Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Propranolol (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I was yesterday prescribed this drug by the docter for my anxiety but am slighty worried about some of teh side effects. Is any one else taking this drug for their anxiety or panic attacks????
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper llovelife
|

replied January 31st, 2006
Experienced User
I Have!
Hi when I started having anxiety my doctor put me on it too. He didn`t look into what had happened to me he just said because I was having palpatations it would help to slow it down.

I had a pretty rough time with anxiety but my doctor told me to take the propranolol three times a day but I wasn`t happy with that so I only took it when I needed it. To be honest I didn`t really get any side effects but I wasn`t happy taking a drug which basically helps to slow your heart down cos sometimes I felt it was going too slow. It really didn`t help the anxiety. During a stay in hospital I met a clued up doctor who told me that that would not have been the first drug she would have chosen to put me on. I was put on an anti depressant called citalopram which she said was better suited to anxiety. To be honest i`ve been much better on it, it`s helped me get over the worst of it and i`ve had no side effects plus I know it`s not addictive.

Maybe you should ask for a second opinion.

Good luck
debs
|

replied February 1st, 2006
Hi

my doctor put me on this for my anxiety, I was too scared to take it for ages but was fine when I did. It does make me a little tired but that all.

I take the propranolol as soon as I feel an attack coming on, it does help calm me but doesnt last for too long until another attack comes along.
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
I have just been given it for panic attacks too. Just took my first 1. I feel very tired n a bit woozy
|

replied February 1st, 2006
Thanks
Hiya guys thank very much responding to me, I finally forced myself to take it today but am sill not to happy. Thankyou for all your information nice to get a little support from people who understand what I am going through.
|

replied January 10th, 2007
Propranolol Side Effects
Ive been taking propranolol for a few days now 60mg per day. The side effects have kicked in but only the mild ones such as dry eyes and dry mouth, nothing artificial tears, and sucking a few cubes of ice cannot cure. In some patients it may cause episcleritits (inflammation of the white part of the eye.) what ever you do, do not stop taking the medication without the instruction of the general practitioner!!
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
anxiety depression
i have been suffering really bad with anxiety and panic attacks and i have been on citalopram 4 5 days now i feels so low and depressed i feel like i am going mad,i have rang the doc 5 times today in a panic and he told me to take propranolol but i am so scared of taking it i am already having bad side affects of taking citalopram so i am worried what a drug that slows your heart down could do really scared and dnt no how i am going to cope
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
Hi there,
I have taken this anti depressant b4. with all anti depressants they make you feel way worse b4 you feel better. Its your brain adapting to the drug. It feels pretty horrible hey!!
If you are going to carry on taking the citalopram then get your head around the fact your gonna feel worse for a bit but its a temporary feeling. Hide away for a bit maybe with a comfy blanket and you Pj's. I promise it wont be for long. If tho after a week or so you are still feeling wonky then go back to your GP. You may not be suited to the medication.
I am now on Propranolol. Only got it today. I prefer the idea of that other than antidepressants. Its making me feel pretty sleepy tho n a bit woozy.
Good luck!! xx
|

replied August 6th, 2009
I hope you are feeling better now and have carried on with the citalopram. Your GP should have told you that your symptoms will get worse for the first couple of weeks on any antidepressant and then should quickly reduce although it could be a few months until the full effectiveness is felt.
|

replied November 17th, 2009
propanolol side effects
I have started taking propanolol to control migraines caused by head injury and TIA. I had tried an anti depressant but could not handle the side effects at all. Propanolol is so much gentler and I feel way better.I think some of my symptoms may have been caused by anxiety and fear of the other symptoms kicking in - if that makes any sense. Its too early to say whether it has helped my migraines. My GP was really good at listening to me when I was unhappy with the first choice.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
Propranolol
I was prescribed this drug today I am so afraid of taking it once i read more about it. Your post helps thx a bunch.

Cupie
|

replied October 23rd, 2011
propanalol
Propanolol, has been great for me . I have taken it on and off for approx 7 years. Starting off on high dose, to weaning myself off with no problems, hardly taking it at all for about 3 years. Currently back taking 10mg when needed, due to anxiety returning, I have never had a problem with the drug.
|

replied December 3rd, 2009
side effects
I started taking propanolol a couple of days ago for anxiety. I have had no side effects from it and it makes my anxietu manageable. I do not seem to feel anything different except less anxioud. I did not know it slows down your heart though, that does not sound to good.
|

replied October 7th, 2012
propranlol
it slows down your heart rate to what it should be, nothing to worry about i suffer from anxiety my heart rate went from 152/102 due to worry so i take propranlol one x 3 a day it brings my heart rate down to where it should be rather than beating out of my chest,i think this is excellent, i have my operation next week and they will no do it if my bp is high.
kym
|

replied December 31st, 2009
Anxiety / Depression / Propranolol
Hi,

Just wanted to share my experience. At the age of 21 years old, I started having severe palpitations and was diagnosed as having generalised anxiety / panic attacks and was given propranolol. This didn't make any sense to me as I never felt the symptoms were circumstantial. For years, I kept searching for reasons, continued with the same medication, my symptoms got worse but I always felt they were more bodily. I had digestive disorders, I even had my gall bladder out, bouts of depression / emotional upset, frequent colds, sensitivity to light, it goes on!

