Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

I'm a Newbie

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
Hi, i've just joined the forum, and i'd like to introduce myself. My name is cindy, I like to be called cin... Or if you have a great, uplifting name, you can call me that, too! Lol. I have an 8 year old daughter, named nan, and I think she may be exhibiting some very mild signs of bipolar disorder, or perhaps some other mental ailment. Bipolar is very prominent in our family, on my side, and her dad's side of the family as well. Right now, the biggest symptoms are sleeplessness... She has a very hard time settiling down to sleep at night, in fact, it's 2:30 am, and she is still awake, right now. During school nights, I give her meletonin to helpher sleep, but she never stays asleep all night, always wakes and comes in bed with me, etc. She has, this past year, had difficulty with toileting herself, wanting me to go with her upstairs to the bathroom, had a lot of seperation anxiety, where she would even follow me out to get the mail, and so on. She began wetting on the furniture, or the floors, where ever she might be, and saying she "fell asleep". This has improved somewhat with counseling, but she still needs me to come to the stairs, and often wait there or in the middle of the staircase while she toilets herself. She has mild mood swings from time to time, moreso than just ordinary, everyday irritability, or occasionally an elevated mood. She's had trouble with wetting herself at night for quite some time, she still has accidents several nights a week. So, that is the basic rundown of what's been going on in our family... Oh, she's been "on the list" to see the psychiatrist since last august... Our county pdoc resigned in september, and they finally just found a new one. And her regular Dr. Is reluctant to start any meds without a thorough psychiatric evaluation first... So, the big runaround, and it's mr. Nobody that does it again!
Anyone have any comments or ideas on any of this? I'd appreciate any feedback anyone might have.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 31st, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Hi cin (or should that be sin??),

my children have mental health issues on at least one side of both my & my husbands family so I have some idea of what you'er going through. Also my son(8, 9 in 24 days) -it's jan 1st here already - stared expressing death wishes just after he turned 7, he also has unreasonably high expectations of himself & thinks he's useless & a failure.

As my husband snores (worse than a train) he sleeps in a separate room to me & our son has slept in my bed since age 2 (initially due to serious childhood asthma but then he just wouldn't do, tried everything, redoing his room - even tried to bribe him this week with the promise of his own tv if he starts now sleeping in his room & stays there - otherwise his sister (15) could have it - his answer, no, I don't want you to waste the money & anyway I want to be with you!!) I have managed to get him into a fold out bed beside me at least!!

We have also recently discovered that our daughter is highly stressed & has always had unreal expectations of herself & saw herself as a failure (this from someone who has just been accepted to university at age 15!!)

our daughter's psychiatrist hs her on 5htp (a natural substance which the body makes from tryptophan which is in lots of our foods, but which isn't made when our brains chemistry is out of whack) so I would suggest you look this up on-line - our daughter is on 50mg at night with food, her weight is about 80lbs. If you want moer information just post again with questions.
|

replied January 18th, 2004
Being Bepolar And Having a Trouble of Personnality???
Hi, I have a question to ask you folk. I want to know if having a border personnality can be part of the bipolar disease? I was tolk I was bipolar, than I was told that could be a lot more a borderline personnality problem. Can you tell me someone if it's the same? And is it normal to be only on a drog therapy and having no other specific individual help. Please tell me, i'm pretty discouraged as I have difficulty to handle my life properly. And who can direct us to the right ressources, I mean the good one for us.

Esperance
|

replied February 29th, 2004
Welcome i'm a newbie as well. This forum has been my savior! I've been reading through it like mad! Lot's of information and it's great to know i'm not alone! :d
|

replied February 29th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Esperance,

personality disorders & bi-polar etc are very strange things & different drs have different views on both diagnosis & treatment.

Drs are mechanics, nothing more & just like the mechanic who works on your car some over specialize, some don't keep up to date, some have their own thing (every woman over 35 who's stressed is menopausal, no consideration given to any other possible causes)some like to try all the latest drugs, some prefer counselling or hypnotherapy & some are very very good across a range of problems & they consider them all & they also consider the individual & their history before deciding on treatment.

I don't think anyone here knows enough to "diagnose" you but I would suggest that you use search engines like google & yahoo to look up bi-polar, personality disorder & any medications you're on, also search under such queries as - what medical conditions cause "....." symptoms etc. This will give you more information about these conditions, the drugs & your symptoms. I'd also look under natural & homeopathic remedies for personality disorders & bi-polar & any specific symptoms you have. You can then take this information & see if you think you are being given the right treatment & for that matter whether you feel the diagnosis is accurate.

Many people reseach vitamin, minerals & natural remedies & find that they do alot better using these than they ever did on prescription meds. Don't misunderstand me, i'm not suggesting you just stop taking meds - you should however check things out, look at the alternatives, look at the diagnosis & consider whether it fits you. If you have beenon meds for a year or more & are no better then what good are the meds????

You ask about right resources & handling your life properly but the answers to that need alot more information about you, age, general health, activities/work/hobbies/family/support people etc; also in what ways are you precisely having trouble handling your life. Can you leave the house or are you scared to, the advice would be different depending on all these sorts of things.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov