Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Upper left shoulder and rib pain

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I am a 26 yr old female.For the last 2 1/2 years I have been in constant agony. Everytime I inhale I get a sharp pain under my left shoulder blade that radiates down through my ribs. Also sometimes when I breath in my spine and ribs will pop. I also have alot of neck stiffness, and everytime I rotate my neck right to left it pops in the same place. I have also had issues with tingling and numbness in both of my legs ( mostly when I am jogging). I have also experianced tremors in my left arm, where it trembles uncontrolably.
I have been to my doctors ( kaiser) 8 times now. They have taken x rays did an automatic blood count test ( 2times once in may of 05 and once last week) and thyroid tests, and everything has came back normal.

I have tried acupunture, accupressure, massage therepy, hot and cold presses, pain killers, nsaids, advil, trazadone, nortrptilin, and went to a chiropractor. Nothing has helped at all. Even hard core pain killers did not lessen my pain an iota. My doctor just sent me a letter, stating that he could not fins anything wrong, and that he wants me to try physical therepy, again... I am so frusterated, and I am in so much pain it has effected my life to much already. I no longer have a social life, becuase I found it to difficult to pretend I am okay when I am not. The pain when I breath is sometimes so painful that I actaully gasp out load,and then people want to know what swrong ect.. And I don't want to talk about it, becuase I don't know what it is, and I don't want anyones pity. Anyways, I am afraid there might be something really wrong with me, I often feel feverish but when I take my temp its always betewwn 96.2 and 97.6, which is low. I can't remeber anymore what it feels like to feel good. If any has any suggestions please post, I am so very desperate, I don't know how much longer I can go through every day with this pain, every single time I breath. I can't just stop breathing, although its starting to seem like the only answer
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 5th, 2006
I Had a Similar Issue...
I had a problem very similar to yours after I had surgery. It did not get better as time went on like the rest of the pain from my procedure. I went to see a chiropractor whom I know and respect about the terrible pain in my side, and he said it was a turned rib head, up where the rib joins the spine. He fixed it completely over the course of several visits. I would tell you from my experience with chiropractors that there are both bad ones and good ones, just like any other profession. Ask around your area, talk to friends, look online, and see if you can find a reputable chiropractic clinic. Also keep in mind it may take several visits to get results. The longer you have had the problem, the longer it may take to correct. Good luck.
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Hi there! Are you under a lot of stress or do you have a lot of anxiety, you might try something like yoga or aask your dr about water therapy.
I am no dr but I have even known people that get depressed that things like this can happen to them.
You might even ask your dr about a pain management Dr. Or cardio Dr.
Good luck!
Keep us posted.
|

replied February 6th, 2006
Upper Left Shoulder And Rib Pain Everytime I Take a Breath
Thanks for your messages. Yoga does not give me any relief ( but I still do yoga every other day as it helps with my running) I have very little stress in my life as the yoga and running eliminate alot of that. I have to admit that I do have a pity party every once in a while , and it does start to bring me down, but fortunatly I am very stable emotionally and menatally, so it is not effecting me in that area is it might other people.
I did go to a chiro, 3 visits and no relief. Also my rib pain is not from any trauma or surgery, im not sure if I mentioned that earlier
i have not tried water therepy, unless relaxing in hot tub counts ;)
i will mentition it to my doctor but I doubt my crappy insurance will cover it. But its worth trying! Thank you both so much for taking the time to respond to my message! :)
|

replied May 9th, 2010
if you have had a cough, vomiting, or other straining of tissues surrounding the lungs, you may have pleurisy. swelling can impact the intercostal nerve which will give reference pain (sharp) in your shoulder when breathing. you should get a chest xray. if pain is on you left side and radiates from ribs, you will want to rule out heart problems as well.
|