but it's a bit different some how. Anyway, I hope you can get over this soon. It's quite unnerving when these things happen.
|

replied December 14th, 2004
I Thought I Was Alone!!!!
Ever since I was in elementary school I have had extreme deja vu. However, because the symptoms I was having (rapid heart rate, heavy chest pains, turning stomach, headaches, severe sweating, passing out) they thought it was anxiety. Which, I do have anxiety... But this is not it...Its no where near this intense, especially in a short period of time (30 sec). Eventually I stopped having them... Until a few months ago (now 21 yrs old). I will have these almost skit-like dreams where 3 or 4 different 30-second scenerios play out in my head that make no sense at all when I wake up. Then a few weeks go by and out of nowhere, and in a random place, my chest starts to hurt really bad, then I get sweaty and I know its coming but I cant stop it. Then comes the intense part where I turn pale and my heart starts racing, I get dizzy, then I have to sit down. I dont know that this was my dream until the end because I remember dreaming it and not understanding it because its usually somewhere ive never been. And I know exactly what people are going to say or do. It has bothered me since I was in 4th grade and no one beleived how much it drains my body to experience this. The doctors laughed at me. I dont know how to help you, but I do know that I have these episodes too and allthough it sucks, im glad im not alone.
|

replied April 10th, 2012
Ive been having the same thing. I think it started while i was in school one day. except my symptoms are kind of different. its like i know when its bout to happen and i have to prepare for it. first i see sumthin that i know i remember before. except it makes no sense because theres no real importance to it. next a smell this inevitable smell according to the situation. my head spins and headaches start. i also feel like vomitting and once i actually did throw up. then i have to lie down for a while. leaving wherever i am and its kinda weird because people always ask why i leave all of a sudden and i cant exactly explain to them because its not normal and my household is very logical so im not sure they would believe me. im juss really glad to hear it happens to sumone else other than me. cuz i get rlly scared sumtimes. im searching the internet to see if its sum kind of sickness but so far i have found nothing, juss stories from people like me. im not sure what to do but all i know is it doesnt feel to good.
|

replied September 17th, 2012
oh my gosh, I can't believe someone else experiences this. I have had the exact same symptoms since I was a child. I do not understand them and I have always been told it's just "de ja vu" but it is so much more intense. I even have the exact thing where I remember the dream after the episode has passed. I wish I knew what this was.
|

replied September 25th, 2013
I have experienced something similar. As a child and teen, I would have repetitive dreams that would later come true. But sometimes, I would experience the sensation of everything around me slowing WAY down. This sensation was also something I would dream, repetitively. While awake, it (the slowing) would occur when I was doing something repetitive (like vacuuming). Also, a bizarre sensation of being extremely far away from someone I'm right next to. A feeling I got in a repetitive dream where I'm in the middle of a vast desert. This sensation always only happened when I was arguing with the person. A strange, faint odor is associated with the dream and the waking sensation. I haven't had these experiences in about a decade, but my "regular" dj vu happens more frequently now, and when I get it, I almost always suffer an anxiety attack. It's not exactly like your experience, but I wanted you to know that I understand, and that you are not alone.
|

replied December 17th, 2004
Hi,
i have that feeling when I overdraw my bank account... But didn't know it was going to happen. Like there will have been a one time charge that I didn't allow for... Or a check from 8 months ago will finally come through, right after I correct what I thought was my error (the additional money).

The feeling tends to be spot on in terms of my bank account.

So maybe the feeling in relation to your meds or other things is spot on, too, only you don't know the relationship yet...

One thing I know for sure is that some meds that I have been on, like for depression, have caused memory loss and have lowered my b12 level...

I actually have cognitive dysfunction from my b12 level being too low, too long.

Soooo, i'd be curious if you have lines on your fingernails????

Health-boundaries-bite.Com/fingernails.Htm l
your fingernails reflect your health --
learn what warning signs to look for --
karen kline
|

replied December 18th, 2004
Hi,
i'm ba-aack.

