Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

Please Help Me Identify Bug Bites (Page 1)

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
I've been getting these bug bites in the past little while. They look like flea bites, itch like crazy and last for several days. I have no pets. I have so far gotten bites around my abdomen and hips, on my arms and wrists, once on my hand. I usually get only one bite every few days, or sometimes every 2 weeks or so. This has been going on for some time now (several months?). I have checked my bed carefully (and vacuumed it, washed sheets in hot water, etc.) and don't see any signs of bed bugs (blood, droppings or bugs themselves). I have read that bed bugs are usually visible. I am guessing that if they are fleas or bed bugs, they would have multiplied by now to the point of visibility (for bed bugs) or more bites more often.. But I still only get one every few days or so.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing these bites? Are they common house spiders (i have seen a few in my house before)? Do spider bites itch like this and look like flea bites? I thougth spider bites might be more like stings though?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Suzees
|

replied November 20th, 2006
Mites
Laughing Crying or Very sad the funnyiest thing to cry about is there are many forms of mites out there that will cling on to a human host. If you can not see them than they are most likely in the parisite family and they can be annowwing. The best thing is permethrin cream it kills all types of arthropods.
|

replied July 26th, 2007
I Can't Sleep
Lately, when me and my boyfriend go to lay down at night, we get these bites all over our bodies all through the night. Sometimes it wakes us up out of our sleep, but when we look to see if we can identify them we don't see anything. It's driving us crazy. Now our roomate has 3 cats and we just recently had a flea infestation, that were just now getting in control. But the bites we get at night sometimes has a burning sensation, and they go away within a few hours. we've tried numerous sprays, we had an exterminator come out, as well as treated the carpets, and washed all clothes and bedding and still we have this issue. They look like mosquito bites, then sometimes they look like flea bites. Please what can I do? Crying or Very sad
|

replied August 2nd, 2007
I Can't Sleep Either...
I am having the same problem as EACrazy. The bites look like mosquito bites, and I will get several of them over the course of the night (they also wake me up and have a burning sensation--it is literally as if a section of my body is on fire). I live alone and have never had pets. (It is an old building with old hardwood floors, however.)

Is it possible these are bedbugs? I sealed off the mattress and put double-sided tape around the side, which has so far only collected dust. has anyone else had this problem?
|

replied August 10th, 2007
Kleen Green Is the Only Way to Stop the Mites
Get Kleen Green If You Want THis problem to, stop. Unfortunately, I had a website support team member, e-mail me and told me I can't advertise, but I'm not I actually used the product and think it could help u guys so um yeah support team guy, GO TO HELL. I want to help these people and if you don't then somebody should be able to. If you need more info just e-mail me. Thank You.
|

replied February 11th, 2009
Sure tired of waking to the sting!
I have the same problem, I've been on the net now for 7 hours trying to figure out what's biting me in the night. It hurts!No sign of bugs at all. Even the doc didnt know what it is. Tried the permethrin 3 times. I see a tiny red dot sometimes and other times I scratch and it gets infected. My head hurts from scratching,my arms and back too. Nothing gets rid of it!In my ears too.I keep using Tinactin for the itching. I will try the Kleen Green and let you know, it's been two years now and I'm commitable!Flea powder doesnt work either.
|

replied March 25th, 2009
My boyfirend and I live together. He has been getting awful bites during the night. They look like mosquito or bed bug bites but I have not had even one yet. And I have not noticed my dog, who also shares our bed, scratching more than usual. What could be biting him, but not us?
|

replied May 8th, 2009
If you are getting bitten at night than it is bed bugs. I have had the same problem. I was getting bitten but my husband was'nt. it took us nearly 5 months and than one night my dog went crazy scratching and trying to get away from something and when we started looking to see what was wrong we found bed bugs. I finally stopped sleeping in the bedroom. When we moved my husband took apart the bed and found a nest of bed bugs behind the headboard.
|

