Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Laxatives...don"t Do It!!! (Page 1)

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Hi, I am a recovering bulemic.....And my story was binging and then taking 20 laxatives to rid my body.....I did this from my 11th grade year until I was 37....And by then, my body was so addicted to the laxatives that my large intestine stopped working.....Well, this past june I had my whole intestine removed and now I live a whole different lifestyle.....Oh yeah, I was borderline anorexic by not eating and taking the laxatives....See, I was taught this by my dancing friend who before a competition took a laxative to flatten her tummy.....And let me tell you...It always didn't do the trick.....Besides, hiding this from everyone and having nobody ever see my problem, I was a bathroom freak!!! If I didn't have a good bowel movement, then I would feel like I needed help....I took half bottles of mylanta, and mineral oil and anything else that would do the job.....Now I have to be careful not to poop my pants due to the fact that my body only has my small intestine to do all the job....And on top of that I dehydrate so fast that I can pass out any time.....Does this look real glamourous??? Try having to wear depends on days that you may have eaten something that might come out too fast to control, and the farts I give off are uncontrollable with little packages in them.....I guess the price of controlling food and weight aren't always what they are cracked up to be.....Something to think about.....Now I am 38 and I am living a whole different lifestyle....One of an 80 year old taking benefiber 3 x a day, wearing depends and farting uncontrollably.....What do you think, was it worth it? If you are having troubles please respond because you don't need to go through this.....I can help you....And show you what to eat that won't make you feel so bloated or fat.....I can be your conscience..........
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper macbeck5
|
Users who thank macbeck5 for this post: Martelia 

replied February 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
Hi. Wow. You had bulimia... For.... 20 years? Fuuuuck. I have had it for one year and it feels like forever. I dont ever take laxitives because I know that all they do is pass the water or something.. Not the food. But anyway. Thankyou for offering your help to people. What are some things I could do that would help me get out of binge / purge? Its basically cause I dont eat enough during the day... So I get home from school starving.... Then eat eat eat. But its also about the feelings... If I have a !**@! day im like !**@! it im going home and having chocolate. Im almost 16 years old. What are some stratergies that could help me in recovery? I binge purge everyday once, on a rare occation I can manage the day with none. This is what I call a zero day. I had one yesterday. Yay :)
|

replied February 26th, 2006
Hi

i have been taking up to 60 laxatives a day for the last year. I do it because it makes me feel better. I dont eat much but am so scared that I will become a size 20 again (now a size 10) that even if I eat one biscuit I have to take 20 laxatives straight afterwards I have made myself sick.

Can you help me come of them?

Thanks for the message about how they can damage your body that bad, it has really helped.
|

replied February 26th, 2006
See, I didnt' stop until my intestine died out. I was still justifying the enimas and laxatives and even the whole bottles of mylanta (another kind of laxative if taken in abundance) I did beat it for two years though. I had a friend that I called everytime I had the urge and he would talk me through it...He was a triathalon and introduced me to foods that you can eat as many of as you wanted. Apples and oranges, any vegetable if pure and raw (after three or four of these in a row you won't want anything else!)....And lots and lots of water (it keeps that fullness feeling in your belly). I had it beat until my life kind of fell apart a little, I moved so I had no one to help me. It is a matter of control. You have to know that it is okay to lose control every now and again! You have to have a group of people or even one person that you can go to for support. You can't do it alone, you have to find someone who won't be naive and believe your made up stories of why you are taking the laxatives or purging. I always had a quick excuse up my sleeve. Even my husband of 6 years was easily fooled.....You know, " it must have been something I ate", " it must be the flu", "my stomach hurts, I am full of gas, I need to take this" it is easy to get carried away. I was the master!! My parents didn't even know.....You have to admit it and let go and have support!!!! Someone who will be there for you. Someone who will take the "bull" and the shoutings you may end up doing. Don't go it alone!!!! And stop as soon as possible!!! What you are doing right now will come back and haunt you later....Your body is addicted and it is like alcoholics, you always have it for the rest of your life!! I still take and eat things that will make me purge but it is now food and fiber. I still fall back and get into the laxative like foods and fibers when I purge. But now I don't have a choice.....I need to control it or I will end up hooked up with a bag at my side!!!! I never stopped I just have found a new support group. It is a life time problem. So if you started it just recently, stop before it is too late!!!
|

replied March 31st, 2006
Do I Still Have a Chance?
I'm addicted to dulcolax and am taking 5 every evening for the last 5 years. I tried to stop a couple of times but never longer then 3 days. See, I have no bowel movement and feel extremely bloated so I start again. I'm eating lots of fiber. What do you recommend?
By the way, thanks for offering your help!
|

replied March 31st, 2006
Your body has become addicted....So, that is why you don't have a bowel movement. It will take more than 3 days to get your system moving again by itself. Your intestine is being lazy because the chemicals in dulcolax are doing the work for you. You may need to see a doctor to get yourself going again and tell them that you are addicted to the dulcolax it is very common and they can help. If you keep going the way you are, you will see the repercussions. I am still having trouble after they removed my intestine. And it is rather embarrassing and undeterminable when I will have a movement and how it wil come out. Try mineral oil....Put it in your drink, it has no taste at all and it will lubricate for the movement......Don't take too much fiber because your system will bloat....And drink tons of water....But find someone you can call when the "urge to purge" comes on and you want to take a laxative.....Support is the key!!!!
|

replied May 11th, 2006
Laxatives
Hi all,

i've been addicted to laxatives for about 5 years. Reading your stories really scared me and convinced that I should do something about it. I replaced my laxatives with psyllium husks and reduced the laxatives little by little. It worked! I am now down to 1 laxative a day. It took a while but i'm feeling i'm getting there! Try it out, you never know!
|

