Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

147/97 Bad?

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
I'm 22, and I went to try and become a police officer. While I am overweight admittedly, i'm not morbidly obese.

The physician there told me I had high blood pressure and that I needed to go to a doctor. He said it wasn't deadly yet, but it was bad. Only thing is, I don't have insurance, nor the 109$ the doctor wants, just for the visit alone.

That's not counting, the prescription he might give me for however much that would cost.

I was really hungry today...And, I ate a...Uh...*feels ashamed* practically a whole pizza by myself. (minus one slice.)

afterwards, I started freaking out because I read that just 1/5th of the pizza had 860 mg of sodium.

So I waited a while and forced down some oatmeal, a vitamin c, and e, and multiple vitamin tablet...And drank a bunch of orange juice that had alot of potassium in it.

I did all of this, because i'm scared that i'm gonna die now.

What should I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 14th, 2006
Experienced User
Hello, I read what you wrote and felt the need to write you. I am a slim 32 year old woman who three months ago suffered a minor stroke. I had no idea that I was at risk. I always thought people who suffered that kind of stuff were in their 60's but I was fooled.
I am now on a strick diet that means no caffeine (the first two months is very bad but it gets better) and cut my sugar intake in half. I started to exercise and my heart rate was 103 now it is a steady 80.
I now go take my blood pressure everyday and write it down and because of my daily fast paced walking I have healthy blood pressure 104/65. I know how you feel but start off small like I did. I cut out soda's and then started to monitor my sodium intake. I then would take short walks but allow yourself to enjoy too. I love snicker bars and allow one, if i'm good, once a week.

It starts with you!! Your health is why you are here-without it you can see that it get's bad.

Good luck and one step at a time
|

replied February 22nd, 2007
Re: 147/97 Bad?
C0nfus3d_Ab0ut_L1f3,

Hello

I noticed your posting today, (and although it is over a year since it was published) I felt compelled to reply.

The positive I can draw from your post is that you are very fortunate that you have been allerted to your condition, now.
I bet you there are thousands of 22 / 23 year olds with hypertension who are oblivious to the fact and will probably discover it 5, 10, 20 years down the road.

You have a good chance of kerbing or even eliminating it early in your life.

I hope you have got something started to alleviate your BP in this time.......

At your age (or indeed any age) it is perhaps not a bad thing for you to have a good DASH type of diet and a daily exercise regime as a first line of defence for repelling your high BP.

High BP does not always have to be confusing.
For you, it may just be your body's way of telling you that you need to change some of your habits that are conducive to hypertension.

Let us know how you are coping.

Bilal
|