replied July 10th, 2009
Insect Bites !! What is it??
I think we all are having issues this year with insect bites because of the extreme drout and heat in Texas. I have had the same thing for 7 days. I've bought everythings under the sun at the drug store and the only thing that works is Calamine (although it makes you look stupid). It makes you feel much better no matter what the insect is. Lets all move to Maine.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
Bug Bite
i got bitten by something recently, it's a rather large angry welt and it's VERY itchy- it's just red and itchy, o puss no purple or blue- so i'm not worried about it being anything poisonous- it's been there for a few days now and it's not showing any signs of going away, even after bakingsoda and aloe vera treatments. I'm guessing mosquito or flea (since the house is covered in fleas, but usually their bites aren't this big and dont itch... halp? T_T
|

replied December 10th, 2009
Little bug bites at night.
I too am being bitten, at night and I KNOW it is not Bed Bugs. I have throwly inspected my bed, sheets, the frame, corners of the walls, floors etc. I think it is some kind of mite that is sooo small, it cant be seen with the naked eye. I have moved and have a new bed and am still being bitten 3-4 times a week.
|

replied January 8th, 2012
I may have found a solution if you're still being plagued. I just posted my own experience on this forum if you'd like to read it. Hopefully your problem has been resolved since two years.
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2012
help bug bites
I have many bites. Like on my legs arms and this weird bump thing on my left hand. I get new bites at night. I dont know what is biting me. My mom says i have fleas or bedbugs. I want to get rid of them but i cant see anything. I am super scared. Help! I haave changed my bed sheets. The more i scratch, the more bitees there seems to be. They seem to be just appearing. Nobody else is being bitten in the house. Help please!
|

replied February 19th, 2010
Scabies
Hey Guys sorry to tell you but I think I know what you all got. It sounds to me like scabies. I just recently had scabies. you dont notice the bites or even start to itch until a couple weeks after you have been bitten, the are a form of mites, and you cant get rid of them with out getting a perscription lotion from the doctor and then you have to wash everything in hot water. the itch like hell and it gets worse at night and when your really warm. they like to start in your armpits on your wrists and hand around your groin and your inner thighs and your waist but they usually dont appear on your face. I hope I was helpful but remember you HAVE TO GO TO THE DOCTOR TO GET RIDE OF THEM
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
PLEASE HELP
Hi live in the bronx and I am losing my mind with these bites. I feel them bite me more when I sit around my computer area.The bit marks last for about a few min and then goes away. I have turn my apartment upside down and find no BEDBUGS,and when bitten its only bit I find. I feel things crawling on me for a while then it stop and start again. please can some one help me?! Ihave no pet and have not brought things into the house. HELP
|

replied December 4th, 2011
bites while sitting ? check all chairs, even you car!
HI Nikky, I had my apt. treated for bedbugs for a 2nd time and that very afternoon I went to my computer and felt something bite me. I inspected the chair and @ close examination saw eggs & 1 bedbug that quickly went back into the seam of my computer chair! I threw it out immeditately! and called the exterminater to tell them what I found. I was very upset as they told me they found no evidence of bb in that room.
Stangly enough, Im still being bit. I have sprayed my car too. I am only getting bit on my butt and back and I never notice getting bit in bed. My skin is crawling . Im obsessed with trying to figure this problem out. Have you had any luck with your problem?
|

