Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Relapsed

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
I am 40 yrs old and have been dx for 3 yrs. I had very little problem until aug. 2003. I got a kidney infection and it went down hill from there. I had oral sterolds and i.V. Steroids. That cleared up the double vision but other things got worse.

I became very dizzy and my balance didn't exist.

I felt water logged at first then my speech became very slurred.

The puzzling part was that it came like in waves, i'd sound normal and then in about 3 min. I'd sound like a drunk. I also felt like I was about 4 beers in most of the time. No one seems to understand why it came in waves. I'm doing better now but it still happens less frequent ly but still in waves and less severe. These spells only last about 10 seconds and have lasted the same from the beginning.

My neur. Suggested I see a psych. And a speech theropist. I figured the psych. May help but I have skipped the speech theropist. I have lost my job and insurance so I can't afford to play hit and miss. I am on rebif for the m.S and lexapro for the depression. I also take neurontin which is an anti seizure drug. It feels like maybe i'm having very mild seizures. But I don't know. My neurologist hasn't suggested an eeg but i'd like to know what's going on when this happens

has anyone ever heard of this minute to minute deal. I understood i'd have good days and bad days but not good minutes and bad minutes.

I need some answers or some help. Someone please respond.

Thanx
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 23rd, 2004
Relapsed
Hi jackieh

there will be good and bad days and minutes I have found. I have had ms for 17 years and you never get use to it you just learn to live with it and cope. As you know ms does what it wants to do. One minute we can be walking down the road and the next we can have a limp and not be able to walk right I have found that to be true in me. I am not trying to scare you but everyone is difference. You just need to learn how the ms effects your body. I have written down when new things happen to me so I will know when they happen I know if the ms.. So just listen to your body and you will know the signs to watch out for. I wish you good luck .......And put it in jesus hand because by his strips we are heal!!!!!

Love your friend joan
|

replied April 25th, 2004
I was on nuerontin very briefly and the only thing I remember for the two week period was as I was coming off of it. Preventative maintanance broke something on my toilet as they were repairing it and spent the whole afternoon in my bathroom with the light connected to the exhaust fan on while my head was trying to explode. I have done much better on depakote.

For some reason there is no mention of seizure activity as possibly being related to ms but I keep encountering people with ms who never had any type of seizure activity before the ms.

As for balance - I have a problem with that and take antivert for it.
|

replied April 25th, 2004
Experienced User
Relapsed
Jackie, a speech therapist wouldn't hurt. What if the slurred speech lasted longer than a few seconds. I would do whatever it took. Good luck. Wink
|

replied June 13th, 2004
Hi jackie.
I just wanted to say that I totally understand what you mean by minute to minute. In the last few weeks or so, I also have slurring that comes and goes. I can almost feel it coming - I get a weird tingly sensation through my body, and everything (especially my arms) gets weak, and I have an awful time spitting my words out. Its very frustrating, and embarrasing. Luckily it does only last for a minute. Some days it can come and go many times, and other days it only happens a few times. I find that the tingling sensation and the weakness happens throughout the entire day, but the slurred speech often only happens during the first few hours of when I get up. Just thought i'd relate.
T.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile