Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Continued Bleeding After Period (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I'm currently on the pill and I got my period like normal, I thought that it was over with so I had intercourse but then after sex I had some light dark bleeding. I've been bleeding off and on since then. It's been 13 days since I started my period, it usually lasts 6 days. The bleeding is very light and is a dark brownish color. Is this normal?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Crazyness24
|

replied February 21st, 2006
Hey,

i've had exactly the same thing happen. I started taking the pill for the first time and had a period as normal, I thought it was over after 5 days, but when I tried to have sex I had some thick dark brownish blood come out. Ever since then (for about 10 days) i've been constantly bleeding lightly in this way.

I thought it had stopped again yesterday and so we tried to have sex, but it happened again. This is worrying me a little as what's coming out is nothing like what i've had during a period before... Someone help!
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2006
Experienced User
Hey guys, this is normal. Its a side effect that happens to many women. If you haven't been on it long this can happen up to about 3 months untill you body gets used to it. I have a feeling it will happen to me also. Give it time if it doesnt stop and gets annoying tell your doctor. Don't be scared if you read all the other posts you'll find this topic many times. I would be nervous to but my gyno told me its normal. Can I ask what kind of pills you bother are taking? Are they low dose or no? Im taking lutera which is a form of alesse. So far I love it. Keep me posted guys.
|
Users who thank Crazyness24 for this post: MaryJane10 

Thanks! That's put my mind at ease a little. I've done a bit more research on the internet and found that a few other people had a similar experience in the first few months of using the pill, particularly microgynon 30, which is what i've been taking. I think I was just a bit worried at the colour of it more than anything else. I'm still bleeding a really small amount, but it seems to be getting less each day. I've booked an appointment with the nurse at my surgery just to be sure though... Thanks again!
|

replied April 19th, 2012
Well i started my pill around the 1 march 2011 and my period was normal but when i came to have a sexual relation around after my pierod a week after i bleeded is this normal that a week after i bleeded? Im i still protected cause me and my boyfriend are worried that this could maybe get me pregnate..
|

User Profile
Experienced User
alice84 wrote:
thanks! That's put my mind at ease a little. I've done a bit more research on the internet and found that a few other people had a similar experience in the first few months of using the pill, particularly microgynon 30, which is what i've been taking. I think I was just a bit worried at the colour of it more than anything else. I'm still bleeding a really small amount, but it seems to be getting less each day. I've booked an appointment with the nurse at my surgery just to be sure though... Thanks again!

no problem :) I know from personally I used to take depo provera and I had this brownish stuff coming out of me for 3 months...Its kind of like the stuff you get out of your period. I believe they call it like blood clots or remaining blood which turns brown. Good luck keep me posted :)
|

My spotting has stopped but I have been on the pill for about 1 1/2 years now, so i'm not sure if it's the same time that you're talking about but someone suggested that I might need to change birth control. I'm having pms symptoms which I usually get one week before my period but i'm having them 3 weeks before my period. So i'm just waiting to see if I get my period and go from there. Thanks for your replys :) and good luck on your appointment.
|

replied April 13th, 2007
Hoping For a Respond.
hey, i hope people are still coming and replying to this because im lost.
well okay, in january of this year, my period came 2 weeks late, and then in february it came normally, but then a week and half later i had dark red/brownish clumppy blood come out for 8 days.. and i wasnt even on the pill at the time nor have i ever been, but me and my bf just looked at it as if it was a miscarriage because the condum had broke a week before.. so yeah but then it went away and we were to scared to go to the doctor and find out what it really was so we just brushed it off. and then this month i got my period and started on the pill, im on day 6 of taking the pill and my period finished yesterday.. but then today the brownish clumppy blood came again today and im worried because i dunno if its here to stay again for another 8 days or what? help meee, pleaseee!! Embarassed
|

replied April 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
When you take the pill, it causes bleeding irregularities when you first start using it.

YOU would not have a miscarriage 1 week after sex, you would not even technically be pregnant yet!

Pregnancy is not a BAM, instant thing, it is a 12-14 day process of fertilization and implantation.

