Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Swollen Node On Arm

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
I hope somebody can help me out with this.

I found a lump on my arm this weekend. Not under my arm, but actually above the bicep in my right arm, on the side that's facing away from my body. I'd never noticed this before, and was pretty freaked out. It's hard, about the size of a pea, but doesn't hurt.

I went to the doctor on monday and told him what i'd discovered. He felt my arm and said it was a swollen lymph node. He didn't seem overly concerned, and asked me if I had a cat. I told him I do, and actually have been scratched (and bitten) pretty badly several times in the last few weeks. I tend to rough-house with my cat a lot, and she really scratched me hard a few times, and has managed on more than one again to really sink her teeth into me.

So, the doctor suggested that I may have cat-scratch disease, and he prescribed 1500mg of azithromycin. This was monday. The swelling and pain on my cat scratches has gone down a bit, but the lymph node is as swollen as before and maybe more so.

I have no other swollen lymph nodes on my body.

My question: should I be overly concerned about this? I am really worried about cancer here, and am freaking out a little. I have an appointment to see the doctor again on the 27th, but in the mean time...Does this sound all that serious???
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lz7274
|

replied August 16th, 2006
Cat Scratch Fever? Need Help
I have a thyroid problem and think I may have cat scratch fever..I have a lump on my right bicep which was bruised but bruise is fading and lump is there..Please let me know what I can do asap..Thanks
|

replied February 21st, 2008
that makes 'purr'fect sense!
Interesting

I was playing with my kitten yesterday..and he is getting stronger by the day, he actually bit and scratched me by playing. It wasnt the scratch that caused my swollen lymph (because at least one a week i get scratched, but never bites) so yesterday i got a bite from my cat, and I am sure that is the cause of my swollen lymph!
|