I found out after 7 years, that a major cause was from my 6 amalgam / mercury filled / silver fillings. I was basically being poisoned from the mercury in my fillings (had no idea initially what was in them) but around the age of 21, when things worsened I had had several fillings put in). I have had my fillings replaced with white composite fillings last year and am detoxing the mercury out of my system on & off. I have also been taking a Magnesium Glycinate supplement, which I can now take in place of Propranalol, a big achievement for me as I thought I would be on these tablets for a long long time. I also did a food intolerance test, which picked up some foods that my body is intolerant to (this was also a big help) as lots of foods or intolerances / deficiencies can cause unwanted symptoms / illnesses!
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
Hi there,
Could you tell me please how you found out it was the fillings? its just I have wondered about this myself b4. Is there a test you can request from your GP?
Thanks
|

replied March 12th, 2010
silver fillings!
hey i was wondering, after you took out the silver fillings.. did your heart palpatations go away.. because i have silver fillings and i have heart palpatations very bad and was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism...
|

replied March 20th, 2010
Hi,

Yes the palpitations did stop and I use to sweat excessively, which stopped immediately after my last filling was replaced with white composites. If you decide to have your fillings replaced, try to find a holistic / mercury free dentist, who will use the correct equipment and procedures to reduce further mercury inhalation.

Of course, there are other factors which can worsen symptoms such as coffee, caffeine drinks, too much sugar etc.

This website gives some good info on Mercury Toxicity and lists a lot of common symptons.

Be good to hear how you get on and hopefully don't have to keep suffering!
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
My goodness, I have the sweats too!!
|

replied June 16th, 2010
Difference between citalopram and propranolol.
Hey, today I have been prescribed 10mg of propranolol to take 3 times daily or whenever I need them. I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety in 2007 and was on citalopram for about a year and a half. I didn't find the citalopram useful as all, if anything it made my depression and anxiety worse. I was just wondering how effective propranolol is for severe panic, it seems to just give one a calm feeling? Is this true? And are there any gastronomical systems because I also have some food intolerances and don't want them to get worse.

Danielle.
|

replied July 15th, 2012
I was prescribed propanalol 8 weeks ago for a racing pulse and anxiety I have had 2 panick attacks , I was advised to take 10mg 3 times per day. I cut this down to twice per day and then once per day, I was then advised by another doctor to try and come of them.I started to do this 4 days ago missing a day out and then taking a tablet but an hour ago I had quite a bad panick attack so I think I will keep taking one tablet a day for now I find they calm you down very quickly.
|

replied July 17th, 2010
hi guys im on 60mg of citalopram 1 at night and 40mg of propranolol twice a day and i think these both tablets work wounders i was on miratazapine aswell but they made me worse
|

replied December 26th, 2010
been great for me
I've been suffering from panic attacks for more than a decade. Every couple of years my attacks would get so bad that i'd go to the doctor and every time they'd put me on the latest antidepressant which wouldn't work and i'd stop taking.

Last year i became suicidal and ended-up in and out of mental health facilities for about six months. In the past year i've been on citalopram, cymbalta, wellbutrin, mood stabilizers, antipsychs and benzos. It wasn't until i asked my dr. about a beta-blocker and he put me on propranolol that i've finally felt relief.

Everyone is different, i believe the antidepressants and mood stabilizers made me worse. They certainly had more side-effects and altered my mood and personality in ways i did not like (apathetic with most antidepressants, angry and anxious with wellbutrin, a disturbing emotional 'coldness' on mood stabilizers and total 'numb and dumb' on antipsychs).
Except for some nausea for the first few days, i've had no negative side effects on propranolol. Also, with all my experience and research into side effects, it has a pretty mild profile. I do not have high blood pressure but have felt as if i have heart palpitations when having panic attacks. I take 20-40mg with 1mg klonopin daily.

If you think the drugs are making you worse, they probably are and dr.s are reluctant to acknowledge worsened emotional states as med related or admit the dangers of psych meds.

Everyone is different,
Trust yourself!
Good luck and peace Wink
|

replied March 8th, 2011
Hi, im 22yrs old and iv been suffering panic attacks for years. Iv had some horrible traumatic experiences in my life and i know thats what has caused them, iv tried loads of different anti-depressants and iv found that martizapine have helped especially with my sleeping problems but they definately havent helped with my anxiety. I went to the doctor today and explained that basically my panic attacks are ruining my life! She perscribed me propranolol 40mg, which i can take up to three times a day. I really need to believe that these tablets will work because i just cant cope with this anymore!
|

replied March 15th, 2011
Hi Jodz I'm sorry to hear of your troubles but try to keep hope in your heart. Propranolol is a beta blocker,they reduce the effect of adrenaline (and other stress creating hormones) that gets pumped into your bloodstream and which causes your heart rate to speed up and induces the "fight or flight" responce of the nervous system. I have been perscribed them and they do work.
|

