Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Third Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Tremendous Weight Gain.

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I am a petite person. I was no more than 95 lbs. When I became pregnant. The doctor set a weight gain goal for me at around 30 lbs. Well I am 34 weeks pregnant and have far surpassed that goal by a wopping 15 lbs. It looks as though I may gain a total of 50-60 lbs, by the time this little guy is born. I spoke to my doctor about it & she made me cry. I eat all the time. I eat everything that I should, fruits, veggies & dairy. But my cravings are candy. Whether it be hard, chewy, chocolate or fruity. I am eating all the time! I also quit smoking which I believe is contributing to it.
I have been petite my whole life, although everyone in my family is of a rather larger side. The weight is not showing in my legs or my arms & my face is only a bit fuller than it was prepregnancy. My doctor said, "lay off the sugar", which I do agree with, but I am just curious how hard it will be to lose these extra pounds.
Has any one else gained 50 or more lbs and lost it with ease, or is that merely impossible?? I am not superficial I am just concerned & wanting to mentally prepare for what may need to be done.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 13th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Girll...I was very petite as well before conceiving and my entire family is larger than me...I was only 125 soaking wet when I conceived and i'm 5' 5....I am 29 weeks preggy and now weigh 170..

Now granted I was very underweight for my regular self, I have gained more than enough for this entire pregnancy already.

What i've been reading into is pregnancy pilates....Where you actually involve your baby in your .Pilates excercises to increase the resistance. The pilates part sounds horrible but including the baby sounds wonderful!!

Pilates always makes me fit...So i'm sure it'll help!!!

Sarah
|

replied February 13th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Me too.. I was 115 when I pregnant, and gained 65lbs...Yup..I went all the way to 180. But I lost it all....It really only took me 3-4 months... Don't worry about the weight...Focus on the baby, you'll loose it...

I know I was exactly like you, I freaked the entire time I was pregnant..For every little pound....
|

replied February 14th, 2006
Experienced User
You say you were 95 pounds, how tall are you?

I am 5'3 or so and I was 103 pounds. I have gained 30 as of today and I am 30weeks pregnant.

The reason I ask your height is because if you weighed so little then you are likely to gain more weight becase you would have been considered underweight and pregnancy makes up for those pounds that you were under.

Like your doctor said, lay off the sugar as this can complicate things. Have you had your glucose test done yet? If you are putting on too much weight because of sweets you are at a higher risk of edema and other similar complications that are dangerous for you and your child.
|

mia7 wrote:
you say you were 95 pounds, how tall are you?

I am 5'3 or so and I was 103 pounds. I have gained 30 as of today and I am 30weeks pregnant.

The reason I ask your height is because if you weighed so little then you are likely to gain more weight becase you would have been considered underweight and pregnancy makes up for those pounds that you were under.

Like your doctor said, lay off the sugar as this can complicate things. Have you had your glucose test done yet? If you are putting on too much weight because of sweets you are at a higher risk of edema and other similar complications that are dangerous for you and your child.

my sugar is fine. I received the glucose test a little while ago & everything came up normal.

I am 5'1, obviously small framed. I have been blessed my entire life to eat what I pleased without the worry of stacking on the pounds. I was spoiled, I know. I also am aware that one's metabolism begins to slow as one progresses in age. I am now 26 and just hoped that I had a few more years where I could remain 'worry-free'. Oh well, all good things much come to an end.

Is yoga considered adequate exercise??
|

Experienced User
There are special yoga classes for pregnant women. You would have to find out if they offer these in your area and get more info.

I have been eating lots my whole life without gaining any weight but now that I am pregnant the weight is staying on, but like I said, I have gained 30 pounds so far. I eat healthy though.

I hear that the weight that is hard to lose is the unhealthy weight. If you eat healthy and gain weight you are likely to lose the weight faster than if you eat a lot of junk and fatening food. A lot of the weight that a pregnant woman puts on is due to increase of water/fluids along with the weight of your baby and placenta, usually less than 10 pounds should be actual fat in her body and many of this you lose after giving birth. On the other hand, if you have put on unhealthy weight, you put on fat. Fat is harder to get rid of.
|

Experienced User
You could try walking every day until it's too hard to do it anymore. It would really help, but don't worry too much about it right now! :)
|

replied February 16th, 2006
Experienced User
I'm 5'8" and weighed 106 when I got pregnant. The doctor wanted me to gain 60-65 pounds and I thought it was impossible. But then in my first 5 weeks i'd gained 13 pounds!!! By the end I was up to 186 (80 pounds!!!). I was freaked. I've never gained weight like that in my life. But, I lost (almost) all of it.
Now my weight fluctuates between 110 and 110, usually around 113-115. I breastfed, but other than that wasn't very active (you burn a lot more calories breast feeding). I was back into a size 3 jeans when he was 4 months old. When he was 6 months old I was back in my zeros.
Once you're given the okay from your doctor to exercise again (usually after 6 weeks), if you're worried about taking it off I would suggest pilates. It's fun, weight training and cardio combined, and really works!
|

replied March 24th, 2006
I'm 5'9" and started at 160 lbs. Certainly not petit but for my size 12 frame wasn't fat at all. I have gained 60 lbs and I don't eat very much more than before, I love sweets, but up until i've been on bedrest the past month I was walking and doing pilates and lifting weights. There were 3 months in a row where I gained 10 lbs a month. Everyone says it is normal but it is really hard seeing that scale go so high when I don't really look that huge. Doctor thinks it may be from high blood pressure but i've had no swelling at all. I really hope I lose it by the end of the year. I miss my clothes!!! Sure hope the breastfeeding gets a bunch off before we can resume excercise.
|

replied March 24th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Hahahah...I started at 120 and i'm now 35 weeks preggy and have gained about 60 lbs. 2 weeks ago at my last .Dr appt I was 186. The stretchmarks are a !**@!!!!!!!

I'm sure because we're young we'll be able to lose it easily!!!

Good .Luck and don't worry about the weight...All it means is that you're hungry and want to eat!! Which is better than being sick and vomiting the entire pregnancy!!

Sarah
|

replied March 24th, 2006
Experienced User
babymajic0506 wrote:
hahahah...I started at 120 and i'm now 35 weeks preggy and have gained about 60 lbs. 2 weeks ago at my last .Dr appt I was 186. The stretchmarks are a !**@!!!!!!!

I'm sure because we're young we'll be able to lose it easily!!!

Good .Luck and don't worry about the weight...All it means is that you're hungry and want to eat!! Which is better than being sick and vomiting the entire pregnancy!!

Sarah

don't rely on losing it quickly because you're young, though!! My friend was a size 2 when she got pregnant. Very petite, she's 4'9". She's now in a size 10/12 and her daughter is 18 months old. It really just depends on the person how fast you're able to lose it.
|

replied March 24th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Right right...I'm guessing determination is a huge factor as well!! I bought a .D.V.D that involves your baby with your pilate excercises.

You will have to pry me away from the screen!! My baby will be doing sit ups by the time she's 3 months!! Lol....The excercises are a great bonding experience...It's similar to baby yoga....

Sarah
|