Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

a Baby And School

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Im 17 and pregnant. Im happy that im having a baby but im worried about school. I completed high school but i've always dreamed of going to university. Has anyone had to deal with this? What did you do? If you went to school, how old was your child? Was it hard? Please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 12th, 2003
Experienced User
Help
Well I haven't done that before but you can still have your child and go to university my friends mom used to take her kids with her during university! Or theres night school type thing - or you can take it over the internet there are lots of choices. Hope it helped Wink good luck!
|

Thanks
Thanks so much. It makes me feel better knowing I can still get on with my life. My mom and my aunts all had children young but none of them ever went back to school so I had no one to ask. Thanks again!
|

Experienced User
Yes anything is possible. Sweetheart. U are young, u shouldnt have to be tied down. Even if u have a child, that does not mean u cant do anything else.

But........The reality is that a child is a huge reponsibilty, and a child needs 24/7 care! So are u ready for that?

It is tough to go to college and have to take care ur baby at the same time. And the internet courses? I dont recommand it. Why? Coz most likely if you are at home and taking care of your baby, u are super tired most of the time, and wouldnt do ur school work for one day, and then comes the second time, third...Etc...U do the math.

My suggestion is that unless u have super strong will power and strength, I think it's real real real tough. And unless ur family or the baby's dad will help, if u are a single mom, it's very tough.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I Dont Agree!!
I dont agree with hong kong chick....I am a teen mother and I am still in high school...I am going to college in january...If the father is around you and him need to work something out. I live with family and attend school during the day and my bf watches him. My son goes to daycare for 1 hour while my bf goes to work and then I pick him up. If I can do it at 16 you can do it better!! Good luck!

Aol sn: mesmerizeu15

stacie
|

Experienced User
Re: a Baby And School
lyingdownalone wrote:
im 17 and pregnant. Im happy that im having a baby but im worried about school. I completed high school but i've always dreamed of going to university. Has anyone had to deal with this? What did you do? If you went to school, how old was your child? Was it hard? Please help!

i am completely against what hongkongchick says. I am a mom of a 4 year old. I didn't have her as young as you... But your opportunities in life, if you are strong willed do not change. There are actually bonuses to having a child and going to a univ. Most colleges require you claim your parents income until the age of 25. For most young adults, this isn't feesable as most don't live with their parents until that age. If your parents have a high income it makes it very hard to get financial aid. If you meet certain criteria however, you may use your own income. You also qualify for married/parental housing which is usually much nicer than dorms which you are required to live in for the first year. You will also get help with daycare. I'm not saying this is a bonus and have a child to get a free/lower priced education, but certainly don't give up your goals and dreams due to a child. You cannot better your life, or the life of your child with no education. I strongly commend your will to do better for both of you.

Good luck with everything and keep your head up! Laughing
|

Thanks!
Thanks so much mesmerizeu15 and trevino61601 ! You've given me great hope. I am a single mom but my family is willing to help me out. I guess i'll wait until my child is atleast a year old before I apply to a university. Im happy to know that it is possible to be a mom and a student! Thanks sooo much!
|

Experienced User
How far along are you? If it is early in your pregnancy you should try to get some credits in before the stress hits. Wink just an idea. Keep me posted! If you ever need to talk....
|

replied August 13th, 2003
Experienced User
hongkongchick wrote:

my suggestion is that unless u have super strong will power and strength, I think it's real real real tough. And unless ur family or the baby's dad will help, if u are a single mom, it's very tough.

i just wanna point out that what I said was pretty much what others said. Reread this and u will know I mean that if u have family and the baby's dad's help, it is possible...

I think some ppl need to reread what others said before making judgements.
|

replied August 14th, 2003
Experienced User
hongkongchick wrote:
hongkongchick wrote:

my suggestion is that unless u have super strong will power and strength, I think it's real real real tough. And unless ur family or the baby's dad will help, if u are a single mom, it's very tough.

i just wanna point out that what I said was pretty much what others said. Reread this and u will know I mean that if u have family and the baby's dad's help, it is possible...

I think some ppl need to reread what others said before making judgements.

our point is you don't need anyone's help; parents, the father, etc. If you have a goal in life you can accomplish it all on your own, with or without a child! Women do it everyday!!!
|

replied August 15th, 2003
It Is Sooooo Doable
I had a son while I was in college, and quit for a while. But, I went back and got my bs. It can be done. I know there are so many out there who have done it better than me. Use everyone and everything you need to. This is not only important for you, but for your childs future. I also beleive that the best time to go to college is right now. Don't wait or I fear that you will never go. Life just sometimes seems to get in the way and our futures change forever. For me it was nice because my son doesn't remember that time. It was hard because my parents who were wonderful lived 2.5 hrs. Away and I had no one there to help me. I did it on my own. Looking back I don't know how I did it. If I can do it, anyone can.

Laura
|

replied August 16th, 2003
Thank
Thanks eveyone for all of your advice. I was afraid that I wasnt going to be able to go to university or college being 17 and 3months pregnant. Its good to know because I really do want the best future for me and my child. :d you're all the best!

Thanks
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile