Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

I Hate My Face (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Okay, well it all started when I was 16, I just simply woke up one day and analyzed my face more than I usually do, realizing my left side of my face is more chubby then my right. And that my right ear sticks out a little more then the left! And from then I just literally think about it everyday, my face is unsymtrical, however you spell it, it is! I have a boyfriend, hes been with me for four years, and hes just like what are you talking about? Everyone I ask, they lie! But no, when I see a picture or just my reflection, I see a completly different thing then what tell me. And I read a few peoples post, and I totally understood them. Like one person said, they cant part their hair in certain ways without making their unsymetry so noticable. So most of the time I have to leave my hair loose too avoid people looking so hard! So then my skin breaks out when I have my hair in my face too much. Ah its fustrating, and does depress me. I dont care what people say, I know when people look at me thats like one thing they defiently notice. I want to consult a cosmetic surgen when im older, and see what advice they'll give me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 21st, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
My sister says the same thing about her face--and I guess I have seen it too when she was talking about it. But I think she is beautiful--she is, and all the guys want her. I said that to say this---i never notice it on her (unless, like I said when she mentioned it)

everything on her face on one side, is in a different place than on the other side. To her it is totally noticeable, but like I said, to me I dont even notice. So...I bet you are obsessing on it, while others dont even notice it. Hope this helped.
|

User Profile
replied August 1st, 2011
cancer on the face..
ecxactly!1 i had cancer on one side of my face. and it's totally crooked. my family says i'm beautiful, but all i see is a crooked faced girl. i have friends, but i try to hide my face. and don't even look at them face to face sometimes. my name is Janiece Warfield, and i think what you said was right, fatfamily02. <.>
|

replied February 6th, 2006
Hey Its Me
I'm surprised someone responded to me! Thanks for the small advice, I guess hearing it from another perspective helps. And I have stopped obsessing over it alot less, because its true I was just constantly looking in a mirror, and so on. No 1's perfect!
|

replied August 4th, 2007
I Have a Simular Problem..
the one side of my face is alot diffrent to the other. somehow.. the jaw line is diffrent. and my cheekbones dont seem to match from the side. i ALWAYS take photos from my best side. and the other, chubbier... less defined . not as nice side doesnt see the light of the camera. i HATE it.. it depresses me... and like the lady said above other ppl dont notice it.. unless i say.. but like, why should they notice it? no1 cares about what other ppl look like. even though, looks arnt everything.. for the things i want to do in my life.. looks help ALOT. im definatly having surgery on my face. i would love it to b symmetrical. i thought i was the only one, because im constantly looking at other ppl, and they ALL have symmetrical faces. i hate it. But i cant find surgery anywhere that i need. :O
|

replied August 12th, 2007
Re: I Hate My Face
Hey, im not exactly sure what you mean but I think I know. If people dont notice it, then it is a good thing. Remember your mind, your personality defines who you really are & you must tell yourself that you are beautiful. If you have friends and family who love you this will be a good opportunity to realize that looks do not define if the person is good/bad/loved/unloved.
Perhaps you can try contouring your face with a darker shade blush. It can create shadows and may make your face appear slimmer.
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2007
Well people are born this way so you should be proud!! And don't do any plastic surgery !! If you do some people might notice more... i think. I dunno.. But you should love how you look like and try to be happy and nice everyday and gradually you'll look like the princess u were before!! Razz
|

replied August 20th, 2007
Oh My Godd!
The girl who made this post has the exact same symptoms as me Shocked difference being im a 15 year old lad. My parents say no one has a symetrical face but to me my face looks too unsymetrical Confused i dont know if people realise and dont say anything to me, or generally dont realise, but i dont want to bring it up to any of my mates because then they might start realising if that makes any sense lol... ive only had one relationship and she didnt say anything to me. Not to sound big headed at all but the side i like (my left side) i think looks great on the other hand my right side doesnt. I get the occasional comment at school from a few boys, boys that ive known since primary school and they say im perfect in everyway.. but perfect is a word that lies in the eyes of the beholder i guess - but i dont know whether they're taking the piss or are being serious. Is this maybe a form of body dismorphia? i have no idea but it comforts me knowing that people are going through what i am x thank you for making this post xx
|