Please would you take a look at your fingernails, and describe them to me? Do they have lines on them???? How clearly can you see your moons??

your fingernails reflect your health --
learn what warning signs to look for --
karen kline
|

replied December 28th, 2004
Hello everyone, i'm new to this place, but this topic caught my eye through google because i'm suffering from the following:

around about october I was in ireland on a mini holiday with my girlfriend. Things were fine until my birthday. On the night of my birthday, which was sunday, I woke up to find that I had an intense feeling of deja vu wherever I looked at anything or did anything. This feeling lasted for at least 30 minutes, reducing me to a panic attack, extreme shivering and unable to calm myself. It lasted 30 minutes because I finally made myself go back to sleep again. Whether this happened due to the fact I was away from my family on my 18th birthday therefore felt homesick and stressed (because I hate flying and I had to fly home on tuesday) I don't know, but I woke upin the morning and I was fine again.

Until 2-3 weeks ago, when this feeling happened again. This time on tuesday at college. I was typing something into a message board and I all of a sudden got this feeling of deja vu. Usually when this happens though I shrug it off and continue with what i'm doing, but not this time. I panicked, therefore making the feeling more intense, until I finally calmed myself down after a while. However it happened again and once again I panicked. Two days before all this I was having problems with my girlfriend as she wasn't texting me etc, and I was getting the feeling she was avoiding me and that made me worried. I don't know if thats related to what happened. (bare with my poor grammar here :p)

whatever the case, I couldn't shake it off. The following day I was alright (wednesday) but thursday right up to sunday I wasn't. I was having an increased feeling of fight or flight panic attacks, with mild feelings of deja vu. On saturday my girlfriend dumped me, which made me even more depressed, until on sunday I was so depressed that I felt deja vu feelings alot when I was sitting at the table eating tea talking to mum and my sister. I calmed down gradually, but once again it acted up because I talked to my dad about what I was feeling. Then on the night I was unable to get too sleep because I was worrying about it and felt deja vu feelings again. Then in the middle of monday night I wasn't even able to go back to sleep because I worried about it and needed to talk to dad to calm myself down. By this time I was wreck, I felt I was going mad or that something deadly was destroying my brain.

Finally on tuesday I calmed down again, attempting to calm myself and realise that i'm not showing any other symptoms to suggest brain tumor or whatever. This helped and I was able to sleep and work again, though sometimes it would happen, I was able to calm myself.

Unfortunately though recently it has acted up again a little. My dreams have been weird, sometimes even feeling that some dreams are deja vu (which is ridicolous). However, more worrying is that I have now somehow made my mind believe that deja vu is being made when I have dreamless sleep, or when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't remember what i've dreamt. I then take the times of which I fell asleep and woke up and put them as the times in the day that I will have deja vu feelings again. This is causing me to panic again and I don't know how to sort it. I know i'm being stupid but i'm worried sick and if I continue I could make myself physically or mentally ill. What should I do? I'm really worried about this. I managed to sort myself out without the need of doctors etc, but now this has acted up and i'm seeing myself having to go to a doctor...

I don't know what to do, and i'm really worried about myself. Please help.
|

replied April 5th, 2005
Any Answers Yet?
Pardon my impatience here - but I have to ask if anyone here has any answers to the problem yet.

Has anyone seen a doctor about this?

I myself have read about a connection between epilepsy and deja vu and i'm interested now because my girlfriend just started having this problem again and she hasn't had it since she was about 12.

Sounds to me like it could be some sort of stress-triggered epilepsy, which means she needs to see a doctor - none of us want to carry around an unconfirmed medical diagnosis like that.

So have any of you been brave enough to go and have it checked out?
|

replied April 6th, 2005
Fair enough - you yourself did answer the question. And that's great if you were able to reduce your anxiety and that worked for you.
Doesn't account for everyone though, and I was wondering if anyone had sought a professional opinion.
|

replied April 6th, 2005
Weird
This is quite strange since starting to suffer from anxiety i've noticed more deja vu. I didn't really think anything of it but I bet there's a relation somewhere, the brains a funny thing.

One thing I sometimes do which you might want to try is say something really weird that you wouldn't normally - like monkey cheese motorbike - something random, it usually stops it for me :)
|

replied April 8th, 2005
Deja-vu And Seizures
These episodes you are all describing are most likely seizures. They are probably what are called "partial seizures", which are usually associated with temporal lobe epilepsy. In general they are "simple" partial seizures if you do not lose consciousness, and "complex" if you do. I had these incidences of deja-vu, along with nausea and fear, for years before I figured out what they were (about 4years ago) and I only did because I was a neuroscience graduate student at the time and I read about it in a text book. I'm not sure about the connection with anxiety, but in many cases a lack of sleep (or good sleep) makes it more likely that you will have a seizure. Also, people who have epilepsy are much more likely to also suffer from depression than the general population.

Bottom line--go see a neurologist!

I hope this helps all of you.
Good luck,
katie
|
Users who thank ktoleary for this post: kissu 

replied August 9th, 2012
DejaVu & Anxiety
Hey am already on epilepsy medication (I have nocturnal epilepsy), however, my dejavu & anxiety while awake seems to have got worse.

Any idea why?

Thanks
|

replied August 1st, 2013
I have had this deja-vu feeling for past 15 years. It happens when I am under stress and worried. Later at around 19 I had seizures during sleep. I had 4-5 seizures over 5 years, all during sleep.

I have been on Lamitor for past 6 years and no seizures since then. But this deju-vu feeling does continue to occur. When it happens it begins by a sensation that I am going to experience something that I already know, it then starts to feel very saddening and depressing. It lasts about a minute and during this time I tend to lose interest in what ever is happening around me.

You are suggesting that this is partial seizure? What are more conclusive symptoms?

Are you a practicing doctor now? If so can I get in touch.
|

replied April 12th, 2005
Re: Any Answers Yet?
alancz wrote:
pardon my impatience here - but I have to ask if anyone here has any answers to the problem yet.

Has anyone seen a doctor about this?

i have, he gave me soe xanax and it worked, but then he wouldn't renew my prescription. Anyway i'm better now thanks to xanax.
|

replied October 31st, 2005
Deja Vu
I know that most of the posts on this subject are somewhat old, however I felt moved to post this information that I have found as I came to this website first looking for information.

I want to say that I am a normal happy 29 year old female, that I have 'mild' everyday 'tolerable' stress in my life and that I have no anxiety or panic disorders.
That being said...However.... I sometimes find myself experiencing intense feelings of deja vu. (or deja senti see below) it usually lasts for about 30 seconds and sometimes leaves me feeling a little nauseous. I have tried to explain these feelings to my doctor, friends and my poor husband.. Nobody seems to truly understand & they dismiss it as stress. Which is acceptable to me as this does not adversely effect my life. I was a little curious though and decided to research it. I am glad to hear that other people have similar experiences. I guess it's all part of being human.

Three types of deja vu
by arthur funkhouser, ph.D., bern, switzerland

the term 'deja vu' has been around quite a while, now, and, in the last few years has become practically a
buzz-word, being often found in books, newspaper accounts and magazine articles concerned with a wide variety
of topics (i have amassed quite a collection, should anyone wish to see them). The problem is, though, that while
many see fit to employ it in their writing and conversation, just exactly what is meant by the words 'deja vu' is
pretty vague. Many, based on their own experience, believe it must refer to what they encountered and/or felt,
while others, having never had such experiences, have a very foggy notion of what is meant, if at all. As such, it
has become a sort of catch-all label for any number of hard-to-explain, sometimes upsetting occurrences of
unexpected recognition, in which the person involved has trouble identifying an antecedent for the events and/or
places which seem so strangely and intensely familiar.

In addition, the term 'deja vu' has become encrusted, over the years, with a number of unfortunate associations,
ranging from reincarnation to temporal lobe epilepsy, which hinder further research. These 'explanations' along
with others such as delayed intra-hemisphere transmission over the corpus callosum as well as an astonishing array
of psychoanalytical theories lead people to believe that all that one needs to know about such experiences is
already known and that there is nothing of interest still to be done.