replied July 15th, 2012
I have to agree with you, yes they really do work.
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
Ive been prescribed Propranolol today 40mg 3 times a day. Ive been having night sweats,Mood swings, nightmares and panic attacks since I was a victim of a terrible attack by a stranger 3 years ago. Took my first one today. I feel very tired and a bit sicky.
Cant feel like this all the time off them as I have 3 children to look after. I'll give it a chance tho
|

replied April 15th, 2011
Propranalol has changed my life, I'm prescribed 10mg and can take up to four of them at a time. I cant handle work meetings or presentations where i know I'll have to speak in front of everyone - regardless of how well I've prepared what Im gonna say. I get so breathless wen its my turn to speak that its as though ive just ran up three flights of stairs its so embarrassing that it just fuels the problem.

If I take propranalol about an hour before the meeting I end up being chatty, "NORMAL" and can even crack jokes in front of loads of people - seriously life changing - I feel like I can move on in my career at last and just be myself. As for side effects, I do get a bit woozy i suppose but nothing else and that relaxed feeling is so amazing compared to the stressed out feelings i was getting before!

I was pregnant recently and had to stop taking it so was really put to the test and found I had to make 'sick' excuses to either avoid meetings or walk out halfway. I hope over time my brain will re-train itself to see that i am capable of functioning normally in situations that to other people are just easy, and so can stop using it eventually.
|

replied November 4th, 2011
wow, this is amazing to know. i have the same problem and feel i cant move forward in my career bc of this. i have a presentation in 2 hours and i am freaking out. i have the pills but stopped taking it bc i felt they werent doing anything but i was only taking half a pill of 10 mg even though it says i can take 3 per day. thanks for sharing.
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2011
hi there!!!
i took my first 10mg propranolol tablet about 20m ago and im feeling a bit woozy and sweaty... damn... i got my anxiety attacks due to recurrent urinal infections. and i started to think i had a kidney cancer. even do i think im hipocondriac cause im always thinking im gonna die i still have does attacks and some of them last for days like earth quakes and its replicas. and its very agonizing. im feeiling woozy now and it feels like my heart is irregular. pretty strange!!! i feel like im gonna faint or something. pretty weird... lol anyone felt like this? btw if someone needs anyone to talk with just add my email: i know what it feels like to not be understanded by others when we say that were having an anxiety/pannick attack. thanks Smile
|

replied January 1st, 2012
ansiedad tackycardia y propranolol 10mg
Yo quiero decir te solo la gente que a pasado por estos sensaciones raras y desagredables pueden entender nos. Es increible que lleva 6 anos con bezodiazipines y tranquilisantes despues de un problema grave en mi vida, dia y noche 6 aos sin que descansa esos latidos en el corazon hay veces con presion, irregular y siempre molestando pulsando en mi pecho. Po fin y por mi propia cuenta tengo propranolol 10mg.... 20 minutos nada mas....solo 20 minutos y mi vida a cambiado. Ya no tengo estos pulsaciones y ansiedad. Funciona, y es tan increible algo puede hacer me eso en 20 minutos despues de tantos aos drogada . Este semana voy a mi medico para hablar de eso per si ella esta contra la farmacia me vende igual. El unico es que toma la minima y averia gual hasta cuanto semanas o meses.

Animo David, vete al medico haga un control y prueba propranolol.......un milagro.xxx
|

replied January 27th, 2012
Hey mate! I totally understand. I was diagnosed with brady-tachycardia in 2007 and put on propanolol (the Dr said to take it with the onset of palpitations), but I never took it. Shortly after that I got pregnant and after my child was born I was so busy I credited the palpitations to stress or alcohol (I was having beer regularly before bed, which DID make palpitations much worse!!). It was not til recently, about 2 months ago that I nearly fainted on the bus. I went to the Dr and a whole string of tests with the cardiologist has been set up. This has triggered tremendous anxiety I can barely function. I'm a university lecturer and I get panic attacks during my lectures, even though I've been teaching for ages!!!!!! So I went and dug up my old propanolol and I take 20 mg when I feel the palpitations -- it helps... but doesn't always stop the anxiety and shaking and panic. I really hope it gets better -- my husband doesn't understand and thinks I just like to whinge and of course, I can't discuss this with work colleagues! Plus I have a 3 yr old to look after... The forum has been quite helpful as I was considering requesting anti-depressants or anxiety meds like Rivotril or valium to my GP... but I think I'll stick to the propanolol. Cheers!!
|

replied March 1st, 2012
Hi I feel like that every day ,, like I'm going to die ,,, like you said its weird init ,, I've just been put on propranolol but don't seem to be working at the moment , just wondering have you tryer it and do they work ? Many thanks
|

replied March 1st, 2012
Hi I feel like that every day ,, like I'm going to die ,,, like you said its weird init ,, I've just been put on propranolol but don't seem to be working at the moment , just wondering have you tryer it and do they work ? Many thanks
|