replied March 24th, 2009
unsymetrical face
firstly most peoples left face is not an exact match to the right side! If you were to put two left sides together u would get a completely different face and if you put the 2 rights again a third different face! very few people have a symmetrical face meaning exactly same on eith side. secondly unsymmetrical face can be due to a wrong bite...meaning an under bite or over bite or open bite because the mandible or maxilla are too far back or forward so the bite is wrong hence unsymmetrical face. i kno this cause i have an open bite where the teeth sit directly on top of each other instead of overlapping. i have braces and in 18 months im getting an operation to correct my bite.
basically im getting it done because i dislike my appearance.
|

replied March 29th, 2009
im the same
i have the same probem... anyone know were i could go to get this corrected... its running my life. hate lookin at myself
|

replied March 29th, 2009
mandy if you have an incorrect bite then your dentist can refer you to an orthodontist. usually peoples top teeth overlap the lower teeth if yours dont then your bite maybe wrong.
in google images put under bite or over bite or open bite and compare to your own teeth. if you have a wrong bite an orthodontist will give you braces and then operate after 18 months to correct the jaw which i think would make your face more symmetrical, but check and ask him. you could also go see a cosmetic surgeon to get a consultation but choose an approved one. basically if youre so unhappy that it affects your daily functionality then go seek a solution.
|

replied April 28th, 2009
R
Hi, I'm a seventeen year old girl from Sweden and I've hated my face since I was 15. I always hated my nose and thought that it "ruined" my face but one day when I was seventeen I just looked really closley in the mirror and realised ho unsymmetrical my face looked. It's the way I clench my jaw that makes my whole face look distorted. And then my forehead and eyes also look weird and along with that is my nose. Cause people say it unbelivable how bad I look in photos cause I hate to take picturs but that I look good in reality, but I'm starting to think that they lie. This has made me obssessd and I spend hours thinking of it each day, I'm also obssessed by how other people look, and can't be live how unfortunate I am to look this way since everyone in family looks good.

The weird thing is that when I take pictures of just half my face I look amazing like a whole nother person just wish I looked like that from both sides. And I've thought about doing surgery when I get older, I don't think I can have bracers, cause this happened when I was twelve and got my bracers, from then my face got unsymmtrical cause I remember being really cute at that age and when I look at pictures there's a huge diffirence. Sorry for the rant just so happy that I'm not alone
|

replied April 29th, 2009
face it
well if anyone wants advice pls do message me. ive had a real problem being obsessed with my face and being unhappy but im now having surgery to correct my open bite. i first sought the professional advice of 5 cosmetic surgeons..i researched online indepth..basically if its affecting your daily functionality then time to to something about it whether thats surgery or councilling..anyhow..the operation should improve my looks dramatically. put in you tube jaw surgery and look at the before vids and after vids! the transformations are unreal! basically i decided to transform myself and after jaw surgery nxt march im gona do my eyes and mouth. i feel much better now im actively resolving the issue. of course i still have bad days when i cant face going out to a club but then lots of girls have bad hair days etc! its hard to deal with and resolve because you dont want to tell people and surgery costs money! some people get surgery for free if its affecting your mind or functionality etc...or if you have a technical problem like your bite is wrong.
anyhow take care you guys and yes its comforting to know theres others in the same boat. for the girls makeup can help a little to make u feel better. xx
|