I believe the time has come, therefore, for our terminology, especially in educated discourse, to become more
differentiated (in fact, if I had my way, we would get rid of 'deja vu' altogether as over-worked and entitled to a
well-deserved rest). To this end, I would like to draw attention to three forms of 'deja' experience, defining each
as we go along, and plea that these be used when discussing the experiences they refer to. Upon reflection,
readers may come up with other, better terms for these experiences or propose terms for other, related
experiences which are not the same as the ones described in the following. Since french scientists and thinkers
were the first to investigate these phenomena, it seems fitting to retain french names for these intriguing
experiences.

1. Deja vecu (already experienced or lived through)

a fairly well-known quote from david copperfield by charles dickens can be used to introduce what is meant by
deja vecu,

we have all some experience of a feeling, that comes over us occasionally, of what we are saying and doing
having been said and done before, in a remote time - of our having been surrounded, dim ages ago, by the
same faces, objects, and circumstances - of our knowing perfectly what will be said next, as if we suddenly
remember it! (chapter 39)

this describes the feeling that many people know as deja vu (if they know a name for it). A number of surveys
have shown that about one third of the general population have had such or similar experiences. Moreover,
surveys have indicated that such experiences tend to occur more frequently and possibly more intensely when the
respondents were young, say between ages 15 to 25. In addition, such experiences are frequently, if not always,
connected with very banal events. They are so striking, though, that they are often clearly remembered for years
following their occurrence.

Anyone having had such experiences knows that they normally involve more sense modalities than just sight. As in
the dickens quotation, they can easily involve hearing, tasting, touch and/or proprioceptive perceptions as well.
This is why referring to such experiences as simply deja vu is inadequate.

Another feature of deja vecu that most would agree with is the amazing detail involved. When you are in the midst
of such an occurrence, you are conscious that everything conforms with your 'memory' of it. This is why
explanations which suggest that the person has read about or experienced something similar in the past cannot be
valid. Moreover, this is why explanations based on reincarnation and past lives can also be ruled out. A typical
deja vecu experience can easily involve clothing or even a pc, but styles of clothing change practically every year
and it is rather unlikely that someone had a pc on his or her desk in a previous life!

If incidences of deja vecu can be taken as being real, our notions of causality may have to be revised in some
ways. It does not seem to be difficult, though, for modern physicists to entertain notions of time loops, tachyons
(particles that can travel backwards in time) and multiple universes. That our unconscious would then be able to
avail itself of such anomalies and present us with precognitive knowledge via visions and dreams, is then not so
farfetched as it might seem at first glance.

2. Deja senti ('already felt')

I would like to turn now to a phenomena that is often confused with deja vecu. To introduce it, I would like to
quote from an 1889 paper by Dr. John hughlings jackson, one of the foremost pioneers of modern neurology. In
the words of one of his patients, a medical doctor suffering from what has come to be known as temporal lobe or
psychomotor epilepsy, he wrote:

what is occupying the attention is what has occupied it before, and indeed has been familiar, but has been
for a time forgotten, and now is recovered with a slight sense of satisfaction as if it had been sought for. ...
At the same time, or ... More accurately in immediate sequence, I am dimly aware that the recollection is
fictitious and my state abnormal. The recollection is always started by another person's voice, or by my
own verbalized thought, or by what I am reading and mentally verbalize; and I think that during the
abnormal state I generally verbalize some such phrase of simple recognition as 'oh yes - I see', 'of course -
I remember', &c., but a minute or two later I can recollect neither the words nor the verbalized thought
which gave rise to the recollection. I only find strongly that they resemble what I have felt before under
similar abnormal conditions.

This state, which sometimes appears in the aura of temporal lobe epilepsy attacks, jackson termed 'reminiscence'
and I believe could be best termed deja senti. Three features are evident from this description, however, that
distinguish it from deja vecu: a. It is primarily or even exclusively a mental happening; b. There are no precognitive
aspects in which the person feels he or she knows in advance what will be said or done; and c. It seldom or never
remains in the afflicted person's memory afterwards.

