Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Lutera Anyone?? I'm Starting It (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
Hello everyone! As you all know in my other posts I was on depo about 2 years ago and it effected me badly. So I me and my boyfriend decided I should try something else- I did a lot of research I wanted something with low hormones that I haven’t heard anything bad about I wanted allesse. Well my gyno said that allese would be great for me and she highly recommended it. So I went to the drug store and my insurance company covered “lutera”. I have not heard anything bad about it but it’s a generic form of allese. I would like to know if anyone has any information on lutera? I know side effects vary from person to person but im just curious on what everyone thinks of it. I looking forward to starting it but I have to wait for another 2 weeks. Any information will be helpful. Thank you guys!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper emilykwg
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2006
Experienced User
No one has ever used this stuff? :(
|

replied May 15th, 2012
It's been a month and a half since I started Lutera. I have one big problem with it. I can't reach orgasm!! Everything was perfect before takin this. It had been around 12 yrs since I used birth control and decided to start it up again. Im going to have to go to my doc and see what's happening. I don't like this one bit. Everything else is good except this!! It's frustrating when u knw u were not like this before Sad(
|

replied February 17th, 2006
Aviane
Hey, I just wanted to post the information I have for you. I'm about to start on lutera right now, but I have been on aviane for 5 or 6 months. The only reason it's changing is because I just moved, and my new pharmacy carries lutera, not aviane, but they are both the generic for for allese. I have had no problems with aviane so far, and i'm guessing that will stay the same for lutera since they're both the generic for the same rx. Anyways, I too was on depo, as my first for of birth control about 1 1/2 years ago. I had horrible side effects. And I mean bad. Sex actually became painful, to be exact, every time my boyfriend inserted, no matter how lubricated I was, I felt like someone was slicing my insides with a knife. Sorry to be so graphic, but I have heard of some other people having bad effects like this too, and I thought maybe if you had the same bad effects, that you might be more like me with lutera. Also on depo, I had my period for 6 months straight, no breaks, and as i'm sure you can guess, that sort of slowed down the sex life a little, as did the pain I was experiencing. After speaking to my gyno. I switched to the pill form, I don't remember exactly which one anymore. The pain I felt during sex shortly dissapeared after I switched, probably completely went away in about a month, and my period went back to normal, but I soon found myself having extremely painful cramps during my period, bringing me to tears almost. It was strange for me, I never had cramps at all before this pill. I also felt myself becoming depressed, I had no sex drive left at all, and I became extremely moody all the time. I basically wasa upset with something no matter what. After talking to my gyno. Again, she switched me to aviane. She said it was a low-dose formula for pills, like ortho-tri-cyclin. Soon after switching to this pill, I felt the side effects slowly go away. I only switched 3 months ago, and still have a few side effects from before, like being moody, but even that I can feel getting much better. I am slowly gaining back my libido too, luckily. And you have to remember that the old horomones can take up to a year to fully leave your system. So i'm hopeful that after remaining on aviane, lutera and the likes, that I will eventually go back to the girl my boyfriend fell in love with, and not the mean, moody witch I became after becoming sexually active and going through all those bad side effects. I'm sorry I wrote so much, but hopefully it will help you a little to know there is someone else out there, who has also had bad side effects with depo, and loves aviane and those generics. Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied February 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Molly7116. Thank you for sharing your story with me. Its ashame that we had to go through all that :( I personally think it should be taken off the market. I have never heard anything good about it. I have been on lutera for 8 days now so its in my system. The side effects I have had have been minor. I only have breast tenderness and im a little emotional but nothing horrible,. So far its great. As long as I dont have breakthrough bleeding and weight gain ill be fine! Good luck and keep me posted :)
|

replied March 20th, 2006
Hey, I used some other brand before and when I sat out in the sun studying, I ended up getting a skin rash from the pill. So my doctor switched me to alesse, or actualy the generic brand lutera because I think thats what my insurance covered. With this, I am better able to be in the sun, I went to florida and it wasnt until I was there about 6 or 7 days in the sun every day that I got somewhat of a rash. And where I live I havent ever gotten that. Also, I havent noticed any side effects really. It works quite well. Ive been taking it for almost a year and so far havent noticed anything bad. Once in a while ill still get slight cramps or headache or something but its good (i took it to take away really bad crams and mood swings and all that stuff and its taken it away for the most part I think) its great .. I hope it works for u too
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Hey shine7. Yeah so far I absoluley love it. Its been about 8 weeks now and its good. The only thing that annoys me is the breast tenderness but my pharmacist said it will go away after 3 months. I am sorry you got those rashes thats sucks. I hope you have good luck thank you for replying!
|

replied September 12th, 2011
the first couple of months I had breast tenderness with Lutera, It felt like my breast weighed 20 pounds each..as soon as I removed my bra they felt like huge weights pulling them down and my breast are small ones. I had to have my bf massage them because it felt good haha. I have a few mood swings here and there, a few breakouts..but nothing extreme, and as the months went by, I experienced less cramping and thinner periods. I've been on it for about 7 months now and Im fine. A friend of mine suggested Lutera for me because she loves it.
|

replied August 2nd, 2006
On Lutera...
I was on the ortho evra patch for three months and really didn't notice anything... Then I started to realize that at the beginning of each new month I would get very nautious... After going through all that I am now on lutera and have been on it for 2 weeks... I'l writing to ask... Did anyone else have their periods for 3 weeks? I thought it was just light spotting because I started it during my period, but now the discharge is a different color and I just don't get it... If any of you are even on here or check this please let me know... Thanks soooo much!
|

User Profile
replied August 4th, 2006
Experienced User
Are you talking about bleeding on lutera? I only bled when I missed a pill it messed up my next 2 cycles but now I am back to normal. Break through bleeding is a common side effect give it a few months..Whatever you do do not miss a pill on lutera!
|

replied March 25th, 2011
lutera
oh man! you cant miss a day?! i just started taking lutera 5 weeks ago and still haven't started my period. is that normal? should i take a pregnancy test?
i used to use sprintec generic for ortho low but it think it was too high in hormones cause it was making me throw up almost every morning so my doctor switched me to lutera. lutera is super mellow so dont have any mood swings anymore and im not throwing up anymore.
|

replied August 4th, 2006
Big Thanks...
Thanks for the advice... I'll just sit it through... Thanks again...
|

replied August 20th, 2006
Beginner On Lutera...
I started lutera on the sixth day (the last day) of my period, so on august 9th. I've taken it every morning at the same time, and now it's been 12 days (august 20th.) when I wiped this morning in the restroom, I noticed slight bleeding. I'm wondering if this is normal since i've only been on it for a few days and I have just very recently had my period...

Can anyone help please
|

replied November 16th, 2006
Avoiding Periods On Lutera
Hi there -
i've been on orthocyclen for 12 years without a problem but am switching to lutera. The reason is because this is supposed to be one of the recommended types of pill for avoiding getting a period altogether. The principle is that you just skip the sugar (placebo) pills in the pack and only take active pills. There is a great site called noperiod.Com where you can learn about how safe it is and how to make this happen for yourself. I achieved about 4 months without a period on orthocyclen, but then I had a lot of breakthrough bleeding and gave up. Lutera has different levels of the hormones and will hopefully provide better results. I'm totally committed to making this work because life without a period would be such a relief! I'll let you folks know how it goes, and if anyone else is trying this please share your experiences! I've heard that the first 6 months can be rough, but if you can make it through the spotting, you can live the rest of your life period-free.
|

replied November 17th, 2006
First Time
This is my first time using bc and I have to admit, I was scared at first with all the side effects what bc pills can do, but I don't see any major changes with using lutera. So, i'm happy with it. :d
|

replied November 21st, 2006
Lutera Side Effects
Thank you all for the info on bc and lutera.
This is my first time going on bc and I was very nervous about it. I have been on the pill for a week. However, I did notice some bleeding on the weekend and also a change in color in discharge which could have been from the bleeding. My period ended on thursday so I got a bit concerned. I also started to get lots of abdominal pain on sat. The pain has continued on until today (tues) and I notice that its worse after I eat. I have also experienced a loss of appetite. I'm still waiting to hear back from my Dr. Today. I'm not sure if it is the pill because after doing some research I haven't read anywhere saying that lutera or any other bc pill causes abdominal pain other than possible cramps during menstration. If you have any information that could help please let me know. I'm very concerned that somethings wrong.
|

replied August 30th, 2007
I just started Lutera so far so good but it has increased my appetite a lot.
|

replied September 7th, 2007
Re: Lutera Anyone?? I'm Starting It
Crazyness24 wrote:
Hello everyone! As you all know in my other posts I was on depo about 2 years ago and it effected me badly. So I me and my boyfriend decided I should try something else- I did a lot of research I wanted something with low hormones that I haven’t heard anything bad about I wanted allesse. Well my gyno said that allese would be great for me and she highly recommended it. So I went to the drug store and my insurance company covered “lutera”. I have not heard anything bad about it but it’s a generic form of allese. I would like to know if anyone has any information on lutera? I know side effects vary from person to person but im just curious on what everyone thinks of it. I looking forward to starting it but I have to wait for another 2 weeks. Any information will be helpful. Thank you guys!

I've been on it for over a year and sometimes I have breakthrough periods that last for weeks. My ob told me that when this happens to stop taking for 4 days then start back with the last pill I missed. I also developed melasma after I started taking Lutera and went into the sun. now I have a brown mustache that will not go away and some brown spots on my face. I have been told that it is estrogen that caused this but I didn't have this problem with my last pill.
|

replied October 19th, 2007
Lutera Side Effects
i was on orthocyclen for about six months and stopped because it made me incredibly moody. i started on the patch a little while after and had the same mood problems and had such intense cramps during my period that i stopped taking it after 3 months. i just recently started lutera and have loved it because i feel no different at all, but today is the first day of my period (the first one since i've started taking lutera) and my cramps are so bad that i've been in bed all day and had to call in sich for work. i haven't been on birth control for the past year and a half and have had no problems at all with my period or cramps, if anyone else has this problem or know why it occursi'd be really interested in knowing.
|

replied November 1st, 2007
Lutera...not For Me
Over the past 7 years I've been on so many different birth control pills it's crazy. I would typically be on a pill for 4-8 months before my headaches, mood swings, and emotional instability would be unbearable that I would switch to another pill. I went through the list of pills, always descending in estrogen levels, until now, when I've reached the lowest estrogen level with Lutera. I've been on Lutera for a few months now and have found some pros and cons... my headaches have decreased, I still have my mood swings... BUT...I have started to get acne! I've gone through my entire life with maybe a few pimples here and there, typically when I have my period, but, wow, I have never broken out this bad before. It is not just concentrated on one area of my face, but all over. I am having a severely hard time dealing with this. Does anyone have any advice as to what type of birth control I could switch too... I can't handle Lutera's side effects, please help.
|

replied November 6th, 2007
to Cutegirl17....
Are you kidding me? I realize you guys are all real nice giving useful information that I appreciate as well...BUt something must be said when a woman starts talking like she thinks it is all dandy to never have her period. It is sooooo dangerous to think that it is o.k. to never have your period. Why would you do that to your own body? I have to send you this message. It's that deadly. Your body needs to have its cycle. No matter what your beliefs are, your cycle happens for a reason. If you believe in all the info on whatever this site is telling you "noperiod.com" you have got to be kidding me. PLEASE PLEASE think for yourself. Stop looking for an "easy way out" Why do you think people that try suppressing their cycle (found in this forum) find out their body will try and go through periods of breakthrough bleeding? Because there is a reason your body has a cycle. It is documented women are dying from blood clots in their brain and swelling due to BC claiming to give you less periods. Sure it works but at what cost? DEAL with the pain. I STRONGLY hope you check out the real facts and decide for yourself.
|

replied September 19th, 2011
treating endometriosis
to meowkitty

It is NOT deadly to suppress your cycle. i dont know where you get your info from, but the likelyhood of clotting is due to smoking and increasing age with use of birth control. If you happen to be a sufferer of endometriosis (like myself) there is no cure, unless you have surgery to remove your reproductive organs, or force menopause. I am 27, and far too young to go through menopause. so i chose extended cycle pills as a therapy to fight off future implants. ive been on birth control of this sort for 12 years now, due to my condition, and i couldnt have made a better choice.
|

replied November 6th, 2007
i started using lutera about 2 weeks ago and at first i didnt notice any side effects, but now i get extremely bad mood swings and i seem to get kind of depressed. is this going to go away after a while or should i switch to a new one?
|

replied November 9th, 2007
definitely stick with lutera at least a couple month to find out how you're body will adjust to it. if the symptoms persist ask your doctor to prescribe another pill until you find one that works for you. and i definitely agree about skipping your period... delaying it or maybe skipping it once a year is one thing, but research both sides of the effects before you start doing anything drastic.
|