replied June 20th, 2009
When I stare at myself for a long time I begin to hate my face as well. I NEVER wear my hair up because I feel like I look so ugly. It's very inconvenient not to be able to just put my hair up at times because I have SO MUCH hair and it takes so long to style every single day. I actually love my hair though, I'm thankful that it is long, soft, and plentiful. My hair seems to give the illusion that the two sides of my face match when they absolutely do not. I hate my nose, it is huge with a big bump and the bottom is too bulbous. Also my eyes are waaayy to small and the left eye is definitely lower than my right. Another thing I hate is that on the left side of my nose the bump is very pronounced from the side view but on the right side it is unnoticable. It makes my nose look crooked from the front and also draws attention to the fact that my eyes are different. I literally hate looking at myself for prolonged periods of time. People tell me I have an "interesting" face. On top of the crooked nose, my jaw is off too. While my teeth are straight, my jaws don't line up properly. Also, my cheekbones are not pronounced nearly enough. On top of all this, I have skin that is prone to acne, but i'm 21 now so it has cleared up A LOT. I still have minor scarring and plan is to undergo some microdermabrasion. Get a nose job, get my jaw fixed and see what I think then. I think after those two big things are corrected, I will feel a lot better about myself. I don't like people to stare at me for too long because then they might start to notice these flaws with my face. I feel self conscious constantly and everyone I come across seems to have faces that are symmetrical. My brother has great features, why did I get stuck with the bad genes? I never want mention it to anyone because I don't want them to notice, i'm so ashamed.

Sometimes I wonder what I did in a past life to end up SO ugly in this one!
|

replied September 9th, 2012
assymetry of face
I have exactly the same problem.. My assymetry has gotten worse as I have gotten older... im 27.... My face has fattened so the assymetry is more pronounced...

My left side is flat there is no cheekbones, the left nostril is really weird it flares out... my left jaw is undefined and the eye slants downward along with the eyebrow..

My right side is really bumped out... it is as if it"s been pushed to the left... my ear is smaller, my jaw is too strong on this side, the nose is good..
|

replied October 29th, 2009
I Hate My Face
had this prob with my jaw 7 ops on and im still not happy my right and left side are still different genioplasty and osteotomies to bring my jaw forward,then after i had jaw implants to correct my lack of maibible angle i was happy, but the right sjde implant got infected so many times it had to be removed, before it was removed it was the best i had looked bone graft after that failed and now i have a titanium implant to the right side and this has not worked at all, i get so fed up with it i tell myself i am lucky i am strong fit and healthy but it dose not do the trick others have said the same but there jaw was not as mine to be honest it has spoilt my life in many ways, surgery does not always work out as you would hope i dont reget trying, but i sometimes ask myself why was i born that way bible bashers will tell me because god loves me well if he did he would give us all an even playing field at this moment children all over the world much worse off than me are being born with deformities, and cancer, and limbs missing ,and blind, life is hard enough as it is without starting life like that sorry about the rant, but i ak myself why is this, sure a bible basher will answer to see how strong we are, ect, ect ect, for all of you who have surgery i hope it works out good luck
|

replied November 1st, 2009
Cosmetic Surgery
Let me tell you this guys I have had this battle with myself for a long time, I hated my boobs I had a boob job, I hated my nose I had rhinoplasty I hated my teeth I had a full mouth of veneers done. I am only 23 years old and I have never had any problems with guys I always had alot of guys after me I was popular and was always told I was beautiful but I kept picking myself to peices and here I am thousands of dollars later and wishing I never had surgery. As depressing as it is you will always find flaws after you get that done you will find something else you do not like.Those people you see in magazines or that pretty girl you see at the beach they all have something that is not perfect eg Reese witherspoon has stretch marks and and what some people consider a large chin, Audrina Partridge her eyes are completely asymmetical, camron diaz under her makeup has bad acne scarring, the list goes on and on. I look at things like people in wheelchairs and children with cancer or burn victims and realise life is not that bad. Try and play up what you have instead of focusing on what you do not have.
|

replied November 6th, 2009
update to my last post the titanium implant that was inserted last year will have to be removed, what has happend infection plus as i thought my jaw is dislocated i have to stop work as just about anything physical has an effect on my jaw, all the surgeons have been board certified for those of you who are thinking of surgery
the sagittal split osteotomy surgery to move my jaw forward went well as did the sliding genioplasty to move my chin forward, that type of surgery is usually very sucessful with very little pain,as for jaw implants first take a good look at yourself and if you have a reasonable jawline unfortunately i did not think long and hard about having any substance put in your jaw apart from your own bone and titanium screws safe in most cases.

And dont do it because you want to look like a movie star or something, mine was a deformity and i felt i had to go for it, so if the case is you of you think you look average and have a reasonable jaw but would like to look just a little bit more? THINK.

The sagittal split osteotomy surgery and sliding genioplasty to move the jaw and chin using your own bone is in most cases a succses so im not trying to put you off that and does not cause very much pain at all but as for implants THINK.
|

replied November 8th, 2009
had no sleep now on two antibiotics amoxicillin and metronidazole,Naproxen codeine phosphate and paracetamol for pain hope they can get this out soon im begining to wonder also if i have a titanium allergy would be strange as never had any problems with the titanium screws, but who knows i would now have nothing put in my jaw now but my own bone, a graft can fail but implants of any other substance? i hope they get this out soon, if you look ok keep ok dont do it just to look a lttle bit better THINK
|

replied November 9th, 2009
Re: I Hate My Face
osweetbugo wrote:
Okay, well it all started when I was 16, I just simply woke up one day and analyzed my face more than I usually do, realizing my left side of my face is more chubby then my right. And that my right ear sticks out a little more then the left! And from then I just literally think about it everyday, my face is unsymtrical, however you spell it, it is! I have a boyfriend, hes been with me for four years, and hes just like what are you talking about? Everyone I ask, they lie! But no, when I see a picture or just my reflection, I see a completly different thing then what tell me. And I read a few peoples post, and I totally understood them. Like one person said, they cant part their hair in certain ways without making their unsymetry so noticable. So most of the time I have to leave my hair loose too avoid people looking so hard! So then my skin breaks out when I have my hair in my face too much. Ah its fustrating, and does depress me. I dont care what people say, I know when people look at me thats like one thing they defiently notice. I want to consult a cosmetic surgen when im older, and see what advice they'll give me.

How can one just hate his/her face because it is just unsymmetrical. I am not here to give you a full blown lecture but just want to ask that have you seen people infected with skin infections? If not then see and you will suddenly start loving your face more than ever.
|

replied November 9th, 2009
with respect i appreciate what you say and your view and understand where you are coming from, with me as i said was a deformity of lower jaw, and to be honest i dont think there really is a symmetrical face,the problem is when we start to judge ourselves against others not a good idea i know, with me it started with cruel remarks at school then work as much as i tried to put it at the back of my mind i could not,and i did a lot of soul searching and trying to put myself in peoples position that where a lot worse than me, i would not as i said have implants again unless it was my own bone,the maxfax surgery to move a persons jaw forward or back or chin is nearly always with good results, but if you have an ok average face then i would keep it dont do it for just a bit more?
a jaw that is receded, or to far forward can have a dramatic effect on lots of peoples confidence and if it is bad can give people all sorts of social problems, i would not want a chronic skin infection i have seen people and it must be terrible i would not want to change places, and i see people with cancer, and would not want that, lost two of my family to it, the list could go on ,unfortunately what ever anyone else thinks this does not stop people wanted this type of surgery just ask yourself why are you doing it some people need it and some just want a bit of an improvement and would not myself have done just for that, but i understand why people do,there are many people with terrible disfigurements that surgery can improve and for some little can be done mine was not terrible, but was not within the normal jaw, for some it does not bother others it can ruin life just as many things can i would not have a face lift because i was aging but some do and if it works good luck to them, it there is one thing i have learned from all this is never to be cruel about a persons looks, it is a pity we live in a world that take people at face value a lot of the time i wish you all good luck
|

replied November 10th, 2009
I do agree with you Brad. It is not our looks that matter at the end of the day. There are more important things that need to be taken care of.
|
12 >>