Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Ortho Tricyclen Lo And Acne? (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I know that ortho tricyclen helps acne, but I got put on lo (b/c im "small") I went to their website and when someone questioned its effects on acne, it said it had not been studied for the treatment of acne. Does anyone take it that has acne and personally saw improvements, b/c thats the only reason I specifically asked for ortho tricyclen in the first place.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nchealth12
|

replied February 14th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Re: Ortho Tricyclen Lo And Acne?
kel67 wrote:
i know that ortho tricyclen helps acne, but I got put on lo (b/c im "small") I went to their website and when someone questioned its effects on acne, it said it had not been studied for the treatment of acne. Does anyone take it that has acne and personally saw improvements, b/c thats the only reason I specifically asked for ortho tricyclen in the first place.

i totally saw improvement; just keep up on cleaning it like you normally do. Do you have any doctor prescribed acne washes or gels? I know I have about a hundreed; those damn doctors tried everything. I just never kept up on it; and the pills they put me on one time made me so sick to my stomach!

Then, last summer, I went in for yet another dermatology appt. I'm 21, btw. My doctor said: "here is one last thing we can try. It is very powerful, and you will need to be on two forms of birth control (ortho-lo and condoms for example) because you absolutely cannot get pregnant while on this stuff! It will seriously deform the baby! Also... A couple of teens have commited suicide while taking it."

terror!! I actually thought about taking this, for several days! I set up my pap smear to get on bcps, because you have to be on those for a month before you can start these face pills. But, during that month, I washed my face religiously!! The washing accompanied by ortho lo cleared me up; and so I never went on the scary face pills!
|

replied February 24th, 2009
tri cyclen lo and acne
I am supposed to start taking otc lo on sunday for the first time,,i have mooderate acne,and the doctor said it would help....has anyone seen a ddifference in their skin from ofc lo??
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
ortho tri cyclen lo and acne
I have moderate acne and my skin got worse for the first two cycles on ortho tri-lo. Now i'm on my third pill pack and its finally improving....getting almost clear. The progestin (norgestimate) in ortho tri lo is the same as in the regular ortho tri-cyclen so it should have the same or similar beneficial effects.
|

replied July 12th, 2009
yaz vs. ortho lo
I have been off birth control for a year and I was previously on yaz. my skin cleared up completely with yaz but I had horrible mood swings. Is there anyone who switched from yaz to ortho lo and still had the same skin benefits?
|

replied November 21st, 2009
I was on OTC-LO for about a year, i had moderate acne before going on the pill and when I went on it, it cleared up my skin completely within 3 months. I took it for about a year, and then it started to lose its effectiveness with keeping my skin clear. I have been off of it for 6 months and recently started taking Tri-Lo-Sprintec(the generic) to see if it will help my skin clear up. I am on the last week of this pack, and am very discouraged. My forehead is completely clear but the side of my cheeks/jawline is severely broken out in cystic acne. The whole reason im on the pill is for it to clear up my skin, im going to try another month of tri lo sprintec but if i dont see improvements i will definitely switch back to OTC-LO...has anyone had similar experiences?
|

replied January 4th, 2010
I'm 20 and I've been on ortho tricyclen- lo for about a year and now have cystic acne on my cheeks and jawline that I didnt have before...Idk if I should switch birth control or ifits my skin care regimine-the clean and clear system. Anyone else have any advice?
|

replied January 6th, 2010
OTC-LO greatly helped with my acne, when I took it regularly at the same time. I have found that birth control does not usually help with cystic acne - actually, the ONLY thing that I've found that has helped with that is a pill from the dermatologist.
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
Ortho tryclin lo
just about to start ortho tri lo, ill tell you how it goes. im sad cause i wanted the reg not the lo, as i heard tahts the one that really helps with your skin, but i suppose will just have to wait and see and maybe this will help too... ?

btw, i took Aviane b4, no help with skin. same o same o. and killed my sex drive. ..and gave me heavy spotting.

since the doc. didnt want to prescribe me with reg. ortho tri, i asked for Yaz since its been proven to help w/ acne..
only been on it for 4-5 days, skins doing ok, but im sure it will take a full month or two to really tell..
however scary part is im getting weird small muscels spasims in my upper left leg..
and little pinches of pain here n there in my body..not sure if its in my head or not tho..like if im exageratting the amount of pain its causing just cause i heard
about yaz causing blod clots..we'll see i suppose..?
|

replied May 12th, 2010
Yaz and skin
i have now been on Yaz for more than 3 months and everythings just as it should be :] much better skin , after 3 weeks no more spasims, and no extra bleeding except reg time of month. im pretty thin, dont smoke, and eat decently healthy
|

replied May 13th, 2010
it is not specifically tested for acne yet all birth control are known to help with acne. I am currently on that birth control for the same reason. My acne got alot worse. I have been on it for 5 months now and slowly starting to see resualts although i started my pill mid cycle. I also have been getting my period for 2 weeks every month. The pill could just not be working well with my body.
|