HI Nikky, I had my apt. treated for bedbugs for a 2nd time and that very afternoon I went to my computer and felt something bite me. I inspected the chair and @ close examination saw eggs & 1 bedbug that quickly went back into the seam of my computer chair! I threw it out immeditately! and called the exterminater to tell them what I found. I was very upset as they told me they found no evidence of bb in that room.
Stangly enough, Im still being bit. I have sprayed my car too. I am only getting bit on my butt and back and I never notice getting bit in bed. My skin is crawling . Im obsessed with trying to figure this problem out. Have you had any luck with your problem?
|

replied June 18th, 2012
This might be your problem too.
I have the exact same symptons as all of you, and one day I bought a bug strip and put it in my bathroom and 2 days later I started to see little almost microscopic bugs slowly moving on my bathroom counter. I stuck one to scotch tape and looked at it on my microscope and it was the strangest looking bug..I looked all over the interenet and found something that looked exactly like it. It was thrips. They are microscopic and hairy and have wings. The smaller ones did not have wings. I waited a few days and found more of them. One was combed out of my hair. I'm wondering if this might be some of our problems. I still cant figure out how to rid them. They say Ladybugs eat them.
|

|

|

replied January 8th, 2012
Nikky, are you still having this issue? If so, I've posted my own experience on this forum with a possible solution that might help.
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2012
I still need help. I cant sleep
|

replied June 18th, 2012
Hi teena. I'm having the same problem that the others are having. I can't find your post and possible solution. Can you help?
|

replied March 26th, 2010
I've the same problem. The bites appears suddenly when i'm walking or sleeping yet i don't find any insects.
Its been bothering me for coming 1 month. The creams i apllied made them dissapear yet new ones appear...
|

replied April 1st, 2012
What cream made them disappear? I only get them while visiting one house. Have checked for bed bugs with nothing showing up. I am assuming they are spider bites. Very itchy! I heard bed bugs bite extremities first, face hands feet, mine were on my stomach and legs mostly, upper legs.q
|

replied April 26th, 2010
CAmping now itchy bites appear out of no where???
I went camping with my boyfriend and i noticed 2 bites on my ankles so i ignored it thinking it was just a mosquito bite but i go to sleep wake up and i have bites on my hands and arms and behind my ears and on my neck my boyfriend is COVERED in bites all down his arms and legs so we threw out everything we took camping came to visit his mom and were still getting bit and dont have anything we own in his moms house everything stays in the car could it be chiggers?? ANY IDEAS PLEASE HELP THE ITCHY People
|

replied April 30th, 2010
not bed bugs
I also have something biting me at night. My dogs don''t see affected by whatever is biting me either. Also my roommate hasn''t had any problems with any biting. I generally get the bites on my thighs and arms. I''ve tried washing everything in my room and I''ve even stayed with friends for over a week hoping that what ever it is will be gone. And I know it''s not bed bugs because a friend of mine had those almost a year ago and the bites are not the same at all. I read on another site that household windex can help so I''m going to try that too.
|

replied May 10th, 2010
mysterious bug bites on one sleeping partner
Is anyone looking at these posts? So many with the same issue, me too, and we need an answer. What are these things?
|

replied June 18th, 2012
I found thrips under microscope. Some do bite people and are very fast. They crawl, jump and fly.
|

replied May 17th, 2010
Bites all over an no bugs.
I'm looking for answers too! I've tried mouthwash, nail polish remover, alcohol and vic's vapor rub with no results. I'm going mad! They look like mosquito bites but can be very big and they are going all over my body! Mainly on my back, butt and thighs. Went to the doc and they were perplexed and gave me a steriod ointment today. Help!
|

replied May 21st, 2010
I have the same problem and it's been going on since the middle of the winter. I had pest control check for bedbugs and they found nothing. I even had the bedbug sniffing dog come through and he found none. I've never seen any evidence of bedbugs like their feces or blood on the sheets and I check the sheets during the night when I get up. Never seen a thing. Doctor is stumped--gave me steroid cream and antihistamine for the itching. I have glue boards in my room--and double sided tape around the bedframe--nothing. Making me crazy--help!!
|

replied August 2nd, 2010
I am having the same problem, getting bitten on the arms, hands and lower leg and now this morning I Woke with bites on my lower back! It is driving me mad, my partner does not get bitten....I have changed the mattress, all the bedding, and boil washed the duvet......dies anyone have any ideas?
|