Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Things Are Just Strange

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Does anyone ever look around and feel like life in general and the things around you are just weird? I know who everyone is and where I am and all that, but I look at my family sometimes and I think to myself that it is just weird that I am a living person and this is my family and my life. It kinda scares me. I feel like I am so analytical about any thought I have that seems out of the ordinary or of things around me!!! Any advice and people who can relate?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 21st, 2006
Oh i've felt that. It's called depersonalization. Look it up. I've definitely felt like I was out of my body, for months at a time. But strangely, my anxiety has usually come in phases, and that was always the last stage of it for me. I'm sort of feeling it right now actually. It's no fun, but just try to relax and live life like you normally would. It's uncomfortable, but you're fine. Don't worry.
|

Experienced User
I hate that feeling! I have looked it before and actually have read a lot about it in claire weekes book called "hope and help for your nerves." I knew other people have felt it, but I always feel better when I talk about it and hear feedback from how others handle it! I suffer from anxiety and fear and worry and I notice it a lot when I have that, but lately it has been really bothering me! I feel like I look at things or myself in the mirror to try and see if I am feeling it and I then bring the feeling on!!! I try and relax and live life, but I tend to get really afraid of this feeling! I am scared I have really serious mental condition!!! I know I don't, but I always end up obsessing about it and thinking that!
|

Experienced User
Hi i`ve had that feeling for months on end it really gets much better for me when I stop trying to analyse everything and I put my attention elsewhere. It really helps when I go out and do something and I enjoy it so much that I don`t have time to think about how i`m feeling.

I started to fear this feeling at one point as I felt so weird and distant. I hated it so much and still do but I have to stop thinking about me and life and the point of the universe as no-one knows these questions but of course us anxiety sufferers hate the thought of the unknown as it scares us so much.

It`s hard to ignore but its the only thing that works for me, so much inward thinking is not what our brains were meant for. Try to give yourself a break now and then. It can`t hurt you after all and your certainly not going mad!
|

replied April 9th, 2006
Haha, I can relate as well :d

i've been thinking about things like that lately, to the point that I started questioning the reality of the reality itself. Alas, there are no definitive answers, except that there's reality and life somewhere in the place called universe, and we're part of it. Apparently, someone smarter than us designed it and gave us our purpose in this great design.

Which brings me to my next point - if questions like this bother your, you should definitely seek god, for you won't be able to find better explanations elsewhere :?
|

replied October 30th, 2007
A little late reply maybe, seeing the posts' dates. I was googling after problems with focusing, cognition and attention, then I came here and thought yeah, it's called depersonalisation. It's really about over-analyzing yeah, I've had and still have moments where I have to actually realise for example "This is my father". I've come across it before. I've researched into it a lot, lately I've especially been interested in thinking and reading about introversion. The depersonalisation isn't as bas with me as i'm getting stronger, though my work at the PC doesn't do it that good, I feel better after a day of being busy moving house or working in my new appartment. During my studies, when programming, I used to leave for a few days to help my parents at their farm. Once my doctor only said that when you have problems concentrating it is often a case of needing to exercise more. This afternoon I planned to do that (I have done it regularly enough) but I came across a column which said that music might be better for a person than sports, I liked it and played a while on my keyboard and as I had noticed before it really lifted me up (fulfilled me).

The way I handle it is accepting it and just go on, really not over-analyze all the time. By the way I often have the idea that I'm doing this on purpose, wouldn't know... I also think that only when you doubt things can you be really sure of them (as opposed to just assuming them). As you see, I'm not really focused with this thing itself, I keep thinking and wondering, not all the time... I've really made progress to not collapse over things I might have done wrong, and instead thinking happily about an experience. Also, adressing it only helps already. Another way I've worked is to really join in the conversation, with my family for example, and to finally move again at a concert I went to recently.

I hope this is a bit clear...
|