replied June 10th, 2009
How to stop taking Dulcolax without problems??
Hi, last year I had to have a operation (something totally different from this subject), but after I came out of hospital I had problems going to the toilet so I started taking Dulcolax. At first it really did help, i'd adjusted to the pains and cramps but then after a few months I found myself not being able to stop and for the past 10 months I have been taking 5 tablets in the evening. The truth is aswel I have always had problems with regards to my weight, at one point I weight in just under 20 stone, and within a year of dieting i'd lost 11 and a half stone (not using laxatives). So since the weight loss i've been scared that I will go back to being BIG again, so in a sense the Dulcolax gave me that sense of security. Recently though I have become scared that I will completely wreck my insides and ruin the rest of my life and so I have stopped taking them.

Please I need some advice on how I can deal with this!!!
|

replied November 18th, 2009
dulcolax im hooked
Hi guys i went in 4 emergency op, while i was on weight watchers my problem i coulndt pooh after op so i took dulcolax 2 in the evening now after a year i hooked but like other ppl above its a sense of security i know i will pooh i need to know loud and clear what is the medical facts staying on these tabs...... concerned mum of 4 plz help me.
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
I have been taking Ducolax for 6 years i take 4 almost everyday. i recently got emgaged n i dont wanna have to be on these for the rest of my life. Also my fiancee can not know he just would fee so betratyed that i never told him before now. I have tried to stop a few times the longest i went with out them was 8 days and i did not go. i looked like i was 6 months pregnant it was awful i dont have health ensurance so i cant go to the dcotrs does anyone have any suggestions. ALL are welcome!
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
I have been taking Ducolax for 6 years i take 4 almost everyday. i recently got emgaged n i dont wanna have to be on these for the rest of my life. Also my fiancee can not know he just would fee so betratyed that i never told him before now. I have tried to stop a few times the longest i went with out them was 8 days and i did not go. i looked like i was 6 months pregnant it was awful i dont have health ensurance so i cant go to the dcotrs does anyone have any suggestions. ALL are welcome!
|

replied April 8th, 2010
Hi, is this damaging?
I will only have laxatives like once a week (most like 5 pills at a time) Will this damage my insides? or is it ok? I usually use them when ive binged and am sick dont feel like evrything is out?
How can you tell if they are really hurting you? x
|

replied July 19th, 2010
Wow this is shocking! I've had a problem with bowel movements all my life and it was actually my doc who got me on the laxative kick. She told me that i needed to have a bowel movement at least twice a week and anything less than twice a week was dangerous because the bio waste would accumulate and toxins can leak into my bloodstream... so for the last 4 years i've been taking up to 3 pills every month to "clean out my system". I even went as far as using them as a detox! this whole time i thought i was doing something good for my body, but in reality i've been killing myself. I wish i could sue that doctor, never trust military doctors!
|

replied May 17th, 2011
Taking 3 pills every month is not going to cause you a problem. Thats what laxatives are for... ocassional usage. Your doctor is not wrong. Taking 5-10-20 laxatives A DAY is shocking and really bad for you.
|

replied August 19th, 2010
oh my god this has really scared me! Ive been taking dulcolax for about 4 years, recently ive been taking 10 a day.i take them after i make myself sick before too, i would love to write and say i hate doing it but it's the complete opposite.. i love dulcolax, it keeps me my size.. but after reading this its a little scary :/ ive never tried to give them up cause i never saw it as a problem but i dont think i'll be able to give them up... what can i do?
|

replied April 8th, 2011
I must say. This really worried me. I actaully started taking laxatives because I started becoming anorexic...I would go days and hardly eat anything a day, because of how fat i felt. Since i was hardly eating then there was not much for my body to get rid of and i would often become constipated. So i began taking laxatives. They helped me feel better. Now i'm addicted. I'm still hardly eating an take 4 laxatives at a time. i guess i'm going to try to stop after this story though.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
taking laxatives, throwing up, not eating, drinking mineral oil.... to loose weight? The people on this site who are dealing with these issues need to be talking to someone. Not only do you run the risk of intestinal problems, but massive dehydration can lead to electrolyte imbalances which cause heart issues, kidney issues... and can be as extreme as death.
|

replied May 21st, 2011
i take mineral oil when i binge, every week i say this is the last time, and then am back drinking 3 pints of the stuff in a day because ive eaten 30 chocolate bars and don't want to absorb the fat. i am really struggling to find away to stop myself...
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
You need to go to a dr and tell them what you are doing... asap. This will kill you.
|

replied May 23rd, 2011
LAXATIVE
NOrmacal is high fibre plus a gentle laxative. I was told to have this 3 times a day n slowly reduce it to 2 n then to 1. My body has got used to it. My Doc says its a vegetable granule and so it wud hv any side effect. IT is a gluten free product and works fine for me. I know hv 2 spoons a day n having normal bowel movements. Dunno if i am doing the right thing bt the day i stop then the following day wud a bad 1 in the rest room.
|

replied June 19th, 2011
hey guys i have been taking laxitives for about 4 years now dulcoux it started of at 3 a day and has now gradually built up to 50 a day this is really scaring me i no all the health risks but somehow i juct cant seem to stop im thinking about getting up a 8 tomorrow and booking a doctors appointment only i dont no what to say i look fat compared to hoei used to look put alot of weight on in a small amount of time i just dont want to be here i weight 8 stone and im 5,4 i wish i could be normal without and eating disored why is life so hard xxx
|
12 >>