A book has recently appeared which has temporal lobe epilepsy as its main focus. In it, the author mentions deja
vu as being a symptom of psychomotor epilepsy, a contention that also persists in most medical and psychiatric
textbooks and which would seem to be based on this and other remarks by Dr. Jackson. The book quotes a
neuropsychologist named paul spiers who told students at a lecture that if they had had deja vu experiences, they
were epileptics! This sort of nonsense continues at least in part because, up till now, our terms have been so
poorly defined and this has hampered making adequate surveys which distinguish between the various deja
phenomena.

3. Deja visite ('already visited')

there is another phenomena which is also often confused with deja vecu. It seems to occur more rarely and is an
experience in which a person visits a new locality and nevertheless feels it to be familiar. He or she seems to know
their way around. C. G. Jung published an interesting account of it in his paper on synchronicity. To distinguish it
from deja vecu, it is important to ask whether it was purely the place and location of inanimate buildings and/or
objects that were familiar, or did the situation that the person was in also play a role. Deja viste has to do with
geography, with the three spatial dimensions of height, width and depth, while deja vecu has to do more with
temporal occurrences and processes.

Deja visite can be explained in several ways. It may be that the person once read a detailed account of the place
and has subsequently forgotten it. This happened to nathaniel hawthorne on a visit he made to the ruins of a
castle in england. He 'recognized' the place but didn't know how or why. Only later was he able to trace it to a
piece written two hundred years earlier by alexander pope about it. The incident ofdeja visite described by sir
walter scott in his book, guy mannering, is also based on this hypothesis. Reincarnation might also offer a way of
explaining some instances of deja visite. A third possibility are so-called 'out-of-the-body' experiences in which a
person is apparently able to travel abroad, leaving his or her body behind.

It is possible that mixed versions of these three forms of 'deja' experience may occur. There are also several other
phenomena which resemble these in various ways, but space does not permit going into them here. Those wishing
to know more and explore the various aspects of deja phenomena more deeply are referred to the excellent
overview in the book by neppe.
|

replied November 2nd, 2005
Experienced User
Dp
Hi there,

just thought what your explaining sounds like depersonalisation, if you look it up on the web you can see if it matches your symptoms. I get this all the time and it is supposed to go away when your anxiety disappears, I live in hope this will happen soon!

Debs
|

replied November 16th, 2005
I had similar symptoms to those mentioned: deja vu (lasting maybe 30 sec. And then all of a sudden I couldn't remember it), extreme feelings of fear washing over me, turning pale, nausea, heart racing...My doctor initially referred me to a psychiatrist and I was diagnosed with panic disorder. I went back for a second opinion because I just knew that this wasn't the problem. I was then referred to a neurologist who, after many tests, diagnosed me with simple partial seizures. My suggestion is go see a doctor and be persistent. You know your body best.
|

replied December 9th, 2005
Deja Vu
I stumbled onto this forum while searching for information on extreme deja vus. I have experienced what a few people have posted. On two separate occassions I have had "all day" episodes of intense feelings of deja vu. The other day I woke up and I sort of felt like my whole morning was a deja vu - but just the normal type. Then, at work, I got into a conversation with a woman about her house being robbed a few weeks ago. When she starting telling me what was taken I immediately knew what she was going to say. I became nauseaus, and a wave of heat covered the core of my body and my heart began pounding heavily. It only lasted 15 seconds until I could feel myself coming out of it, but while it was happening it was like I could see snap shots of a dream, and I knew what she was going to say, but I could not "grasp" what my "dream" was and I could not understand what the pictures were, or I couldn't hold on to them long enough in my mind to process them. This continued happening all day long - about 20 times. I began writing down words that matched with what I was seeing when it was happening, but when I looked at the words I wrote down afterwards they didn't seem to "fit" what the images were even though I couldn't really remember what the images were. All of the episodes were started while I was in conversation with someone and were triggered by what the person said and for the most part, I can't remember what the person said. Anyhow. . . I read that someone posted that they may be stress related or panic attacks or mini-seizures. I am usually pretty busy, but this time of year for me is my least stressful time and I get plenty of sleep. I have had a panic attack before - about 10 years ago and it was very different than the intense deja vu feeling. During the intense deja vu feeling, it is almost like I am suppose to remember a dream, but I cannot remember it. I tried to induce the feeling so that I could work on what it was, but I couldn't and after the last one of the day, I knew it was going to be over because I felt differently. Now, if this is what someone feels who has gone to the doctor and found out they were having mini-seizures, please let me know. I don't know much about mild seizures but it doesn't sound pleasant and I could somewhat control the attack if I tried - I would make myself think about something else and not let my mind dwell on the snapshot in my head. Any posting would be great. It was very comforting reading that someone else has had these types of feelings.

Amanda
|

replied March 26th, 2011
hi,

i just read your post and i am searching the web for info. about how i am feeling. i could relate to what you said you experienced. if you see this post, can you reply? i'd love to ask you more questions.

thanks!
|

replied March 30th, 2011
I experience the exact same feelings. Words surface in the midst of this depersonalization deja vu feeling and as I grasp the word it gets stronger and trigger deeper dream recollections. I am pretty much self diagnosing this as simple partial seizures. Will be seeing a neurologist to confirm. It is crazy stuff. Brain seems to get an electrical surge that jolts you out of this world....
|

replied March 30th, 2011
I experience the exact same feelings. Words surface in the midst of this depersonalization deja vu feeling and as I grasp the word it gets stronger and trigger deeper dream recollections. I am pretty much self diagnosing this as simple partial seizures. Will be seeing a neurologist to confirm. It is crazy stuff. Brain seems to get an electrical surge that jolts you out of this world....
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2011
That is similar as to what happens to me, like a dream deja'vu thing, but you cant fully understand it but you know what they are going to say, as well as the heat thing you mentioned, my doctor diagnosed it as epilepsy due to the conditions and my family history of epilepsy, on 2-3 seperate occasions did i have an actual seizure, it feels like blacking out or sleeping while in reality your on the floor shaking uncontrollably, boy did my mom get scared hehe, I find what helpsas you said is to think of something else and to ignore it. hope this helps and any reply on any more information or details on it would be appreciated

Marleau
|

replied January 6th, 2012
wierd dejavu or something!!!!!!!!!
you wote this in 2005-its 2012 now!----any chance you are still out there...your post descibes my experience so closely...any chance you ever figured out what is going on with this????????
|

replied March 19th, 2012
Extreme nausea from the Dejavue
Hello,
So I'm not crazy, or we all are. Theses dejavues will last all day. Not one continuous one, but all day, I'll just look at something and it happens. It's a feeling of trying to remember something. Then I get a little dizzy, but very sick to the stomach.
I can sometimes control it and just not think about it, but twice today it came out of the blue and I got sick. If someone can email me to discuss this further
|

replied April 29th, 2012
Amanada - I agree with what you said 100% as the same happens to me
|

replied January 24th, 2006
Deja Senti
It was so great to come across this and to read of others who have similar experiances. Especially when I try to describe it to my pshyciatrist and get a 'duh?' expression. Now I not only understand more about what causes it, but that it is something explainable.
I get a sensation before the initial deja senti begins, a feeling that it's building up, on it's way. Then i'm hit with the most intense set of deja vu\senti. I use to get quick flashes of images or...Something. My memory of them is limited almost entirely to when it's occuring and unreachable after the 'experiance' has past. I would try to record what I was thinking while it was happening, but as they came so fast I was left with indescript words like; chair, flying, mad at someone, fast, etc. And then the moment would pass, I would be unable to associate my list of thoughts to any memory. During these episodes, I also felt an intense feeling of...? It's hard to expain, it was definately a physical feeling, not pain, but horribly...Uncomfortable, that doesn't seem like the right word. A lot of times they would be intense to the point that I felt nauseated.
I'm now on a medication called lamicatal to treat my bi-polar disorder, which is also used to treat epilepsy, and epilepsy connected to deja senti. When I take my medication regularly, I don't have experiances but for once in a blue moon.
|
Users who thank TeopDas for this post: Optimist 

