Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Normal Itching?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I was just wondering if it is normal to have mild itching around the vaginal area (outer labia, hairline)? I've had recurrent yeast infections for 9 months and I honestly can't remember if it is normal to have an itch here and there. It's not that bothersome, maybe 3-4 itches a day. No redness, but sometimes there is a little dry skin. Should I be worried it's another yeast infection, or does everyone have this sort of itching?
Thanks to whoever replies, i've become obsessed about this itching.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 23rd, 2006
Experienced User
I think everyone has an occasional itch down there throughout the day, just like anywhere else on your body. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it were another yeast infection on the outside you would have a bunch of red itchy bumps that would sometimes develop a white head on them. If it were anything else, like an std, you would most likely have similar lesions, or would have noticed a cahnge in vaginal discharge, odor, aches and pains in that area, etc.
|

replied January 24th, 2006
There are no red bumps or anything, but the skin has been pretty sensitive ever since. Sometimes if I scratch too hard it leaves marks, but I suppose it will take some time to recover after 9 months of yeast. I'm sure it's normal though, i'll try not to worry about it.
Thanks again!
|

teach486 wrote:
i think everyone has an occasional itch down there throughout the day, just like anywhere else on your body. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it were another yeast infection on the outside you would have a bunch of red itchy bumps that would sometimes develop a white head on them. If it were anything else, like an std, you would most likely have similar lesions, or would have noticed a cahnge in vaginal discharge, odor, aches and pains in that area, etc.

red itchy bumps? Are you sure that's a yeast infection symptom? Cuz i've had yeast infections, and none of them involed red bumps...

A little itching is normal. If you notice, guys scratch their balls atleast once a day, same with women, though we tend to be a little more secretive about it ;)

if it's a persistant itch, get it checked out. It may be an allergic reaction/irritation to a fragrance, soap, or cloth. So if you're putting anything "fragrant" in that area, it might start itching, and can actually give you an infection.
|

Experienced User
I have never really had an internal/vaginal yeast infection. However, I did have an external one before. I had all these red itchy bumps around the outside of my vagina, including the pubic mound under the hair. They would itch like crazy, and sometimes form white heads. I went to my gyno to have it checked out. She tested me for std's, and told me that it was due to a yeast infection (external). I just had to use some cortizone cream on it to relieve the itching.
|