replied June 13th, 2010
Ortho Tri cyclen lo & YAZ
Okay so im 21 & I have tried ortho tri cyclen lo and yaz.First off im 5'4 and weigh 108. I was on ortho tri cyclen in high school and I had flawless skin never broke out just needed something to help my periods.. I was on this for about 2 years and I cant remember why i stopped taking it the first time but I did.. After I graduated I started being sexually active & I knew i needed to be back on something so I decided I would try yaz. BAD MISTAKE! I know it helps w/ acne its great for that But im already tiny and this stuff made me extremely angry and im a happy bubbly person. It made me very bi-polar it seemed like. I couldnt eat or smell any food or I would get sick. I lost alot of weight. I had no energy. My hair was falling out! MIGHT I ADD I HAVE BEAUTIFUL CURLY THICK HAIR! I just was crying and depressed when I was on yaz.. IT would be good for someone overweight w/ acne I think.. or having issues losing weight bc all my friends have tried yaz and they lost weight too and had to be taken off it. So now im back on ortho tri cyclen lo- my doctor said since im little the lo might not make me feel as sick as the reg ortho tri cyclen. & both have the same amount of stuff to help acne my doctor said so you get the same benifit.
|

replied July 7th, 2010
skin and ortho tri cyclen lo
I was on trinessa which helped clear my skin alot but put made me have terrible mood swings. I switched to ortho tri cyclen lo and broke out the first two weeks but have now almost cleared up completely. I also started washing my face with just water. And any little pimple I use spot treatment. I see a difference. My dermatologist told me that the face doesn't need anymore attention then the rest of the body. This is why I started just washing with water or sometimes a simple soap. Big difference guys!
|

replied October 3rd, 2010
OTC-Lo CAUSED my cystic acne. I was on it for a year and before that had relatively small breakouts only around that time of the month. On OTC-Lo I would keep breaking out - one right after the other, and it was horribly painful cystic acne right on my chin area. After I stopped taking it for a couple months my skin cleared right up within the first week but then I had to go back on it and had the worst break out I've ever had. 4 cystic acne pimples all within the same area. As soon as they deflated, I would have maybe two days rest before another 2 popped up. This happened week after week for about two months before my self-esteem got so low and the acne was so out of control (my family was commenting on it) that I knew I had to try a different pill. I went on Yasmin 3 weeks ago and it had relatively immediate effects. I had three leftover cystic pimples from OTC-Lo, which took awhile to go away but within 1.5 weeks of being on Yasmin, I didn't have a single new pimple.

If you've never had cystic acne before taking OTC-Lo, I highly recommend finding a new BCP.
|

replied October 29th, 2010
Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo cured my acne!! so far...
I am interested in knowing how old everyone is who is experiencing cystic acne on their cheeks and jawline. I personally do not think that OTC Lo is causing the acne... I think it is age related. I was on The Depo shot from the time I was 21 till 27 and at about 23 I started getting acne on my cheeks for the first time EVER!!!! Seriously I had maybe had one blemish every few months up until that point. I am now on my 3rd week of OTC Lo and my skin is almost totally CLEAR Smile So either the depo shot caused the severe acne or it was adult onset acne and this pill has finally made me feel normal again, like I will go to work without foundation on... Just bronzer and eye make-up (I am a hairstylist so I need to look polished) and I can't begin to explain how amazing this feels...
|

replied March 16th, 2011
Ortho Tri-cyclen lo to Ortho tri-cyclen
I was on Ortho tri-cyclen lo for 3 months and my skin was doing great, then I was switched to the full dose hormone Orth Tri-Cyclen which i have been on for 6 months, and my skin has never been so awful! I have cystic acne on both cheeks and along my jaw-line. It is embarrassing for me to even go out in public.
|

replied June 8th, 2011
5 years time
I started taking OTC-LO when i was about 15 and it worked perfectly. my skin was relatively flawless except for a few small, manageable break-outs once a month. i took the pill for 5 years without a problem and then decided to stop. things were okay for a few months, but then my face broke out HORRIBLY. so now i've switched back to OTC-LO and i've been taking it for a little over a week, and my skin has been clearing up but now i have a few awful, CYSTIC pimples on my cheek near my nose. i've never had a cystic pimple, just mild ones, so i'm really freaked out that it's going to spread. Sad i don't know what's up with that... but i'm trying to wait it out...
|

replied June 17th, 2011
i started taking ortho-novum 7/7/7 when i was 16, and my face cleared up tremendously. i still broke out occasionally, but they were smaller and just a couple pimples here and there. i switched to OTC lo a few months ago (i'm currently 20, by the way) due to the fact that i was off of the first one for a few months and felt much, much better than ever being on birth control. however, after the first 2 months on OTC, i noticed that my face was breaking out a lot around my chin and mouth, which had never happened before like this. it's constantly red and bumpy. i just finished month three, and i'm seriously considering switching back to ortho-novum because this is horrible and really starting to lower my self-esteem. i don't know how much longer i want to wait.
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
im 20 and since i started taking ortho tri cyclen lo i have got all this acne on my face!! i went from having none to my face blowing up smh..any suggestions of what i should do???????
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
im 20 and since i started taking ortho tri cyclen lo i have got all this acne on my face!! i went from having none to my face blowing up smh..any suggestions of what i should do???????
|
12 >>