replied June 22nd, 2006
Deja Vu & Anxiety?
I am so relieved that there are other people out there that are going through this. Like many of you, i've been to the doctors and have gotten that look like your out of your mind. After reading about temporal lobe seizures being linked to this strange and very intense feeling of deja vu, I went to my doctors and he order up and eeg for me. I went, everything came back normal and i'm still getting these episodes because I don't know what to call them. I can feel them coming on and they usually last for about a minute or so, but once it's over, i'm just completely drained and all I want to do is sleep. In the interim, my doctor prescribed xanax, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. If any doctor is reading this, if you could comment on what you think or if you have any advice, i'm sure we'd all appreciate it. It's a scary feeling, but i'm relieved to know that there are other people out there going through this and knowing that i'm not alone.
|

replied June 27th, 2006
Dp/dr
I have jamais vu many times, it's called depersonalization and derealization.

I feel like I am not really here, and sometimes I can look at people and feel like they arent familiar, or when I look outside, I feel like a veil separes me from the world. I feel like drugged.

It's called derealization too.

I have a live journal, and if you want to come to my dp/dr community :

You're welcome. *i speack french too
|

replied July 1st, 2006
Deja Vu Feelings
Hello,

i'm a 39-year-old male who has been experiencing deja vu seizures for 22 years, since I was in a car accident my senior year of high school. I had a head injury (bruised brain) and was in a coma for 13 days and my left side was paralyzed when I awakened.

Through physical and occcupation therapy I was able to recover my faculties and continue with my life, but have had these intense deja vu feelings regularly (sometimes once or twice a month, sometimes once every couple of months) ever since.

My neurologist had me on dilantin when I lived in north carolina, and when I moved to iowa I was switched to tegretol. However, the side-effects of the medications were awful so I quit taking any medications. The deja vu episodes have not been become more frequent or intense without the medicine, so i'm resolved to experiencing them the rest of my life.

These feelings are usually triggered by music, and usually occur when I am tired or under stress. I have experienced them while driving, while interviewing subjects for the articles I write, when taking college exams, etc. I lose my attention at the time, become a bit sickly, and am very tired afterwards (like after an orgasm). The people around me when these occur cannot tell that anything is happening, except that I am very distracted for 20-30 seconds.

Last year I was interviewing someone for a news story, which was being taped, and caught on record losing my attention. I couldn't remember what question I was about to ask, and had to apologize to the interview subject while I recovered.

Occasionally I will grab a pen and paper and write down what triggers these episodes, but since what I write down makes no sense afterwards I usually don't bother to do that anymore.
|

replied September 5th, 2006
Temporal Lobe Seizures
I'm a 39 year old female and I started having feelings of deja vu while pregnant with my youngest son. I didn't think much of it until I awoke one night to find 3 strange men in my bedroom waiting to take me to the hospital. My husband explained that I had a grand mal seizure in my sleep (i didn't believe him until I saw evidence of blood on my pillow from biting my tongue.) that was 10 years ago and i've been on dilantin ever since. While i've never had another grand mal seizure, I do experience what i've since learned were temporal lobe seizures (deja vu's) pretty regularly. My neurologist has never been able to find a cause, and has attempted to adjust my medication quite often, adding different drugs at different times. In addition to the dilantin, i've also taken neurontin and I am currently taking topomax.

It is so hard to explain to someone who has never experienced these feelings what they are like. When I stumbled across this forum, it was so nice to hear from people who actually understood what I felt. When I try to explain the fear that comes along with these feelings of deja vu to others, they simply can not understand why. And to be honest, when I look back on the episodes (what I can remember of them) I can't imagine what is so scary about them either. All I know is that when I experience them - usually in the mornings, listening to the radio getting ready for work, I get weak in the knees, sick in the stomach and get a horrible metallic taste in my mouth from the fear. I often get a slight headache following them also. It's nice to know that i'm not some weirdo out there and that even though we may not be able to convey it to people in our lives - there are others out there who do understand!

Just curious.. Does anyone out there feel that these episodes are affecting their long-term memories?? Or perhaps i'm simply getting old!
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Arvind Malhotra
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Arvind Malhotra