Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

I Don't Think It's Hemorrhoids

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
As I am somewhat obsessive compulsive, I have always been an "excessive wiper" after using the restroom. Sometimes I would wipe to the point where my anus would become a little irritated, but I suppose it wasn't anything too serious. Eventually, I began scratching my anus very intensely while I was sleeping, and when I would wake up, I would find my boxers to have dark streaks in them. Like you, I initially thought I had messed myself in my sleep, but I later decided that it was not feces, but rather, it was blood from scratching. This became very annoying and it eventually began to hurt when I used the restroom, even to the point where it will bleed a little from time to time. I eventually found that if I slept naked, I would not scratch in my sleep, and when I didn't scratch, my anus problem seemed to improve. Unfortunately, I began playing with the area in my sleep again, even when I was sleeping in the nude. I do not scratch it very hard, just rub it a little until I eventually wake up. This has been going on for several months and does not seem to come and go as hemorrhoids are said to. Finally, I worked up the courage to bust out a mirror and check out my rear. To my surprise, I did not see the purple bump I had expected to see. Rather, leading into my anus, there is a little cut, almost like a crack inside my butt crack. I do not know what it is, and I wonder if the cut may not be healing because my feces continues to infect it and prevent it from healing when I poop. Does anyone have any ideas? It does not hurt when I sit, stand, or walk. It may itch for a second very seldomly, but I wonder if it is because I cannot wipe properly because of my sore. I have also considered it being some sort of internal hemorrhoid that I read about, but I could not find any pictures. Please, any suggestions would help greatly. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper brentkooler
|

replied November 6th, 2006
Re: I Don't Think It's Hemorrhoids
brentkooler wrote:
as I am somewhat obsessive compulsive, I have always been an "excessive wiper" after using the restroom. Sometimes I would wipe to the point where my anus would become a little irritated, but I suppose it wasn't anything too serious. Eventually, I began scratching my anus very intensely while I was sleeping, and when I would wake up, I would find my boxers to have dark streaks in them. Like you, I initially thought I had messed myself in my sleep, but I later decided that it was not feces, but rather, it was blood from scratching. This became very annoying and it eventually began to hurt when I used the restroom, even to the point where it will bleed a little from time to time. I eventually found that if I slept naked, I would not scratch in my sleep, and when I didn't scratch, my anus problem seemed to improve. Unfortunately, I began playing with the area in my sleep again, even when I was sleeping in the nude. I do not scratch it very hard, just rub it a little until I eventually wake up. This has been going on for several months and does not seem to come and go as hemorrhoids are said to. Finally, I worked up the courage to bust out a mirror and check out my rear. To my surprise, I did not see the purple bump I had expected to see. Rather, leading into my anus, there is a little cut, almost like a crack inside my butt crack. I do not know what it is, and I wonder if the cut may not be healing because my feces continues to infect it and prevent it from healing when I poop. Does anyone have any ideas? It does not hurt when I sit, stand, or walk. It may itch for a second very seldomly, but I wonder if it is because I cannot wipe properly because of my sore. I have also considered it being some sort of internal hemorrhoid that I read about, but I could not find any pictures. Please, any suggestions would help greatly. Thank you.

i have almost the exact same symptoms, right down to the "cut." I heard Dr. Drew mention "worms" with regard to anal itching so I did some research. I turned up the pinworm. Http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/pinworm

i planned on talking to a doctor about this but decided to just hit the pharmacy and see what happens. The fact that I itch a night, big time, leads me to believe it's worms.

Gross.
|

replied November 25th, 2006
If indeed you do have worms, you might wanna try doing some parasite cleansing to get rid of them. Simply go down to ur local health store and get some wormwood herbs. Or you can simply buy a commercial product. Either way, cleansing is the only way to get rid of this problem. It doesn't sound like u have hemorrhoids, that's for sure
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2006
Experienced User
What does this have to do with acne? Laughing j/k.

I have had that same problem from time to time. I myself am an excessive wiper and will get itchy anus syndrome from time to time. I find that it goes away from 1-7 days and usually follows burning stools. I have also found blood in my stool and believe I may have internal hemmi's.
|

replied June 29th, 2009
It would seem to me that you have a condition that is known as pruritus ani basically translates to itchy anus.
Pruritus ani means a chronic (persistent) itchy feeling around the anus. The main symptom is an urge to scratch your anus which is difficult to resist. The urge to scratch may occur at any time. However, it tends to be more common after you have been to the toilet to pass faeces, and at night (particularly just before falling asleep). The itch may be made worse by heat, wool, moisture, leaking, soiling, stress, and anxiety.
About 1 in 20 people develop pruritus ani at some stage. It is common in both adults and children.

This is a common situation. The following tips often help to stop the itch.

Avoid any potential irritants
Stop using scented soaps, bubble bath, perfume, etc, near the anus.
Use plain, non-coloured toilet tissue. Wipe your anus gently after passing faeces.
Could any foods or medicines be causing the itch? Try avoiding for a while the foods and drinks listed above (such as fruits and tomatoes). Do you take laxatives regularly? Some may be leaking onto the anal skin.

Pay special attention to hygiene around the anus
Wash the anus after going to the toilet to pass faeces. The aim is to clear any remnant of faeces which may irritate the skin.
When washing around the anus it is best to use water only. If you use soap, use bland non-scented soap.
When you are not at home, use a moistened cloth or a special moistened tissue to clean the anus. You can buy moistened tissues from pharmacies.
Bath or shower daily. If possible, wash the anus with water only. If you use soap around the anus, rinse well.
Change your underwear daily.

Avoid excessive moisture around the anus
After washing, dry around the anus properly by patting gently (rather than rubbing) with a soft towel. Even better, use a hair dryer, especially if your anal skin is hairy.
Do not put on underwear until the anus is fully dry.
Wear loose cotton underwear (not nylon). Avoid wearing tight fitting trousers. If possible, do not sit for long periods, and try not to get too hot. The aim is to allow air to get to the anus as much as possible, and for it not to get too sweaty.
If you sweat and moisture gathers around your anus, put a tissue in your underwear to absorb the moisture.

Consider the 'itch-scratch cycle'
Scratching can make the itch worse - which makes you want to scratch more, etc.
As much as possible, try not to scratch. This is especially difficult at night when the itch tends to be worse when you are trying to get to sleep.
You may also scratch in your sleep without realising. To help this:
Keep your fingernails short to limit any damage done to the skin by scratching.
Consider wearing cotton gloves at night to prevent sharp scratching with fingernails.
An antihistamine medicine that makes you drowsy may be worth a try at bedtime. Your doctor will advise.
|

replied August 14th, 2011
hemorroids itch at night
I have to share my "miracle" solution that has been such a blessing to me. For the last 3 months my external hemorroids drove me crazy at night, ointments made it worse. The salves and ointments "melt" into the vaginal area, and added to the problem so that I also had a reaction from "down there" (seepage). It was a terrible, vicious cycle, sometimes I'd just sit and cry at night. In a desperate moment I applied a dab of calamine lotion with a cotton ball and also applied to all the other itchy ares down there. The calamine lotion coats and dries the entire area,soothing the burn, deadening the itch, and leaving everything cooled and dry. Make sure the Calamine lotion you buy has 8% calamine, and 8% zinc oxide. Also, insert a moistened (KY jelly) tampon at night to block any vaginal secretions from seeping onto the rhoids. I can tell you this - I am ecstatic, my itching is finally gone. Please, please try this and see.
|

replied March 28th, 2012
It might be tinea cruris. (It may be a funny sounding name, but it's not a laughing matter.)
|