Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

Brown Vaginal Discharge.....? (Page 1)

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
Well, yesterday I noticed that I had a bit of light brown odorless discharge in my underwear that has gotten slightly darker since then, and I was wondering what would have caused it. I ended my period on january 13th, and I dont know much about spotting because its never happened to me before. I also received oral from my boyfriend about a week ago, could that have anything to do with it? I tried to look up some info on the net but it seemed that everything related to brown discharge was also tied into pregnancy or birth control pills (but i'm not on those), which scared me a bit. My boyfriend and I were laying pretty close to one another, so theres possibility that some remaining semen could have gotten a bit too close, but I would think that it would be too soon for some sort of mucus plug to form if I was pregnant, or at least I hope so. Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Froofroo
|

replied January 21st, 2006
Experienced User
Spotting is blood, it isn't brown discharge.
Personally though i've always had brown discharge right after my period and i've been to the gyno, there's nothing wrong with me.
|

replied January 21st, 2006
Well, its been a week since my period ended, and then it came up, I dont know if that makes any difference.
|

replied January 22nd, 2006
I've had this, but pretty much only after I used a "toy" and stuff like that. Sometimes i've been too dry and not really realised that I was hurting myself that much at the time. It's weird though, because it's brown almost instantly which seems like it must be old blood? I'm not sure. It could be related to your period. If you're worried about pregnancy, I guess just be more careful and make sure that semen doesnt get anywhere near that area when you're lying down or whatever so that you don't have to worry. You're most likely not pregnant though, i've had the brownish discharge like 3 or 4 times.
|

replied May 15th, 2011
So did you see a gyno? I'm having similar occurances, like brown discharge in between periods after masturbation, is there a problem with it?
|

replied January 25th, 2006
Hey girl, I have a similar problem (brown discharge that isnt period related)
i'm not sure what it is either
i read somewhere that sometimes discharge is red/brown when you ovulate, but I dont know if thats the case for you, I thought it was for me, but i'm not so sure anymore. I'm gonna wait it out for a few more days...I'm not keen on seeing a doctor :s
anyway I hope it gets better for you
dont stress too much, or you'll make it worse for yourself

take care
|

replied January 29th, 2006
Wow, it makes me feel a bit better to know I wasnt the only one out there. What ever it was, it cleared up, just freaked me out while it was there. Thanks for the support and the info.
|

replied February 1st, 2006
I am having that same thing right now. I'm not on birth control and my boyfriend and I have not had sex in a few years- we're waiting for the wedding night- but we do things to keep it interesting, but one of us is always clothed on the bottom. So i'm pretty sure there's not much of a chance for me to be pregnant- but I am 1 week away from my period and I am having very brown discharge... I have never been to a gynocologist but maybe should go? Does anyone know what's goin on with this?
|

replied December 29th, 2011
mid cycle spotting
There is something called mid cycle spotting. I found out about it on another chat sight, then looked it up. it usually takes place near ovulation. and it has nothing to do with sex or birth control. I just used a panty liner because you don't need a tampon or a full pad for just spotting.
|

replied February 2nd, 2006
Just wanted to let you know I also have the same problem, about a week after my period, especially if I run or work out a lot.
|

replied February 3rd, 2006
I have brown vaginal discharge... Have not had sex in over three months.. And its not time for my period... And I have passed the ovulation part... So what is going on? It just came out of nowhere!!

Can anyone tell me what in the heck is going on? Please ... Really scared here!!!!
|

replied February 4th, 2006
You are probably just ovulating. Women ovulate at different times throughout the month. My mom spots every time she ovulates. It happens to some women.
|

replied December 24th, 2011
I've never started my period and never had sex bleeding but alot it's red and brown and isn't flowing out it's staying in what's shouldn't do
|

replied December 24th, 2011
I've never started my period and never had sex bleeding but alot it's red and brown and isn't flowing out it's staying in what's shouldn't do
|

replied November 3rd, 2012
I havent had a period for about three months. then a brown odorless disharge came.now im starting a very light period but still no odor. im worried can anyone give my some advise please?
|

replied February 5th, 2006
Experienced User
Also you can "spot" when your hormones in your body changes. I've had that for the past few months, always a week after my period had ended. So my doc is now putting me on a different birth control that will better suit my hormones.
|

replied February 5th, 2006
I've had this problem as well and it usually occurs 1-7 days after my period ends. I definitely wouldn't worry about it.
|

replied February 6th, 2006
My boyfriend and I haven't had sex in a while. The other day, we had unprotected sex three times in one night. Two days later I started having this brown thick discharge. It doesn't hurt to urinate, and there are not signs of bumps or anything like that. Is it just my body cleaning itself out?Its almost like a brown yeast infection. This is so gross to write but I am freaked out.
|

replied September 13th, 2011
did you find out more about it? this sounds like what im going through..
|

replied February 6th, 2006
Again.. If you have had your period in the previous week before the discharge, I would definitely say it was caused by your period. I think sometimes there is remaining blood in there and when something happens that might cause it to come out, such as sex, then the remaining blood comes out. I've had this happen on several occasions. I seriously wouldn't worry about it unless you are really itchy, sore, have an open wound, are bleeding profusely etc. I'm not a medical doctor, but i've talked to a few other women with the same problem, so I would say it's relatively normal.
|

replied October 1st, 2007
Smelly Brown Vaginal Discharge
ive been getting a lot of discharge lately and it smells really bad. at first it was just white but today it turned brown. im really worried and the smell got worse too. i went to the gyno and he told me that everything looked normal and that he didnt even see discharge. ive only been with one guy and i shower regularly i dont know what is wrong. please help me!
|

replied January 20th, 2012
The same thing is happening to me and I don't know what it is!
|

replied October 1st, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Smelly Brown Vaginal Discharge
kmj23 wrote:
ive been getting a lot of discharge lately and it smells really bad. at first it was just white but today it turned brown. im really worried and the smell got worse too. i went to the gyno and he told me that everything looked normal and that he didnt even see discharge. ive only been with one guy and i shower regularly i dont know what is wrong. please help me!

When did this start, and when was the gyno's appointment?

Brown discharge usually signals an on-coming period. How old are you?
|

replied January 26th, 2008
Try this on for size
For the past 7 months this is how my lower region has been:

4 Day period
3-4 Day repreeive
Week of light discharge
Week and a half of discharge so heavy I have to wear a tampon
4 Day Period
Repeat

Sometimes, I don't get the period, it's just the discharge. It gets to be almost just like a period, only brown and sometimes the tampon will come out black almost.

I talked to my doctor 6 months ago, I brought up my concern that it might be the depro vera shot (birth control). I had not had my period for the 6 months it was in my system and thought maybe it was all the old stuff just coming out. She told me to come back after like 3 months;because that would have been a full year since I had the shot, if it was still bothering me. I made an appointment 2 months ago, so I go March 3rd. Yay for busy doctors.

So, what do you have to say about that? Any thoughts or theories?
|

replied June 17th, 2011
The same thing is happening to me right now, but I havn't been on it for quite 6 months yet. Did you ever find out what the problem was?
|

replied January 26th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Did you go back to her after 3 months, since it's been 6 months since the first visit? What did she say then?
|

replied January 28th, 2008
need to know asap
ok hi people lol..but i have a very scary question well for me at least... ive just started using the nuva ring a week ago and it made me have very thick discharge its only been about 2 or 3 days after my period i noticed that the discharge started to turn brown i had sex with my boyfriend and after right after! i went to the restroom and then i noticed a little spotting and i forgot to mention i took the nuvaring out and threw it away...be-cus i was afraid ....can somebody help me quick do i need to go see gyno????
|

replied January 28th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
Nope, because there's nothing wrong with you. You do need to go buy another ring >Sad There went $20+ dollars into the trash, what a waste!! You can go buy another ring at the pharmacy.

You ARE NOT PROTECTED RIGHT NOW, so ABSOLUTELY do NOT have unprotected sex!! If you're worried, go buy PLAN-B!

SPOTTING IS NORMAL AND TO BE EXPECTED ON EVERY SINGE KIND OF HORMONAL BIRTH CONTROL.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with you. Increased discharge is also NORMAL and to be expected.
|
Users who thank Tylanas for this post: rosi3