You likely did not have a miscarriage, but you likely do just have abnormal bleeding patterns, which the pill will help with after a few months =)
|

replied July 8th, 2008
respond please or help me find an answer im confused
i just finished my period a week ago and now im bleeding very slightly some times its a little brownish and others its pinkish but its only pinkish after i pee after the first day it stoped so i had sex then after that it started again its only been two days but me and my boyfriend are exreamly nervis pleas help and its not enough to fill up a panty liner
|

replied September 14th, 2008
Ive recently started back up on birthcontrol and before i did, i had gotten my period 10 days early. So i took my first pill the first day i had gotten my period. Now, its been 9 days and im still bleeding. Ive also been having a cramps at the odd times. Im scared that i might of had a miscarrage when i got my period early but im unsure if its just a side affect of the pill?!?
|

replied January 21st, 2009
ahh
so i got my period on new years then about 2 weeks later i started bleeding and i havent stopped since and i dont know what to do( been about 2 weeks now).., and i took a pregnancy test but it said negative... im confused.. can somebody give me any answers on what to do!??!
|

replied October 27th, 2009
Nuvaring issues
Is this normal for starting the nuvaring too? I started nuvaring last saturday o the first day of my period and I am still bleeding 10 days later and its the darkish red brown stuff...I have had normal periods and this period came on time. I am worried I may be pregnant but my bf has never cum inside me without a condum
|

replied January 7th, 2010
spotting
I had my period last week and ended on Sunday. My boyfriend and I happened to have had sex during my period with no protection. It is now thursday and I have had light spotting every day since my period ended. Is this a sign of pregnancy? I have no other signs of pregnancy besides the spotting and I am freaking out. I have been on birth control for about a year so I don't think it would be because of just starting it but I did miss my Sunday pill and had to take 2 on Monday.
|

replied April 4th, 2010
i need help i dont think this is normal help me?
i ended my period like a week ago and i was good for a day then it came back and i dont know if its normal i stopped taking birth control because i thought it had something to do with it. i have been nauseated and my stomach has been hurting and i just been urinating and deficating so much often and i havent been eating that much because of whats happening and its making me not eat as much can someone help me
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
ten days period..
i started taking lutera on sunday which was also the first day of my period but it has been 10 days and im still bleeding. i have no idea what's going on. ive had sex witout a condem quite a few times before i started lutera too.. im not sure what to think or if its normal. please helpp, im only 16 & honeslty afraid to talk to my mom..
|

replied September 5th, 2010
worried
i took the pill (postinor) while i was on my period (to be exact, before I knew my period was coming because I was a week late and I had unprotected sex the night before)... now, its my 16th day and there's still light spotting sometimes a bit more than a spot. is this normal?
|

replied November 21st, 2010
I just started my period last friday the day i started my birth control (alessa) and i usually have my period for 6 days , but im still bleeding , not alot of blood is coming out its a little pinkish but more brownish , the doctor said it will be normal , i just want to know how long the spotting lasts and will it stop or will it be like this while im on birth control. I went on the pill to regulate my period but it seems like its just making it last longer without the cramps i use to get.. how long will it take to stop!
|

replied April 18th, 2011
i know im not a memeber of this sight yet but ...i was just ending my period after starting on the 7th and i noticed i wasnt bleending any more .. i am on the pill and have been on it for about 2 weeks now, i tried having unprotected sex for the first time and while me and my boyfriend were having intercourse he noticed that there was what it looked like brownish blood on him, so we had gotten scared about it but now that i read about everyone else who has the same problem i feel better but im still feeling a little iffy about it all..
|

replied April 18th, 2011
its ok girls im having the same problem and i just started birth control about 2 weeks ago the day my period had started...i thought it had ended and you knoe how sometimes it looks as if you stop? well i thought i had stopped so i wanted to try to have unprotected sex for the first time with my boyfriend... thinking it was ok we tried it and as we were having intercourse he had noticed that there was brownish reddish looking stuff on him. we both panicked and stopped and we thought maybe it was my period. but the next day it was gone so we tried again there wasnt as much that time but i was still concerned.he didnt finish inside of me as we use the pull out method and i am on the pill but still i am really scared and it would be nice to hear from different people... when youre on the pill it takes about a week to kick in right? so maybe my body is getting use to it.
someone please talk to me ...
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
My gf is having this problem. She is on birth control and has been for a little over 2 years now.. We have no worries of stds or anything, she ended her period 2 weeks ago and just the other day she started having pinkish to brown discharge varying as the days carry on. It's only been like 3 days since this started. Any thoughts? Is this normal being that she is on birth control? Should I be worried of pregnancy, being on BC for so long already she shouldn't even have the eggs to be fertilized and its been too short of a time after her period to even be a pregnancy issue and have gone through her cycle. Thoughts??
|
12 >>